displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: MA gearbox
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #1
Hi to all you knowledgeable folk out there, just bought myself a Xsara 1.4 with the MA geabox, to use as a run around while I start work on the 306.
Bought it cheap with a noise coming either from the gearbox or diveshafts. While driving in any gear with my foot on the throttle its perfect but when I take my foot off the gas and coast it makes a knocking/ticking sound which seems to be coming from the drive shaft area or even the gearbox. Its a regular noise probably at driveshaft speed not wheel speed and will make the noise even coasting in neutral or with my foot on the clutch between gear changes.

Jacked the car up on Sunday and checked around under the engine but can't see anything rubbing or close to rubbing on the driveshafts. Rotated both wheels, pulled and pushed the driveshafts and it all feels ok without any noise or vibration anywhere. Started the engine and put it in second gear, let the wheels rotate and still no noise except for an occasional clonk that comes from the diff or bell housing.
The only thing was that the right hand wheel, longer shaft turned very little compared to the other wheel/shaft, I think this is normal though.
Clutch biting point feels alright, clutch lever sounds a bit squeeky though and all the gears go in and out without problem.

So now I'm unsure which driveshaft to change or put another gearbox in.

Anyone know of another diagnosis I could try out please.

Rouben.
Posted 8th Feb 2016 at 13:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
diff bearings shot is most likely.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Feb 2016 at 14:05
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
How's the oil ???

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 8th Feb 2016 at 15:25
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #4
Well that was my thought also but was hoping it would be an easier job than that. Anyway it looks simple to take off and I will change the clutch at the same time.
Anybody got an MA 5 speed box for sale?.
Posted 8th Feb 2016 at 15:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Yep, my old one, which took me funking ages to find a good one with the shorter diff - it's an early single linkage one though.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Feb 2016 at 20:12
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #6
I know there are lots of different MA boxes out there, need to check which one is fitted on mine first. Long time ago used to have a special one on the 205 Rallye TU24.
Posted 9th Feb 2016 at 13:38
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Code is 20CC26, has the 4.3:1 final drive in it instead of the longer 4:1 that was usually fitted.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Feb 2016 at 22:48