displaying posts 1 to 17 of 17

Author Subject: Bedding 'em in!
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Another trackday, another set of front discs and pads!Roll eyes
Thing is, after I rooted them at the last Snett trackday I thought I'd beede them in properly by using them gently for the first 1000 miles or so, obviously I'm completely wrong so any advice as to how to PROPERLY bed them in would be much appreciated for when they go on tomorrow (GSF Brembo's & standard Lockheed's BTW).
Had a quick chat with Cosmic about this at Snett but any advice from anyone would be much appreciated by this old school 6 destroyer! Big grin Thumbs up

Steve Big grin

Posted 31st Jul 2005 at 23:04
Welly Forum Admin

Post #2
To bed them by the book..

500 miles easy use.

Life is a lie. The only certainty of which is death. Go live and enjoy yourself. The clock is ticking

Vrs power!!
Posted 31st Jul 2005 at 23:18
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #3
I spoke to MSW who sold me my Mintex, also read a few articles including one by a Ferodo engineer about pads & bedding-in.

OK so we all know that your common or garden car brake works by pads in a hydraulic caliper gripping a rotating disc. But within that there are actually 2 types of friction at work: abrasive & adhesive.

Abrasive friction is what you'd commonly think - pads gripping i.e. rubbing the disc. This happens at start and low temperatures. The pads need to have a decent amount of physical friction to grip a disc when they're cold, something ultra-hard high temp race pads may not Shock

A new set of pads will need to be run-in to allow bits to compress and physical interface with the disc surface (any rut and pits) to marry. So you run them medium gently for the first 75 miles (150 if new discs as well), avoiding emergency stops if possible. This should press the pad together and "break in" the surface of the pads with the disc..

Then there's adhesive friction. This is the one that you're using when the brakes are up and running temp. By depositing a layer of friction pad material onto the disc, when it's hot the brake pad surfaces are making and breaking bonds to the pad material stuck on the disc. Result, even stronger braking Cool This is where temperature by-product is being used to an advantage, and unlike abrasive shouldn't wear your disc down much - worn F1 & race discs can be as thick or even thicker than when put on! Crazy as the pads have deposited their guts onto the disc.

So to complete the bedding process, you need to bed your pads & discs in for the second kind of friction as well.

In plenty of space or on your private airfield accelerate to 60mph, then brake at 80% effort down to 10mph. Take it back up to 60, down to 10mph. Do 8 such stops but avoid coming to a complete halt! At first the braking feel and distance should steadily improve. But note that halfway through the stops you may get a soft pedal, cooked brake smell, even burning! Don't panic, this is called "Green Fade" and is simply solvents and chemicals used in the pad manufacture burning off & consolidating.. Stick with it. Incidentally, full-on race pads get little or no "green fade" so it's all about getting those up to temperature.

Once the above stops are done, take a 15 minute cooling run at motorway speed and avoiding complete stops with the brakes applied. Try the brakes, should feel good. If not let them cool off & repeat above procedure.

Thumbs up

Note about glazing: Yes pads that have exceeded their working temperature may glaze over..this is more common with new discs at same time as pads, but basically be careful what temperature you're putting into them. The 6 is not that heavy a car and on the road doing the above stops should not overheat our pads, but it may take longer to get a decent "abrasive" surface before stop runs can be done.

Hope this helps Whistle

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 2nd Aug 2005 at 11:03
nwphoto

Club Snapper

Post #4
hmmm wonder if that's what happened to mine Unsure.....certainly had a soft pedal & smoke & stuff, but the pedal felt like air in the system (very long & jelly like), which would indicate boiled fluid.
Posted 1st Aug 2005 at 00:49
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Thanks a bunch Mike, great stuff! Thumbs up

Steve Big grin

Posted 1st Aug 2005 at 09:22
Rick_Rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I've never been too 'technical' with my bedding in procedure... I've just driven carefully for 500 ish miles, then steadily worked it up from there and never had any problems with warped discs or anything so far (touch wood)

I've always fitted new discs with new pads though, can't comment on new pads with old discs.

In my personal naive opinion if everything's new and fitted correctly they shouldn't need much bedding in to mate the pads to the discs... say a few gentle stops just to wear away the top surfaces... as Mike said 75 miles of medium/gentle B roads should pretty much do it.

But then I've heard it said a few times that some pads take quite a while to get to their 'best', even 1000 miles I think Kev mentioned for the DS2500 pads... perhaps this is the 'green fade' that Mike was talking about.

