displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Engine mapped
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Finally got my engine mapped, fairly pleased with the results. Decided to keep the revs sensible for a while so limiters set at 8k rpm, although its still pulling so may go to 8500.

Its not looking great on a leak down test, I suspect the rings aren't sealing as I turned the engine over a lot, like hundreds of times whilst building it, trying new ways to get decent valve>valve clearance, compression is ok, but obviously its not ideal, so will strip the bottom end, redo the crosshatch and put new rings in at some point. In the end I had to alter the exhaust cam timing to generate enough clearance.

The next head I do though will take into account long duration cams and will be built to suit!

Its still on the BTCC exhaust manifold, so when time allows I'm going to make my own/adapt the btcc one to suit the cams, and also alter the inlet length so the torque is rising rather than dipping at 8k rpm (anyone know what causes torque to go up and down like that, all my engines have done it!).

Spec is-

Kent PT85s, springs and buckets
G+S Valves
Wossner Pistons machined to suit
Arrow Rods
Steel crank (btcc spec 45mm big ends)
Jenvey 48s
DTA S80
Pace Dry Sump kit

PS. Figures are at the wheels. Works out about 181lbft and 250bhp although I wouldn't trust the figures entirely as my car only had half each of its front tyres on the rolling road, and its a rolling road...

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 26th Aug 2016 at 22:51
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Nice Pete very nice how it feels driving is more important than the figures though mate 👍

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 26th Aug 2016 at 23:46
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #3
Pete, looks good! Where did u get to map it in the end??

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 27th Aug 2016 at 02:08
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Looks great Pete Thumbs up
Is this the Engine Longman built once-upon-a-time ?
Posted 27th Aug 2016 at 17:14
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It was mapped at a place very local to me, called Day tuner. Started off mapping it myself but it was taking ages getting used to the dyno controls etc so let him take over. It was already running pretty well on the old map so didn't take long.

Only downside is his rolling road is tiny, so my wheels were overhanging the rollers. Not ideal but seemed to work!

It's got all sorts of bits in it, the rods and crank are from my Longmans engine, the cams I bought from Darrell I think on here, the pistins, springs, buckets and valves were all new. The head is newly done, not an old one.

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 27th Aug 2016 at 17:22
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Nice figures have you got a build thread anywhere? Nice to see some n/a monsters being built lately
Posted 27th Aug 2016 at 19:17
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
No build thread unfortunately, but hundreds of pictures so ask if theres anything in particular you want to know!

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 27th Aug 2016 at 21:45