displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Bilstein B4 'softness' query
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #1
My Rallye is on its arse and as part of raising the height to a sensible level I want to renew the shocks all round.

I've some spare genuine front shocks in good order which appear to have been replaced at some point - but bilsteins aren't dear so it's a good excuse to buy new so I've been looking at Bilsteins.

Now, I read by a couple of people on here that B4s have been described as a bit 'soft'. Kam racing state: These gas filled dampers offer a higher quality ride compared to the original setup. They are designed to be a direct replacement for the OEM parts.

I don't feel I need anything firmer than standard on this car to be honest. So what I'm asking is - do people find B4s softer than OE units. If they are comparable in terms of firmness then ideal - but I don't want anything softer than standard. They'll be mated with eibachs.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 31st Oct 2015 at 23:17
    mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
    Have just fitted b4 to my rallye made the mistake of fitting 5002 p9 oe springs instead of th 5002p7 that should be on it now waiting on the p7 to arrive but in the meantime am quite impressed with the seup nice and firm but comfy ride its hard to compare as my oe set was original from new it seams and with 16 years use they where quite done the new ride is very nice will be able to test the difference between the two p9 and p7 when replaced but there not soft currently if it wasnt for the extra inch of height given by the p9 i would keep them but the b4s are spot on they are firmer as far as i can tell at present and very happy with the result

Mine will remain oe set b4s seem good for mine till i can afford peugeot oe mine is a rallye!!

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
    WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
    Posted 1st Nov 2015 at 03:32
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
    True, I guess as I'm used to aged suspension on 306s it wil in theory be an improvement providing they are at least near OE spec.

I've managed to find a full set for £145 by buying individually compared to £203 from Kam Racing so that's a bonus.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 1st Nov 2015 at 08:45
    mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
    Yea thats pretty good brought the two front only, as managed to source two peugeot original rears think i paid 45 each fo the front two alot of places have them on special at the moment at a quater the price of peugeot and for the same/better results cant be bad Smile

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
    WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
    Posted 1st Nov 2015 at 10:01
    adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    Go original. Only had issues with B4s now on both my coupe and the Saab. However the B6 now on the Saab are much better.

Nothing to see here
    Posted 1st Nov 2015 at 11:55
    phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    Bilsteins quality on replacement units has taken a massive nosedive over the past few years. Terrible chroming in particular.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
    Email me!
    Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
    Posted 1st Nov 2015 at 12:01