displaying posts 1 to 25 of 37

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: New car choices
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #1
After having owned nothing but 306s since I was 17 (with the exception of a few months), I've decided it's finally time for a change. I'm now also in a financial position to afford something desirable so I'm in the market for a new car.

My choices are three cars which all offer something different. If anyone has owned, driven or know of people who have any of the three, your opinions would be much appreciated. Anyway, the choices are:

BMW M235i
Peugeot RCZ R
Renaultsport Megane 275 Trophy (not the stripped out R).

The BMW probably tops the list right now for me

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 25th Jun 2015 at 20:39
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #2
Bmw

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 27th Jun 2015 at 14:51
rikky 🦔

Post #3
of them 3 i'd get the bmw

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Jun 2015 at 11:40
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I'd go for the Megane as in just not handy enough with rwd, that said I'd go for a Golf R
Posted 28th Jun 2015 at 14:39
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Those Golf R's are rappid

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 28th Jun 2015 at 21:31
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The BMW 235i is very nice great review and looks incredible

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 28th Jun 2015 at 21:33
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #7
Sorry I'm not buying a Golf.

RS Megane is only there to offer the 306 like fun factor (if indeed it does). Off putting thing with the BMW is running costs as this car is going to be a daily driver. £490 first year tax for a start. And I don't for a second believe the quoted 37 MPG figure.

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 15:30
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
I wouldn't be surprised if it can do it, depends what kind of driving you do and driving style, so much torque from them you don't have to thrash them to go at a decent pace.

maybe see if you can get an extended test drive and see how the mpg fares?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 15:41
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
If you can wait and get your name down I saw the new Focus RS in LeMans and it looks absolutely amazing in the flesh, as does the new Type R
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 16:01
rikky 🦔

Post #10
good thing with tax now is the split monthly payments so it's more manageable. That's like what, £1.35 a day for tax, man up and do it Razz

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 16:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
only thing about the ford stuff is its very ESSEX, and the Type R seems to be competing for that crown.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 16:07
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #12
The extended test drive is something I was hoping they'd do but isn't that usually reserved for new releases?

Focus RS definitely is something that has tickled my fancy and will probably be well priced too but went to Ford the other day and they said they're not taking names until November. The Type R just looks like ass so I couldn't care less how good it is.

I like your thinking Rikky Yes.

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 16:09
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I love my Golf personally, it's a great car. I can only imagine the new R420 is going to be a hoot to drive. Laugh

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 16:18
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I've just ordered a Mk7 Golf GTi as my new company car, BIK tax was far too high on the R sadly - cant wait
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 17:01
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Chr1sch wrote:
I've just ordered a Mk7 Golf GTi as my new company car, BIK tax was far too high on the R sadly - cant wait

Lucky git! My boss goes to me ''nothing sporty, list price upto 21k (quite limiting in itself), and has to be diesel'' Unsure

Considering I'm driving a 7 seater 1.6 bluemotion VW Touran at the moment I'm quite happy with what I went for.

Going for a new shape Peugeot 308 1.6 BlueHdi, was the best spec for the list price. 90mpg claimed, only 84grams co/km vs the Tourans 121grams so will be a few tax brackets cheaper on my tax code. 15bhp more than the Touran, circa 400kg lighter so should be a nice little upgrade!
I could afford the second to top spec the ''Allure'' which features, front/rear parking sensors, rear parking cam, dual zone climate control, bluetooth, led headlamps, 10 inch touchscreen/satnav.

Was funny because for the price I couldnt find a 1.6 diesel that was as economical, as powerful and as good CO emissions!

308's supposed to be a step up in terms of build quality so should find out in a couple months LOL

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 17:56
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #16
Speaking of the 308, that might just be thrown into the mix too. With the GTi around the corner, could be a cracking motor.

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 18:18
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #17
it depends on what you like in a car, I'm on my fifth BMW now and as much as I love them I got a real good feeling that I'd missed when I sat in the Megane at Goodwood on Saturday. You could just tell it would be a great fun car to drive as opposed to the BMW with its superior refinement. If you like an exciting car then the Megane would probably be your best bet.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 19:12
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #18
ian7675 wrote:
it depends on what you like in a car, I'm on my fifth BMW now and as much as I love them I got a real good feeling that I'd missed when I sat in the Megane at Goodwood on Saturday. You could just tell it would be a great fun car to drive as opposed to the BMW with its superior refinement. If you like an exciting car then the Megane would probably be your best bet.

