displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Update December 2023
rikky 🦔

Post #1
I thought I'd post a quick thread up to explain what is going on with the site etc, as you may have noticed a few minor alterations and things 'seemingly broke', so will explain.

A bit ago I took over the running of the site/domain in it's entirety, and the intention was to just leave it as it is until I can update a few things. This is proving a little problematic for a few reasons, but not the end of the world.

In the interim I've integrated SSL (secure) pages throughout, but I intend eventually to:

• Redo whole site, new responsive/up to date forum software that's nice on phones, tablet, desktop etc.

• Save all the FAQ's (already backed up myself)

• Point old forum FAQ url's to new FAQ's - as I realise there's 20+ years of links across the web to pages on this site as they stand now, and redoing the site will mean the URL's change somewhat.

• Run some advertising campaigns and get some sponsors onboard

• Have proper section for forum advertisers/garages/trusted members etc

• I realise overall the GTi-6 market is getting smaller, but the site still gets thousands and thousands of hits to FAQ pages, advice thread and whatnot.

I have ran into a few problems though when trying to keep the site as is over the past couple of months, and it's becoming harder to keep the site "as is" without impacting something else, such as the New User Registration won't work at the moment and updating profiles is problematic. Without boring you to death this is mainly due to the PHP version the website is currently coded in, which is fine, but is old now and needs refreshing - so backwards compatibility is proving hard work.

As such, a lot of functions within the code are deprecated and need substantially editing to remain working. I've been doing them one at a time as they pop up, but it's getting tricky now. Each issue I fix, I encounter another, or two, and then need to go back to amend the very first one again to work with the second and third.

So ultimately the website is going to just have to plod along as you see it for now until I can delegate enough time to sort it out and redo a whole new site.

There will also be a small fee of £10/month to continue to use the website - just kidding I intend to keep the site free for everyone, forever, assuming it's viable to do everything without an enormous cost to myself. It would be a shame to lose what we have here now as there's so much information and content that is extremely useful. Obviously new forum software and servers/hosting costs money, but as I am super-rich I can just get it up and running first and worry about that later.

Comments, questions, suggestions etc all welcome, within reason Razz

PM, reply here, or Email: rich@306gti6.com

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 21st Dec 2023 at 11:55
    alcon

Senior User

Post #2
    Thanks for the update.

Is there anyway missing photos from older posts can be resurrected, or does this depend on the original poster reposting? Attaching images has long been a difficulty for many and still seems to cause problems in the most recent posts. Is there a better way of doing this?

A better search function would also be good but I'm sure you have enough on your plate sorting out all the other issues!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
    1999 Rallye (black)
    Posted 21st Dec 2023 at 13:45
    rikky 🦔

Post #3
    alcon wrote:
    Thanks for the update.

Is there anyway missing photos from older posts can be resurrected, or does this depend on the original poster reposting? Attaching images has long been a difficulty for many and still seems to cause problems in the most recent posts. Is there a better way of doing this?

A better search function would also be good but I'm sure you have enough on your plate sorting out all the other issues!

all the missing images are because people hosted them elsewhere, and they were never kept there (or deleted / image accounts removed) so now they appear as dead links Sad tricky situation as otherwise they all need hosting on the site itself, which ultimately requires space / bandwidth. but, this shouldn't be an issue to self-host images going forward on the new site when it's here.

the search functions will be much better too, basically the whole experience will be up to scratch and modernised

fingers crossed anyway!

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 21st Dec 2023 at 14:00
    marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
    Nice one for taking it on and keeping it going Thumbs up

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 21st Dec 2023 at 14:05
    ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    Nice work keeping it going.

I still dip in regular and its a great source of info

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
    Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
    Posted 21st Dec 2023 at 15:57
    Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    Well done Ricky and fair play to keep it going Thumbs up
    Posted 21st Dec 2023 at 16:57
    gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #7
    cracking work,..

it was definitely the right thing to leave the forum in more caperble hands! Clapping

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
    Posted 22nd Dec 2023 at 00:05
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
    Nice one Ricky.

I hereby pronounce you 'MOTM, December 2023' for your continued efforts.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 2nd Jan 2024 at 11:01