displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Rear strut, Exhaust.
shabusta

Regular

Post #1
Is there anyway to get the rear strut off without removing the back box,
if not what is the proper way to remove the back box?

bottom bolt is fine its the top bolt that i cant seem to fit anything onto without being block by something else.

mounting clips and manifold bracket,
do you have to break / bend the bracket that holds the bushes in place to remove them?

Old Vs New
Posted 28th Nov 2015 at 09:29
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Think its possible with a long bar over the top of the box may need to drop the mounts of
but its probably easier to remove the box get a new clamp and some putty wire brush correct spanners brush up old clamp bit of wd40 take of clamp then soap up rubber mounts will make it easier to remove bushes,,
rest is obvious when you get in there very simple remove mounts drop box off

When putting box back make sure you line the exhaust up re mount first i use a block of wood to prop up the centre box just while the clamp is tightened up ,working on the floor,

Simples Smile !dont break it !

Dont bend or break anything once clamp is off and exhaust is seperated wil be fiddly with the rubbers but they will come off without damage Smile

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 28th Nov 2015 at 21:24
shabusta

Regular

Post #3
Tried going over the top but the heat shield is in the way,
ordered some stainless anodized clips when i got the wheels from Demon Tweeks,
soap sounds good bit of K&Y, the mid sections clip was broken and the rubber wasn't even touching the exhaust,
made it easy to get the poly bush on which took up a fair bit of slack, you can just see the red in the first photo.

i bet you are just a little bit happy to finally see some rust on my car Thumbs up
Posted 29th Nov 2015 at 01:35
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
You can bend the heat shield enough with a couple of long extensions over the top (better with multiples rather than one long one, gives you a bit of flex).
The rubbers just pull off the hangers but years of heat means they're usually stuck, push a screwdriver between them to free them off and spray some WD40 under it to get around the rest, should be easy then.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th Nov 2015 at 01:46
shabusta

Regular

Post #5
^cheers mate, just gave them a spray ill get onto it this arfternoon,
I will just take the box off, good practice, and get the poly bushes on.

They seem to move fine arfter all these years, it was just getting them off the clip/hanger.

You should go to bed
Posted 29th Nov 2015 at 02:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Probably.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th Nov 2015 at 03:17
shabusta

Regular

Post #7
Over all it did not go to bad, i did cut one of the bushes off but that was more patience than anything.

Should i start a new thread in Exhausts for this?

i did however find where my 15 years of rust went, it is all in the exhaust system, should i be looking into replacing this,
or as previously this isnt that bad and i should stop complaining about rust?

this is all out of the inside of the back box.

into the midsection.

from mid section into back box

into the exhaust from the tip.

Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 05:47
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Mild steel exhaust systems rust from the inside out due to the water produced from the combustion process in the engine. This is particularly common if the car isn't driven often as you then get water sitting in the exhaust for extended periods of time.

If the outside of the system is okay without any holes I'd keep running it for now and consider replacing when it's beginning to leak a lot rather than when there is surface rust on the inside.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 06:46
shabusta

Regular

Post #9
^ awesome, thanks Big grin
The exterior is perfect apart from the hangars which are rusty.
and i already have stainless U clamps on the way to replace all the old ones.
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 06:51
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
If you're really bothered about the appearance of the outside you could sand it all down and then paint it with silver VHT paint. The rust will eventually come through though.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 30th Nov 2015 at 12:13