displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Stripping interior wiring
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
How have people gone about retaining the wiring for the rear lights etc with a stripped interior. Where do the cables run? I don't want cables everywhere once it's stripped.

Also, if I strip out the airbag control gear, will pulling the fuse for the airbags(is there one) stop the light being on the dash. If not how do I isolate that light? Or is it a clocks out, remove bulb, not at all illegal effory

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 3rd Nov 2014 at 16:26
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Take the airbags out as well as the airbag ecu and airbag light etc. You cant fail a car on the mot if it has no airbags in it.

You only fail if the lights are on or you have airbags but are not connected i believe.

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 3rd Nov 2014 at 18:05
rikky 🦔

Post #3
i stripped all mine right back by taking every loom out of the car and laying them flat on a big garage floor. mark up every plug and cable tie those which aren't needed so you can work backwards to trim the wiring. you'll need to take all the insulation tape and conduit off to do a proper job rather than just chopping the odd plug off. it isn't a 5 minute job so make sure you have a day spare. in an ideal world you'd start with a new minimalistic loom but cost dictates otherwise

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 11:09
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
rikky wrote:
i stripped all mine right back by taking every loom out of the car and laying them flat on a big garage floor. mark up every plug and cable tie those which aren't needed so you can work backwards to trim the wiring. you'll need to take all the insulation tape and conduit off to do a proper job rather than just chopping the odd plug off. it isn't a 5 minute job so make sure you have a day spare. in an ideal world you'd start with a new minimalistic loom but cost dictates otherwise

This is pretty much what I'm going to do on one of the race cars (eventually both). I'm probably going further and removing the fusebox though in favour of breakers.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 12:26
Puggitt

Regular

Post #5
demondriverdan wrote:
rikky wrote:

This is pretty much what I'm going to do on one of the race cars (eventually both). I'm probably going further and removing the fusebox though in favour of breakers.

This is what I've done put a panel where the passenger air bag was and put in a breaker board on top and all the relays under it.
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 18:03
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Do you have a link to the breaker board you used? Haven't bought one yet so good to get an idea of what others have done

Rallye Race Car
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 19:00
Puggitt

Regular

Post #7
I used narva panel mount circuit breakers
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/dash-panel-manual
And just spaced out some holes in my panel and put the button through.

I was looking at the blade fuse replacement circuit breaker
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/blade-manual
And using a fuse block
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/fuse-blocks
But that's buying things that I could make.
Also my way is a bit tidier cause all you can see at buttons Thumbs up
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 19:19
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
They are pretty cool, especially the blade replacement thing.

What wiring do you have left in the car? Can't be much.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 19:28
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I'm also thinking of using panel mount but using slightly different breakers.

My plan is to only leave in the lights and wipers connector, don't need much more in the race car.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 19:47
Puggitt

Regular

Post #10
Yeah most of my cars wiring is in the engine bay, I just got fuel pump/ gauge, lights, clocks and some extra gauges front wipers. That's about it really apart from engin and ecu
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 20:05
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
All you really need! Big grin

Rallye Race Car
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 20:07
Puggitt

Regular

Post #12
But to answer the original question, I held onto the loom clips as you can use those to re route the wires to their factory place, winding under the seats and down the drivers side, but I personally re wired it as I couldn't justify the excess wire running around the floor. So I cut them shorter new crimp connections and just routed it down the driver side of the car to the boot using the previously mentioned clips.

As for the srs system, if your stripping it's easy to pull all the wires out, have to cut a couple of ground wires and pull a wire from the blue clock plug IIRC. I also got a couple of buckles from a phase one dt so I could get rid of the pretentioning buckles.
Posted 4th Nov 2014 at 21:06