displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Difference in Gauges
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
What is the difference in quality between these cheap gauges and the AEM/SPA ones, since there seems to be a massive difference in the prices that they retail for. I know that you get what you pay for but, will a cheaper gauge be almost as accurate?

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 28th Oct 2014 at 17:54
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #2
Generally it's the quality of the sensors that's important. The gauge will only show the output from the sensor and if THAT'S crap then what's displayed will be nonsense.

I've seen some pretty good value Racetech/Stack/SPA ones come up on forums and Ebay from time to time. In fact, I just missed out on a dual Racetech Oil Pressure/Temp gauge for £50 complete and in excellent order....

TT
Posted 28th Oct 2014 at 20:42
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Tarmac terror wrote:
Generally it's the quality of the sensors that's important. The gauge will only show the output from the sensor and if THAT'S crap then what's displayed will be nonsense.

I've seen some pretty good value Racetech/Stack/SPA ones come up on forums and Ebay from time to time. In fact, I just missed out on a dual Racetech Oil Pressure/Temp gauge for £50 complete and in excellent order....

TT

As above really, however the gauge is also as important as the sender, if the gauge is not calibrated accurately it doesn't matter how good the sender is Thumbs up
Most cheap gauges are cheap for a reason, they are not tested or calibrated as in depth as a more exspensive gauge and the tolerances are probably a lot greater
Posted 28th Oct 2014 at 21:30
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I thought as much, but then how accurate is accurate? Would a temp sensor be with-in 0.5 degree? I'm not running a massively expensive race car which is what they are designed for.

I just find it hard to justify spending nearly £500 on three sets of sensors/gauges what I can get for less than £100.

I hate buying things on the cheap but this is one thing that I've never been able to tell how it would be so different

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 28th Oct 2014 at 22:46
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #5
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
I thought as much, but then how accurate is accurate? Would a temp sensor be with-in 0.5 degree? I'm not running a massively expensive race car which is what they are designed for.

I just find it hard to justify spending nearly £500 on three sets of sensors/gauges what I can get for less than £100.

I hate buying things on the cheap but this is one thing that I've never been able to tell how it would be so different

LOL, you should see the price of the Defi BF series gauges that are popular with us JDM lot!!........Shock Shock Shock

TT
Posted 29th Oct 2014 at 00:12
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have seen them, a mate uses them on his 200sx I nearly bought. Over 1k on gauges and sensors. Madness!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 29th Oct 2014 at 10:49