displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Electric Windscreen Demister
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Anyone running an electric windscreen demister? Removed all the heaters from my rallye and when it rains my windscreen steams up. There are loads of cheap ones on ebay but all tend to be pretty poor and dont clear much

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 9th Aug 2015 at 23:40
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Anyone running an electric windscreen demister? Removed all the heaters from my rallye and when it rains my windscreen steams up. There are loads of cheap ones on ebay but all tend to be pretty poor and dont clear much

Only way to sort it 100% is a heated windscreen from Ricky Evans Motorsport
Used my rear heated button & power I'm not using to now make it W/screen timed control button for front heated W/screen Thumbs up
Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 07:10
devere

Senior User

Post #3
I also now use a heated screen. But I was using a mini heater which worked fine. One of the ones that plumbs into the water circuit. Clearer everything it needed to. One of the T5 mini heaters I think it was? Still got it here also.
Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 09:10
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I had two electric demisters in my 309, not really up to the job IMO. In my rally car I now have a t5 heater as mentioned above, works pretty well really although you need it on all the time in the rain and it's quite noisy. Ideally you need to give them an air feed from outside as well so you're not just re-circulating moist air.
I'd have gone for a heated screen but they're expensive and aftermarket ones are prone to failing. Oh and they don't keep you warm!!!

Most important thing is to keep the inside of the car and yourself dry! Don't stand talking in the rain and then jump in. Or refit the heater, I'd never personally remove a heater in a car, the extra weight is worth all the advantages that being able to see brings! Razz

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 09:50
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
yeah, the heater weighs fook all really considering the money and faffage that occurs when you dispense with it.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 10:40
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I wish I had never removed then bow to be honest and juat bought a new matrix LOL but too far gone for that now, wiring has been removed for the blowers ect... I usually have my rear windows open what helps a little but not much. I have been tooking at some of them T5 heaters what are around £100 so I can get hot air onto rhe screen and down at my feet but was just seing what other options was out there.
Seen alot of people say with aftermarket heated screen the lines start to burn out and leave streaks on the windscreen ect... thats what keeps putting me off a heated screen

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 11:41
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I bought a heated screen but most of the elements have failed now.
I then did like Allan did with two cheap ebay heaters, they are better than nothing but pretty much a waste of time.
I've got a small matrix that I intendnto fit at some point to sort it all out.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 12:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Had a pair of 300w electric heaters in the Fouquet, took a while to clear the screen initially but once it was clear it kept it clear, even dropping through cold water and getting it in the cabin they'd cope, fair drain on the electrics though, had to make sure you turned 'em off when not needed.

Saying that we switched the later cars to a cheap 240x120mm rad to get rid of the electrical load (have issues when there's a rally pod on the front too!) just as compact and about 3kw of heat rather than 600w...

Don't run one in the buggy, just gets washing up liquid buffed on the inside of the screen morning and afternoon, not really practical for a road car though LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 10th Aug 2015 at 12:26
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
The car wont be used over the winter as im planning on doing a little work on the rallye. Mainly just after something to keep the screen clear when it rains, I will be getting poly windows too so I could always vent the rears so its still getting air in/out of the car. I have been looking it the kit car heaters what plumb into the origionl matrix pipes as it looks to be the better option as would warm the car a little too over the electric heaters.

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=189&zenid=c5fd14c29511e5a229a26dbb182d4eb1

Posted 12th Aug 2015 at 10:21
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
The reason Front Heated W/S elements burn out is people don't put them on a timed control of max 2 mins Thumbs up
Posted 13th Aug 2015 at 06:13
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
2 minutes is no good in my experience, if it's damp you need them on constantly.

Sorry, mines a t7 not T5?! It's this one

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

I wouldn't go for the smaller one, the one I've got is only just up to the job IMO. It's still very small and light weight.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 13th Aug 2015 at 07:06
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I was going to say, mine could be on for 5 minutes or more and only just be making an impact when it fully worked. I remember it took me about 8 miles on the way to work one morning before i could see properly. Laugh

I wouldnt bother getting another knowing what i know now!

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Aug 2015 at 16:31
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Remember guys ..two types of Electric W/Screens de-mist & de-ice diff gauge of wires in the glass both have to be put on timers or they burn out quickly ...maybe no good for damp bodies in cars ?

Ricky Evans only supply de-mist which isn't as good ....I don't know of anybody in the UK that supply's de-ice spec which is the same as Fords Focus /Pilkington make- spec ones .

Posted 29th Aug 2015 at 23:13
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Think im going to give one of these a try.

t7design lightweight heater

Posted 30th Aug 2015 at 11:54
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Think im going to give one of these a try.

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php/heating/3-5kw-lightweight-heater.html

Posted 30th Aug 2015 at 11:54