displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: ITB single air inlet
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
This sounds crazy, and it is, but the championship I'm hoping to race in is requiring that there be a single point of air coming in to the engine so they can fit a restrictor plate.

My new engine is running ITBs so I'm going to have to find a way to make some sort of plenum to feed them from a single point. It is bloody stupid but I really dont' want to lose the bodies as I spent ages building this engine up and would be a waste of money to not use them now.

Any ideas on plenums I could use or a good design I could copy?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 10:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
You're going to have to check the regulations for what you can actually have behind the restrictor - sometimes there are very specific sizes and lengths between that and the throttle body. However, if it's all free, then there's going to be 2 basic rules to a restricted plenum:

1) Make sure your trumpets stand clear of the plenum wall, at least half an inch, more would be better.
2) Make the volume of the plenum as large as you physically can. You get a good gulp of unrestricted air every time you open the throttle then....Wink
You'll want at least 4 litres of volume, much more would be better.

What restrictor do you have to run, is it one they fit or one you can make yourself and they check? You can flow a lot more air through a properly designed restrictor than just a flat plate with a hole in...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:13
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Lots of that hasn't been decided yet! I'm pushing to get more info but from what you're saying it sounds solvable? I know I'll have to get the map tweaked, just have to accept that.

I wonder if it's worth getting a low rad to give me more space near the inlets to build a big plenum?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I would stick as much as you physically can in, even if it means running the intake backwards and drawing in from the rear of the bonnet by the windscreen, because you might find you want the length in the intake pipe to get a nicely shaped restrictor in (even if they're using a bolt in plate, nothing to stop you shaping the inlet before and after it Razz )

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:18
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Completely agree Smile Sounds like it'll be an interesting design. Once I get more regs I'll update this thread to see if anyone has a good design. This isn't my area of expertise!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yeah, restricted plenums are quite a different ball game to what you'd run normally. The mapping can be a little more tricky too as your tip in effects need to last much longer to compensate for the plenum pressure getting pulled down slower when you have a larger volume. You can fudge it just mapping the fuel but obviously then it changes with the gear you're in as the revs climb faster, so make sure your mapper runs in more than one gear on the dyno.

Email me!
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:25
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I got quite p**sy with the organiser when they introduced the rule, more money to spend!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:23
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
More restrictions always ends up requiring more money tbfh. People never believe me when I say that, but consider ours is one of the cheapest sports going to get into and has no engine regs at all....run what you can shoehorn in.

Email me!
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:27
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I'm not sure where to put the air filter in the plenum setup either. Right next to the restrictor or use some sort of panel like the maxis

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Behind the restrictor unless you can run a big panel with little pressure drop - you want as much pressure upstream as you can get. The denser the air at the venturi the more air you can flow even when it's choked.

Email me!
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 11:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
what size restrictor?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 13:15
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
No idea. All that's been announced is that all cars (N/A and FI) will have to run a restrictor where the size will vary depending on class.

There's a lot of unknowns at the moment which is a bit of a ballache. Considering the car currently only has brake and clutch pedals and a brake servo, I have lots of other things to get on with first Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 13:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Does that mean the forced induction cars will be running in your class wth a restrictor? If so you're fooked

Email me!
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 13:50
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Yup although they'll have a different size restrictor to me (I hope!). Currently they're all limited to 34mm I think. All FI cars have to run a 25kg ballast as well

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 13:52
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
think I'd be going elsewhere!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 14:47
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I went up against the FI cars with this year and did well enough, don't see it changing much next year. If there is a big issue with the regs then they'll make adjustments

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 14:55
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
With a 34mm restrictor they're going to stomp all over the N/A cars the minute someone builds one right, they'll be able to push ~340bhp and ~450lbft with a 2 litre.

Email me!
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 17:31
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
It's also a power to weight series as well so although they could have that much power, they'd be too powerful. The 34mm restrictor is the standard MSA one, not something specific for the championship.

What would be a better thing to do is to get a map that puts you at your peak power as early as possible and stays there. That way you're running at the top of the class for most of the rev range rather than me who peaks.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 17:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
That is exactly what they would do, hence the 450lbft+ of torque, they'd be near full power by 3.5krpm.

Email me!
Posted 21st Dec 2015 at 23:15
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #20
Time for a turbo.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 22nd Dec 2015 at 10:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I haven't even driven the ITB engine yet!

Low boost might have been a better option but when I built the engine aftermarket supercharging wasn't allowed. If it doesn't go well then fine, it'll still sound good just be slow Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Dec 2015 at 10:14
Twangy

Senior User

Post #22
need to find out what size restrictor you have to run first , and then design airbox , or decide on other route to go

wayne mcardle
Posted 22nd Dec 2015 at 14:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #23
I'd go to a different series tbh, unless they see sense and class n-a differently to boosted, and not restricted.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Dec 2015 at 14:35