displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Thoughts on owning a 6 or Rallye in 2023?
Jimbamboon2

Post #1
Hi, was a member on here about 10+ years ago when i had my XSI and subsequent 6. Found the forum ridiculously helpful, especially the FAQ section. Sadly the 6 is long gone but i've had strong feelings of nostalgia recently and the urge to get another 6 is too strong to fend off. I guess the landscape has changed somewhat since 10 years ago and i notice that some parts are getting hard to source not to mention the price of the cars having gone up. I'm probably asking on the wrong forum but if you didn't own a 6 already would you be taking one on in 2023?

Ta
Posted 22nd Sep 2023 at 12:41
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Depends what you are wanting it for. I've owned my rallye now for coming on 18 years. So glad I've never got rid and still enjoy the b road blasts in it despite it being pretty much a track car now.

In comparison to modern stuff they are massively underpowered but still fun to drive.

As for parts. Yes it's getting much harder to get hold of stuff, so much so I've just bought a "parts car" to rip down and give me a load of spares to hopefully keep the rallye going another 10 years or so.

It's mad to think I can easily pick up a lot more parts for my 50 plus year old camper than I cam for the 306

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 22nd Sep 2023 at 15:58
Jimbamboon2

Post #3
Yeah it'd be more as a weekend occasional use car than the daily. I work from home so wouldn't use it to commute. I guess that means if it is off the road for a bit for whatever reason it wouldn't impact too much.
Posted 22nd Sep 2023 at 16:41
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I ran one every day for over ten years clocking up about 280,000 miles with no engine problems.

If it hadn't got stolen, it would probably now be ober 300,000 miles and still going.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 5th Oct 2023 at 23:50
Jimbamboon2

Post #5
rudolf wrote:
I ran one every day for over ten years clocking up about 280,000 miles with no engine problems.

If it hadn't got stolen, it would probably now be ober 300,000 miles and still going.

Thats awesome
Posted 6th Oct 2023 at 10:16
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
James I sent you a PM to jimbamboon2 for access back into jimbamboon

Dave

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 13th Oct 2023 at 13:06
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #7
A late reply (what's 'late' on the forum these days?) but I'd say it's still ok to take one on in 2023. I've had my 6 for 16 years and in that time its purpose has completely changed for me. A 6 or Rallye is clearly not a viable choice for a daily in 2023 for a number of reasons, so you need to view it as a hobby/weekend car.

If you view it as such, and can get one in good enough condition for a price you're happy paying, then it's still a good car to own and drive on B roads.

My 6 was a daily for many years in the 00s-teens when the car (and I) was much younger, then was laid up for several more years during a career change and relocation. This was during the time they were worth 30p and everyone was breaking them because they had bird s**t on the roof. I thought, 'if it's worthless then why sell?'. Take a look at the price for a decent 6 now.

I now use mine only between ~April to ~Sept to avoid the salt, and even then mainly in the dry. Since the first lockdown I've embarked upon a restorative process each winter to make it as close to new as I can, at least in the aspects that matter for the driving experience. Parts are definitely harder to find. I've had to make compromises where OE or OEM parts are unavailable sometimes. C'est la vie...

In time it will become very difficult to repair certain parts of a 6/Rallye. Some vehicles make it into the hall of fame whereby many decades later parts will still be availble, as Ben alluded to above for his camper (assume a kombi). I don't think the 306 will be one of them.

But f**k it; choose not to see this as a strategic portfolio investment but for the fun that the car can be for the time you own it, and for the memories it can bring back.
Posted 13th Oct 2023 at 22:54
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #8
heliosphan wrote:
A late reply (what's 'late' on the forum these days?) but I'd say it's still ok to take one on in 2023. I've had my 6 for 16 years and in that time its purpose has completely changed for me. A 6 or Rallye is clearly not a viable choice for a daily in 2023 for a number of reasons, so you need to view it as a hobby/weekend car.

If you view it as such, and can get one in good enough condition for a price you're happy paying, then it's still a good car to own and drive on B roads.

My 6 was a daily for many years in the 00s-teens when the car (and I) was much younger, then was laid up for several more years during a career change and relocation. This was during the time they were worth 30p and everyone was breaking them because they had bird s**t on the roof. I thought, 'if it's worthless then why sell?'. Take a look at the price for a decent 6 now.

I now use mine only between ~April to ~Sept to avoid the salt, and even then mainly in the dry. Since the first lockdown I've embarked upon a restorative process each winter to make it as close to new as I can, at least in the aspects that matter for the driving experience. Parts are definitely harder to find. I've had to make compromises where OE or OEM parts are unavailable sometimes. C'est la vie...

In time it will become very difficult to repair certain parts of a 6/Rallye. Some vehicles make it into the hall of fame whereby many decades later parts will still be availble, as Ben alluded to above for his camper (assume a kombi). I don't think the 306 will be one of them.

But f**k it; choose not to see this as a strategic portfolio investment but for the fun that the car can be for the time you own it, and for the memories it can bring back.

Thumbs up Yeah it'd not be a daily, just a weekend toy, benefits of which mean the additional mileage would be minimum. Feel like its a bit now or never with the 6, just need to find a reasonably priced half decent one now!