Though I appreciate its much more important if its for a track car that you don't use very often so you just want to get everything bedded in asap...

always in stock, just PM me to order
Posted 1st Aug 2005 at 09:32
swervin_mervin

Regular

Post #7
Finally. This is what I heard from someone once on Cliosport but it got rubbished. However I noticed that one of the long termers in CAR was told do do just this by the dealership to remove a "warped disc" sensation.

I'm going to copy a paste this in to a txt file for future info.

Cheers matey.

BTW I never had any troubles with my DS2500s on the low miles but then I gave them hell for leather down a d/c after doing about 100 miles so maybe I inadvertently did the above procedure!
Posted 5th Aug 2005 at 17:59
currymonster

Junior User

Post #8
Heres a bedding in procedure from a company I bought brakes for my previous STI from, pretty similar to mikes above :-

First take some time to plan this procedure………..it needs a reasonable amount of space and time to complete and ideally a traffic free stretch of road.

You need to find a stretch of road where you can do a series of ‘repeatable’ stops from 70mph’ish down to 25mph and accelerate again to 70’ish…………..and the most important step is to then allow the brakes to completely cool!!

Start initially by warming thro’ the brake system with a series of mild stops from 30-10mph – approx’ 6-10 times…………….

Immediately accelerate to your desired speed and brake heavily down to 25-30mph, accelerate again and brake down to 25-30……………..repeat 4-6 times…………..
DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP DURING THIS TIME

After the final stop, carry on at a steady speed and aim to drive for around 10miles/ 10minuts minimum to allow the brake system to cool completely…………..during this time try not to stop or use the brakes…………….obviously if you have no choice then do!!
I find it most preferential to try and join a d/carriageway, motorway, etc. as this allows a steady cruise normally without problems

This is a guide only and we can not accept any responsibility for your actions during this procedure.

Cheers,

Cal
Posted 13th Aug 2005 at 22:20
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Well, followed Mr Spanner's procedure to the letter and it's worked a treat! Big grin
Done my first 14 laps of the Nurburgring at the weekend without a hint of fade or judder ...brilliant! Thumbs up

Steve Big grin

Posted 16th Aug 2005 at 17:56
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #10
Glad to be of some service Thumbs up Happy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 16th Aug 2005 at 18:28
jon kirby

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
gsf brembos are shite and thats official, no amount of bedding in will stop them f*ckers warping No
Posted 16th Aug 2005 at 19:53
Rick_Rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
quote:
gsf brembos are shite and thats official, no amount of bedding in will stop them f*ckers warping No

Allegedly Wink

Mine are fine Smug

always in stock, just PM me to order
Posted 16th Aug 2005 at 20:04
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
quote:
quote:

Allegedly Wink

Mine are fine Smug
Mellow The point of this thread is to air and share what I've proven is good knowledge via Mike, I feel I've given them the hardest test in the shortest time possible...if you don't agree...Mellow

Steve Big grin

Posted 16th Aug 2005 at 23:13
jon kirby

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
i don't doubt that what you have put is incorrect, it's just that i am on my third set of gsf brembos and these have gone exactly the same way and i bedded them as i should have, all sets have been fine for a few k then they warp, fook knows why Blink
Posted 17th Aug 2005 at 11:38
keir

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Guide I always follow

clicky

Ex Rallye Owner | DIEsel power | Laguna Dci Dynamique
Posted 24th Mar 2006 at 16:12
mr whippy

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Yep, I did that with new Textar pads and Lockheed discs, smoked a bit after the first set, but got better and better.
Second set they were just un-flappable. Didn't fade or get pedal rise or anything. Just solid stop after stop, and I had two passengers in too as ballast Smile

No judder, no weakness. Went on a 180 mile hoon the next day with no qualms or worries.

Still solid as a rock.

Method works a treat!

Dave

Team not a 306
Posted 25th Mar 2006 at 11:45
panholio

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
My mintex discs and pads have taken ages to bed in (1000plus miles). I had a go at the above procedure after they were fitted, did work to some extent.

They have got better and better now though. I drive a lot of other cars regularly at work (usually foci, mondeos, vectras) and they all put into perspective how good the 6 brakes are. I get back in mine after a long drive in a work car and I'm always shocked, first by how heavy the clutch is( Crazy ) and then how good the brakes are.

Did have an MG ZR hire car the other day though that had very good brakes.
Posted 25th Mar 2006 at 18:50

This thread has been locked