displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Front ARB. Use or remove..
devere

Senior User

Post #1
Just after a bit of advice.

For a while now, I've had my car set up using the rose jointed front arb attached to the wishbones.

Been a few years now since I ran the car without a front arb at all.

Can anyone advise what it will be like without it? To be honest I've forgotten the differences between having it and not. Obviously bar the obvious of more roll...

I have 3 way adjustable front struts, so without the arb, would it be best to stiffen the front up a little? Or should I just leave it on there..

This is on my rally car, so going to be thrown into corners on bumpy tarmac roads etc.
Posted 2nd Nov 2015 at 22:37
Twangy

Senior User

Post #2
run mine without front antiroll bar and find it grips a lot better out of tight corners , so would say would benefit out of tight and twisty stages , , what 3 ways are they proflex?

wayne mcardle
Posted 2nd Nov 2015 at 23:10
devere

Senior User

Post #3
Yes they are proflex struts.

Do you find the roll at the front is particularly great or the extra grip makes up for it?

I have a plate lsd in the gearbox also.
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 06:57
Twangy

Senior User

Post #4
devere wrote:
Yes they are proflex struts.

Do you find the roll at the front is particularly great or the extra grip makes up for it?

I have a plate lsd in the gearbox also.

also using plate diff , don't find roll to bad , extra grip does make up for it , why don't you just disconnect rose jointed link and compare with and without

wayne mcardle
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 08:01
devere

Senior User

Post #5
I could do. Although there isn't much room to have an end unattached. So would be a little worried about any interference. Although could be alright..

It's more the fact that it's half apart at the moment so I'm in the position to remove it if necessary..
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 10:15
Twangy

Senior User

Post #6
devere wrote:
I could do. Although there isn't much room to have an end unattached. So would be a little worried about any interference. Although could be alright..

It's more the fact that it's half apart at the moment so I'm in the position to remove it if necessary..

personal preference really , did not realize car was in bits , as was suggesting finding bit of a quiet twisty lane were could compare as would only take a minute to disconnect drop link , take it you are using grpA front antiroll bar , I was going to look at adapting a adjustable blade type front roll bar at 1 stage , bit like what I used on cosworth

wayne mcardle
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 11:29
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
no ARB at all on the Saxo Martin, front end is awesome on it, I want a go Big grin

it is a satchell setup though so the whole lot has been looked at.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 11:43
devere

Senior User

Post #8
I'm inclined to take it off and give it a go on the next event without. Just may have to stiffen the damping slightly. See how that goes.

I may well be changing to a different anti roll bar as getting everything to miss each other becomes quite a chore.

Basically though, it isn't going to roll around like a boat is it. .. That's my main concern.
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 12:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
I think thats where a 3 way damper can help, I wouldnt know which knob to start twiddling though, whichever one slows down big movements but not the hard fast ones.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 12:51
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Low speed, compression ideally so you keep the benefit from the traction.

Saying that, you can go too far to adjust, just let the car roll. Body roll is not a bad thing per se, you just might have to run a knats more static camber to make up for it.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 12:58
devere

Senior User

Post #11
Yeh il have to dog put the picture I have showing which knob does what! I think il whip it out while I can still drop the subframe and give it a go.

I think it's bound to be wet come rally time in November so I would assume so I guess the lack of anti roll bar will aid grip in those conditions. I was going to go back to a standard rear roll bar for this time also...
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 13:26
devere

Senior User

Post #12
I'm running about 1.5 degrees camber and 7 degrees of caster so hopefully it wouldn't want changing too far from that set up...
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 13:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
got your lamp pod sorted? Big grin

not sure it'll be wet but its probably going to be bloody cold in the morning and with how smooth they tend to be it might take a while to get heat into the tyres.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 14:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I used to run the 24mm rear bar with no front bar on mine and the balance was about perfect for me, personally. Still enough rear bar to warm the back tyres up quickly in line with the fronts.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 17:03
devere

Senior User

Post #15
welshpug! wrote:
got your lamp pod sorted? Big grin

not sure it'll be wet but its probably going to be bloody cold in the morning and with how smooth they tend to be it might take a while to get heat into the tyres.

I have a lamp pod, but I'm not sure the fibreglass bonnet is man enough to actually hold it!! May have to go back to the steel bonnet to use it.

I would say youre right on the cold morning, and depending on how late into the afternoon/evening it runs on the Saturday it could get chilly then also. I will probably move from my trusted medium fronts tyres to the softs for the Saturday then the sunday morning. Don't want to use up the rubber too quickly tho! I like to see a whole season or more on a pair of fronts!!
Posted 3rd Nov 2015 at 17:20