displaying posts 1 to 25 of 26

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Rollcages
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi all,

I'm seriously looking at cages now with a view to getting one fitted over the winter, however im struggling to understand the pro's and con's of weld in vs bolt in bar the obvious rigidity benefits for the chasis

My preference is to get one welded in, but wondered (looking at the classifieds) whether its viable to weld in a bolt in cage (e.g a safetfy devices cage?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chris
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 07:13
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yes you can weld in a bolt in cage, just means welding it to the chassis instead of bolting it. Your best option is for their of the cage to mount to the axle points as that's the strongest point at the rear of the car. But nothing wrong with bolt in cages, a lot of bolt in cages are still dis approved for racing

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 07:21
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Its a tricky one, i googled it and most are fairly critical about bolt in cages, so i guess its weighing up the cost of fabrication/weld in vs a cheaper 6 point type cage
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 07:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
It's a bit pointless welding in a bolt in cage, it won't make it much stronger.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 08:30
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Thanks noted, just seen that custom cages are going bump, who do people recommend?
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 08:42
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have a bolt in cage that's welded in. Both Carl and I run OMP cages and I've got no problem with it. It weighs absolutely nothing and am confident it'll save me in a crash.

One of the key things is to make sure it's installed properly. I've seen some properly s**t installs in some race cars! My spare Rallye has a horrible cage in it, I don't really trust it and wouldn't want to race it.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 09:56
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Thanks Dan that is very useful thanks. :-)
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 10:01
rikky 🦔

Post #8
where did you find the info about CC going bump?

their FB page (looks new) states otherwise

i heard the same thing last night, that Rodger was folding the company

it would be a fantastic bit of news as their customer support is absolutely terrible and some shocking quality of items comes out of there. One person has currently got MSA involved with the quality of workmanship on a cage fitted to his car in the last day or so from what I can see

(yes I have had experience of dealing with them and they're horrific!)

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 13:11
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
rikky wrote:
where did you find the info about CC going bump?

i heard the same thing last night, that Rodger was folding the company

it would be a fantastic bit of news as their customer support is absolutely terrible and some shocking quality of items comes out of there. One person has currently got MSA involved with the quality of workmanship on a cage fitted to his car in the last day or so from what I can see

(yes I have had experience of dealing with them and they're horrific!)

Its all over facebook in various track sections, some really bad work apparently from there and then a comment they are folding shortly after - that said i dont know them so cant testify to its accuracy

A good friend has literally just taken delivery of his cage from there, he must have been very lucky to get it in time...

Shame really as i must say his looks awesome, but clearly others have had issues.

The search continues!
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 13:13
Twangy

Senior User

Post #10
take into consideration what you are using car for , road and odd trackday , or just motorsport , if just odd track day , bolt in as easier access compared to proper weld in x door bars and can still have back seat , you can also add extra fixing points with bolt in , and add extra cds tubing , proper weld in cage do stiffen shell a hell off a lot more , and look the dogs dangly,s but cost a lot more and if you cant weld you've got the added expense of paying for install , I have used both and install both , so on the fence with this one

wayne mcardle
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 13:53
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
i have an omp cage and I like it

Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 14:39
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Chr1sch wrote:
Thanks noted, just seen that custom cages are going bump, who do people recommend?

I'd recommend having a word with phillipm, he will make you a cage to your spec. He did mine and did a top job of it, it made a huge difference to chassis rigidity with it tied in to the beam mounting points and front struts. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 16:04
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Oh that sounds very cool, where is he based?

FYI just seen a note on FB from custom cages saying they aren't going bump...
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 20:39
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Mine was a custom weld in by a guy at X-sport. The whole car feels mega because of it.

Speak to PhilipM before you do anything

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 23:24
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Careful how it works through the dashboard / bulkhead. I can only run a single middle wiper and the wiring took ages to sort.

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th Nov 2015 at 23:26
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Yeah I'm not sure I'm going to bother with anything going through the bulkhead as I don't want to have to totally butcher the dash etc etc
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 08:24
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Phill is based in Rotherham near Sheffield.
He knows his onions, and even with the bars through the bulkhead to strut tops I've retained the standard wiper setup, I did have to fettle the big wiring plug but that's not an issue.
I could be wrong but I think phill will only do cages which pretty much follow the a pillars as far as possible, as dog leg cages which miss the dash aren't as good from what I remember, so the dash will need a bit of fettling too, even so though I'd highly recommend phill for cage work!
There will be a few pictures in my project thread of the cage in progress and the finished item. My cage is probably one of the best things I've done to my track car Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 09:10
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I kept out of here to keep things unbiased a bit, but as Steve says, I really don't like dash dodger cages, obviously if you don't go through to the struts or have a dash bar, that makes a difference to how much cutting you have to do, but there would be some with my a-pillars.
Can keep your standard wipers with mine though, even with straight bars to the front turrets.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 11:05
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Where are you based Philipm?
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 10:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Rotherham Smile

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 11:05
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Bugger that is chuffing miles away :-(
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 11:15
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Worth the trip though!
The workmanship on my cage is second to none, and if i was to ever get another i know exactly where it would be taken.

Just look at some other cages out there, a million miles away from the pillars or roof, dodgy mounting points, crap dog legs etc. In my opinion something such as a cage should be done right, no point saving a few quid here and there and getting something sub standard as its hopefully a one off investment.

I really ought to start demanding comission from phill Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 12:19
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #23
He's even got a half decent welder or two now.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 12:59
rikky 🦔

Post #24
thought he used Gripfill from Screwfix Unsure

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 13:12
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Rotherham isn't far at all. About 2 hours on a decent run

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Nov 2015 at 15:08

Pages (2): [1] 2