displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Phase One speedos, looms and airbags?
mj2k

Junior User

Post #1
This one's starting to puzzle me a bit.

I've got an early 1995 Roland Garros Cab coming soon, which as far as I know (I haven't got it yet so can't check properly) has the totally mechanical speedometer / odometer, which presumably means it's got a different body loom to the later Ph1s and Ph2 / Ph3s. But it's got an airbag fitted to the steering wheel unlike the really early phase 1s which has thrown me a bit.

Did the Phase 1 go directly from mechanical speedo and no airbag to electronic speedo (with mechanical odometer) and airbags, or was there some in-betweeny model?

Reason why I ask is I'm beginning to wonder if it's had a later Ph1 airbag steering wheel fitted in place of the 'proper' Roland Garros one, or whether it has got an electronic speedo after all.

Also (from the comments on my engine loom thread) I'm beginning to wonder if only the very early Phase 1s had different wiring in the body -> engine loom plugs, which may mean I've wasted my time swapping the engine loom for a modified one. Roll eyes
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 01:45
mj2k

Junior User

Post #2
Think I've answered my own question after a glance through Servicebox. The electronic speedo came in 1996 (mine is April 1995), and there were 3 separate cabin looms (with matching engine bay looms) before the electronic speedo came along, including one with an airbag. Servicebox also shows the steering wheel is supposed to have an airbag fitted for my VIN, along with seat belt pretensioners.
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 03:04
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
s16 had cable speedo with electronic output for the ecu, gti6 had electronic speedo, both had airbags.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 07:43
mj2k

Junior User

Post #4
welshpug! wrote:
s16 had cable speedo with electronic output for the ecu, gti6 had electronic speedo, both had airbags.

Thanks Smile

Looks like I might have wasted my time swapping my Ph3 engine loom then...
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 08:19
rikky 🦔

Post #5
i put an s16 engine (cable driven) into an xsi that had electric speedo

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=155261

edit> actually, it had the xsi (electric) gearbox on it but i'd have thought you could still rectify it

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 08:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
mj2k wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

Thanks Smile

probably, I used to run a phase2 306 loom in a zx, , chop plugs off, attach zx plugs, job done.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 08:55
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
in a 306, most plug straight in.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 08:56
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
mj2k wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

Thanks Smile

You still would have had to change wires at the main multiplug on any phase loom.

You bought the converted loom from my mate, I helped do that conversion and a good few wires didn't match even though physically the plug would fit in fine. You now have a plug and play loom that everything worked on so unless you are good with wiring you've made it a lot easier.

As welshpug has said if you get a dual output speedo sensor off an s16 you can fit the plug for the ecu and fit your cable so your speedo will work.

Ryan
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 14:10
mj2k

Junior User

Post #9
ryangti6 wrote:

You still would have had to change wires at the main multiplug on any phase loom.

You bought the converted loom from my mate, I helped do that conversion and a good few wires didn't match even though physically the plug would fit in fine. You now have a plug and play loom that everything worked on so unless you are good with wiring you've made it a lot easier.

As welshpug has said if you get a dual output speedo sensor off an s16 you can fit the plug for the ecu and fit your cable so your speedo will work.

Shame about what happened to your mate's car - it must have been a fantastic-looking (and sounding) Roland Garros before it's meeting with a wall. Nice to meet him btw, and all those bits I bought certainly made the trip to Wales worthwhile for me Smile

Luckily I've already got the dual output speedo sender so I don't need to worry about that, and I've already fitted the modified loom so when the project car finally arrives (it's over a week late now) obviously I'll be very happy if it all plugs and plays. But I'm going to keep the original loom too for the time being, so I can swap them over / compare pinouts if it doesn't work straight off.

One thing I did discover when I was digging through the various plug pinouts (which you may be able to confirm) was that the small loom plug only seems to have the aircon and immobiliser wires running through it; wonder if unplugging that would be a 'quick fix' to test if you'd soft unlocked an ecu correctly before cutting any wires?
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 16:28
mj2k

Junior User

Post #10
rikky wrote:
i put an s16 engine (cable driven) into an xsi that had electric speedo

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=155261

edit> actually, it had the xsi (electric) gearbox on it but i'd have thought you could still rectify it

Thanks, looks like I should be fine on the VSS since the ZF autobox I've got (well, when it arrives) has the twin-output VSS fitted to it, so I should just be able to unbolt it and plug it straight into the '6 box.

I was thinking about keeping the autobox too, but I think I'd be heading into a whole world of pain trying to alter the mechanical governor to give the correct change-up / kickdown points for the '6 engine. I've already given myself enough of a brain-ache trying to work out the loom pinouts without adding another layer of complexity Wink
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 16:54
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Yeah it was a shame, it was a lovely car until it met it's fate.

You are correct with the small plug and that's exactly why it was left unplugged as the Ecu he had was only in an open state so we didn't want to chance it being able to relock. As others have said if you have the keypad you can just unplug that but his didn't have one so was the safest way.

I'd definitely convert to manual though, that's a whole lot of hassle for no gain really trying to keep it automatic.

Ryan
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 19:45
mj2k

Junior User

Post #12
It'd keep it more 'original looking' if I kept the autobox but yeah, it would be a lot of hassle, I'd effectively lose two gears and I'm not a big fan of slushboxes anyway (especially if they've got no torque converter lockup), so the manual conversion's definitely the way to go Smile

How's your mate getting on selling the remains of the 306? There's got to be quite a few people on the lookout for decent Roland Garros body panels because they're so rare, esp with no lacquer peel!
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 23:50