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 14th Oct 2023 at 08:44
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
owned mine 12years next week and been on here just over 10years and missed the glory days sadly on here for sure ..

bought mine 12years ago off my mechanic friend for £1000.00 totally standard to drive as a daily for 18months ...
do what i sadly do to all my cars = personalise them good or Bad

got the bug at Prescott and then Castle Combe trackdays and now it's just got totally out of hand and it's scary to think how much money i've spent getting one off things made or modded to try and get it to where im happy - if theres such a thing ...

All i can say about this (madness) is ive enjoyed every penny (i couldn't afford) and time i spent doing it and this car has honestly kept me alive through a terrible painful split up 12yrs ago from my long term partner and especially my two young children at the time ..crazy expensive ...
(i shouldnt have any morgage at my age now but sadly do Thumbs down )

i honestly owe my (sanity) and (life) to this car and i feel it needs to get finished at any cost now ( i owe the car that ) ...then maybe ill sell it complete for peanuts ? (it's not worth much breaking it ) and wont be a option as its been modded or made for one purpose....getting around a track and up Prescott as fast as possible...crazy when you think about it ...

As far as standard bits ?...apart from the 6 engine and main shell can't include doors or any removable panels ?...i can't think of much 6 stuff left on it ???

for me personally owning a 6 now in 2023 is more expensive than ever with what im doing (technically and high performance wise ) bits has rocketed in price...

love you dont see many of them about too

to me personally it's still that same 6 i bought and loved and bought a massive smile to my face and it got me through some Dark Days ( be it will look and go a little differently - again one day in the future when it finally gets finished ...hopefully before petrol stations disappear
Posted 18th Oct 2023 at 21:51
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #10
Day666 wrote:
owned mine 12years next week and been on here just over 10years and missed the glory days sadly on here for sure ..

bought mine 12years ago off my mechanic friend for £1000.00 totally standard to drive as a daily for 18months ...
do what i sadly do to all my cars = personalise them good or Bad

got the bug at Prescott and then Castle Combe trackdays and now it's just got totally out of hand and it's scary to think how much money i've spent getting one off things made or modded to try and get it to where im happy - if theres such a thing ...

All i can say about this (madness) is ive enjoyed every penny (i couldn't afford) and time i spent doing it and this car has honestly kept me alive through a terrible painful split up 12yrs ago from my long term partner and especially my two young children at the time ..crazy expensive ...
(i shouldnt have any morgage at my age now but sadly do Thumbs down )

i honestly owe my (sanity) and (life) to this car and i feel it needs to get finished at any cost now ( i owe the car that ) ...then maybe ill sell it complete for peanuts ? (it's not worth much breaking it ) and wont be a option as its been modded or made for one purpose....getting around a track and up Prescott as fast as possible...crazy when you think about it ...

As far as standard bits ?...apart from the 6 engine and main shell can't include doors or any removable panels ?...i can't think of much 6 stuff left on it ???

for me personally owning a 6 now in 2023 is more expensive than ever with what im doing (technically and high performance wise ) bits has rocketed in price...

love you dont see many of them about too

to me personally it's still that same 6 i bought and loved and bought a massive smile to my face and it got me through some Dark Days ( be it will look and go a little differently - again one day in the future when it finally gets finished ...hopefully before petrol stations disappear

Thumbs up It's amazing what a lump of metal glass and rubber can achieve! I haven't been behind the wheel of one for a long time so not sure if my perception will have changed having owned standard heavy 300 bhp VAG cars since, although none have felt quite as sharp handling wise and I'm quite bored of new engines with all their torque dumped at the bottom of the rev range. I like to work for my torque LOL

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 19th Oct 2023 at 09:53
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
it is that James Thumbs up
Posted 19th Oct 2023 at 18:43
Joep

Regular

Post #12
I have to be honest, I do not drive any of my 306 GTI6 s as a daily. My daily is a Skoda Octavia iV… more power, yes. More comfortable… in terms of sound for ling distance drive: yes. In terms of seating: no.

But, when it comes to enjoying the ride: I would take the GTI6! I drove it as a daily for years! Big smile on my face! Every. Single. Time! The handling, the agility, the speed (experience), the sound… a modern car cannot come close to the joy the GTI6 brings. And that is worth quite some money, in my opinion!

In about 2 years my leasing contract ends and will be replaced by car allowance… good chance a GTI6 will be my daily again!

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 21st Oct 2023 at 08:07
aircool

Post #13
It is getting hard to find parts and keep them going, this is from my perspective in Devon. Fortunately I do have a very understanding garage, they do advertise the fact they are PSA friendly and can get genuine parts at reasonable prices or can work with me to find parts etc.

Not impossible so far though.

I am struggling to do routine stuff due to time and back problems at the moment so it may be time for me to pass the baton on to someone who will perhaps retire it as a weekend toy or other plan. At 209k miles she is doing fairly well although there are a few tasks that someone may want to do long term. It will still do 38-40MPG on my commute on dual carriage ways and had no problem in racking up just shy of 700 miles during a recent French trip!
Posted 22nd Oct 2023 at 10:11
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
sadly the gti6 is underpowered in this day and age, but i find it still outhandles most other cars.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 14th Nov 2023 at 16:25
Joep

Regular

Post #15
It is not only about power. It is the total experience Wink

Fast acceleration in straight line gets boring, it is going through corners and accelerating out of these corners that is most fun. Heavy new cars hardly can do that...

It is a saying:

New cars make you feel comfortable, old cars make you feel alive!

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 15th Nov 2023 at 08:29