displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Brake Resurfacing
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Does any one else have trouble now and then from brake judder?

It feels like there are sticky parks of the disk and less sticky parts. Its not a warped disk as you would feel this all the time. I am running EBC Turbo grooved disks and green stuff pads, and they have been great. The disk surface look nice and clean no grooving or pitting.
I've had this for a while and it was really p*ssing me off loads on the way home from work yesterday so I thought I would bed them in again by using the braking from 65-70 down to 30 ish did this in quick secession 6 times until I could smell the hot pads. Then crused home at 60 letting them cool.
Today they feel loads better no judder And tested this from high speed Wink Whistle I am a happy man again. Smile

So how offten do any of you lot re-bed in your brakes? If ever?

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 3rd Oct 2007 at 23:35
roodbwoy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
if they're bedded in properly using the heat cycle method like you have done they should never need doing again.

as far as i'm aware, 'warped discs' is one of those myths that doesn't exist. deposits on the disc and pad surface are what cause the vibrations and in cycling them again, you've effectively got them hot enough to remove them.

i bedded mine in properly in the six and they were faultless Smile

i changed the front pads on the CTR recently but the discs are worn so didn't bother bedding them in. when i get a spare few quid i'll change all4 discs and pads and do a proper job, change fluid aswell.

---
James Hamilton
james@roodbwoy.com
Photo Website
quote:
Lexus lights do not fit on a GTi6. If you install them, your cambelt will immediately snap.
Posted 3rd Oct 2007 at 23:49
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
If you sit in traffic with the brakes on when they are hot from previous use, you can leave deposits on the disc, this causes the judder you're on about.

Mine have been sweet since fitting my new calipers, braided hoses, discs and pads Happy

Cress87 wrote:
This place is getting beyond a joke. There's been an enormous influx of bellends signing up recently

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Team: Hmm™
Posted 4th Oct 2007 at 05:40
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Afternoon all, does rebedding the pads/discs actually work?

Im guessing my Pagid Pad/Brembo Disc combo needs rebedding as when hot and braking from hiigh speeds the steering wheel wobbles quite a lot Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 5th Sep 2009 at 23:16
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Probs didn't as the vibration on those EBC's I had just came back in the end and was worse than ever so they went in the bin. Pics below are of when I took them off.

And fitted XDG maxtorq disks with Mintex M1144 pads all round. As below.

At the moment I have Black diamond XDG disks on the front and maxtroq XDG disks on the rear. Mintex M1144's all round, this is the best set up I have ever had. Pictured below.

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 00:46
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Cool Thumbs up

I have brembo discs on the front so its a little odd Yes Once my broken arm has mended i think i will have to have a look Smile Those EBC discs looked proper shagged Crazy

Just Drive It
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 03:24
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
They wanted re-chamfering too looking at those EBC's.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 06:37
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Do you mean the pads? The M1144's aren't chamfered. Is that why they squeal some times at low speed?

My Cyclone refurb
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 18:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
The holes, but yes, if you give the leading edge of the pad a slight chamfer it should help.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 18:20
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
The EBC's didn't have holes No they were just dimples and as you see they were filling in.

My Cyclone refurb
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 18:23