I understand what you're saying which is why I've gone for the 2 rather than a 4 series. It's a little lighter if not exactly a lightweight. In regards to the Megane, I've been in touch with numerous Renault dealers and not one of them has an RS in stock for me to even see let alone drive. Their customer service is genuinely shocking too.

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 22:20
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
honestly3k wrote:
Chr1sch wrote:

Lucky git! My boss goes to me ''nothing sporty, list price upto 21k (quite limiting in itself), and has to be diesel'' Unsure

Considering I'm driving a 7 seater 1.6 bluemotion VW Touran at the moment I'm quite happy with what I went for.

Going for a new shape Peugeot 308 1.6 BlueHdi, was the best spec for the list price. 90mpg claimed, only 84grams co/km vs the Tourans 121grams so will be a few tax brackets cheaper on my tax code. 15bhp more than the Touran, circa 400kg lighter so should be a nice little upgrade!
I could afford the second to top spec the ''Allure'' which features, front/rear parking sensors, rear parking cam, dual zone climate control, bluetooth, led headlamps, 10 inch touchscreen/satnav.

Was funny because for the price I couldnt find a 1.6 diesel that was as economical, as powerful and as good CO emissions!

308's supposed to be a step up in terms of build quality so should find out in a couple months LOL

Haha you have got to love company car selection, I started off with a similar brief and went through all the normal contenders, 1.9tdi's, 1.6tdi's etc, the BMW's are hard to beat but list price needs to be £25k to get sone thing interesting in my experience

On topic, based on the reviews of the 208gti it is certainly looking promising for the 308! That said and I guess it makes me a car snob but I regard a VW/BMW/Audi/Merc as the next step up from Ford/Renault/Peugeot etc so by default I'd instinctively go German unless I was buying it just for driving thrills and I'm rarely just doing that anymore
Posted 29th Jun 2015 at 23:25
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I have a 535d and struggle to get any more of than 26mpg town and 33mpg motorway so for the 235i to get a claimed 37mpg must be purely motorway and going down hill!
Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 10:31
barrym

Senior User

Post #21
welshpug! wrote:
only thing about the ford stuff is its very ESSEX, and the Type R seems to be competing for that crown.

The only people who diss Essex are the ones that don't live there. Still, we can't all be blessed can we?LOL

Attending the Ford employee unveil of the new Focus RS and new Ford GT tomorrow. New Gt has a rumoured asking price of 250K! That is quite a step up for Ford. The car looks a million dollars, time will tell if it's worth it though

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 18:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #22
pugheaven wrote:
I have a 535d and struggle to get any more of than 26mpg town and 33mpg motorway so for the 235i to get a claimed 37mpg must be purely motorway and going down hill!

must be leaden footed or something wrong! my old 525 does more than that!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 19:05
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
3l twin turbo.... Same stats as most owners on the 535d owners club
Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 19:28
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #24
My 325d gets around 45mpg. Whilst they can be very good on fuel when driving very carfefully they are thirsty when you boot it. I find with BMW if you subtract around 15-20% off the claimed figures then that should be pretty accurate.

Obviously you would need to test drive the cars first so just be aware that whilst the 2 series will be fast it will also be refined so you might not feel the acceleration as much as other cars. I was surprised at just how smooth my car was despite it being pretty quick I can hardly feel it accelerating but I didn't buy it for the fun factor.

Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 19:51
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #25
barrym wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

The only people who diss Essex are the ones that don't live there. Still, we can't all be blessed can we?LOL

Attending the Ford employee unveil of the new Focus RS and new Ford GT tomorrow. New Gt has a rumoured asking price of 250K! That is quite a step up for Ford. The car looks a million dollars, time will tell if it's worth it though

Saw them at Goodwood on Saturday, very nice looking cars.

Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 19:58

Pages (2): [1] 2