displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Fan - Loom Connector
Eddleston

Regular

Post #1
After taking the fan connection off the loom I found an issue. One of the spades was badly corroded.
I scraped out a lot of the corrosion but it's still pretty bad and now I'm missing one spade.
Can these come apart?

Left connector: fan
Right connector: loom

The blue mess is where I think the spade should be in the fan side. I've attacked it to get in but with no luck.
Would the easiest option be a new fan loom? (anyone got such a thing?) or find one, cut it up and re-seal it myself? Not ideal.

On the right the larger single spade is very loose in its holder.

How do get in to fix these? I hate car electrics.

the zombie apocalypse started long ago, only no-one realised most can talk and drive
Posted 29th Mar 2015 at 17:15
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Search is your friend.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119690

I had the same. The 12V feed for a fan was missing, so it did nothing until the changeover relay provided the second 12V feed and one fan came on. I bypassed the connector altogether, splicing it both sides.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 29th Mar 2015 at 21:20
Eddleston

Regular

Post #3
Thanks!
Don't really want to run a messy fused wire but I guess it's pretty easy to see when something gets a bit manky

I'll have a go at just cleaning it all out really well and sealing it all back up to start with.

the zombie apocalypse started long ago, only no-one realised most can talk and drive
Posted 29th Mar 2015 at 21:25
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
That connector is some weird thermoset plastic, and in my case the pin had no strength left so I had litle choice.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 29th Mar 2015 at 21:27
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Out of interest is it only the high speed that comes on?
Posted 30th Mar 2015 at 14:39
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yup. First clue I had something was wrong was temp over 100 first time ever in the hdi. Stage 2 for 1 fan came on to cool it down and the cycle repeats. The wire was the series fan feed / first fan 12v. Changeover relay kicked the other fan into life with its own 12v as stage 1 series operation s compromised.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 30th Mar 2015 at 22:15
Eddleston

Regular

Post #7
Update - dismantled connector. Eventually.

Tugged big wire and it eventually came free with a ridiculous amount of copper corrosion. Heaps of it!
Re-creating the connection today I hope.

Posted 1st Apr 2015 at 09:11