displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Engine tapping
charliepug

Post #1
Hi guys thanks for accepting me to forum.
Just picked my first gti6 up on Sunday. Unfortuanelty it's a tapper. After doing some research I see this is quite common. The tap is there whether the engine is cold or warm so I think bent valve. It also seems down on power but having never sat in a gti6 not 100%. Just going by bum dyno it's not 170 horses. The timing belt was done at 118k miles and the car is now on 132k. The bottom pulley wasn't changed at this time. What should be my first port of call? I have a spare head which I'm told is good but haven't verified myself. I have a timing belt kit and new pulley on the way as I planned on just sticking it on and hoping for best but not 100% sure after hearing of other breaking valves. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Posted 3rd Nov 2020 at 20:48
charliepug

Post #2
Forgot to mention the timing belt was done roughly 14k miles ago however this was 8 years ago. Milage appears geninue with mot history showing 2-3k between mots. Assming the bottom pulley has perished and given enough movement in belt to just kiss a valve? Or am I miles off. Any help or info appreciated thanks
Posted 3rd Nov 2020 at 20:52
Joep

Regular

Post #3
5 years (some say 4) is the maximum age of a timing belt on a GTI6.

50k kn (someone overhere can tell you what that is in miles) is the maximum. Guess when there is movement in the belt, this might cause tapping.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 3rd Nov 2020 at 21:53
charliepug

Post #4
Cheers going to do belt this Saturday, was told I'm best to use 205 gti bottom pulley to time it, just wanted to double check it's the 1.9 as forgot to ask
Posted 4th Nov 2020 at 08:52
Joep

Regular

Post #5
Yes. That is a solid one that will get the timing right. The GTi6 one might be a bit off...

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 4th Nov 2020 at 09:05
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #6
Joep wrote:
5 years (some say 4) is the maximum age of a timing belt on a GTI6.

50k kn (someone overhere can tell you what that is in miles) is the maximum. Guess when there is movement in the belt, this might cause tapping.

36000 miles or 5 years. Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 4th Nov 2020 at 21:25
charliepug

Post #7
Thanks for info. Will do belt and pulley this Saturday hopefully and update on how I get on 👍👍
Posted 5th Nov 2020 at 07:32