displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: head gasket
Laytj

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all, Just after some information on the head gasket, are these a serious weakness on the 2.0 gti/rallye engine? And if theyve failed once do they tend to fail again? As ive seen a car which has had the head gasket done twice only 10,000 miles apart. Thanks everyone

L james
Posted 19th Feb 2020 at 18:24
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #2
Not a particular weakness, although there is a fair few had them replaced.

What is essential is that the head is skimmed. Id suggest if it failed again within 10k, it either wasn't skimmed, the job wasn't done properly or something else in the cooling system failed.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 19th Feb 2020 at 18:32
Laytj

Junior User

Post #3
Hi Ben thanks for that, When the job is done correctly they generally last out ok then do they?

P.S. I just noticed I put this in the For Sale section.

Thanks

L james
Posted 19th Feb 2020 at 19:40
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
Laytj wrote:

Thanks

Fixed! Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 19th Feb 2020 at 20:07
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #5
Laytj wrote:
Hi Ben thanks for that, When the job is done correctly they generally last out ok then do they?

Thanks

Generally, yes, they are as good as new.

There is only so far you can skim an XU10J4RS head though and it's not a huge amount given they are an interference engine and are bloody close from stock.

I can't remember the max amount you can skim them but there's a reference point you can use on the head to tell....

Make sure the rest of the cooling system is good too. Water pump, t/stat, radiator, fans etc. I've always found these engines are ok temp wise when driving but get hot in traffic pretty quickly. Any weakness in any other bits is likely to lead to the engine getting very hot if you do a lot of driving in traffic.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 19th Feb 2020 at 20:23
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
From memory i think it's assumed safe to skim up to 0.2mm off with standard thickness head gaskets. Standard head gaskets should compress to 1.2mm thick (also from memory, so don't quote me 100% on that one) but i think 1.4mm thick 'repair' gaskets are available to help improve clearance if a heavier skim has been done.
An unskimmed head should measure 137mm from the head gasket mating face to the top machined face where the cam carrier ladder sits.

As Ben has said they're as good as new if a good job has been done when replacing and the head has been skimmed. A somewhat common problem with these cars is dodgy wiring for the cooling fans/relays so keep an eye on the temperatures when sat in traffic as that can cook the gasket. Assuming the air con isn't working like the vast majority there's a guide somewhere on here to show you what pins you can bridge so that pressing the A/C button will turn the radiator fans on, giving you the option to manually regulate the temperature.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 19th Feb 2020 at 21:14
Laytj

Junior User

Post #7
Thanks for all your help everyone. Much appreciated

L james
Posted 20th Feb 2020 at 03:56
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #8
I think a few have attributed head gasket failure to leaking/failing/failed heater matrix so worth checking that. Symptoms are damp passenger footwell & 'steam' coming from your dash vents.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 20th Feb 2020 at 08:13