displaying posts 226 to 250 of 404

Pages (17): first .. 9 [10] 11 .. last

Author Subject: Red Rallye S529 OAN
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #226
So, she's home.....

Couple of reasons really.....my mates landlord was getting the hump with the number of scrap (how very dare he?!) cars lying about and now the nights are lighter, I need something to do after work....

The underside has held up very very very well considering its been sat on a grassy bank all winter...a good test for the epxoy Mastic. Pics of that later...

Home, although looking rather unloved....

Pulling out the Pioneer DAB headunit is first job and finding where the cabling for the power antenna has been run. Suspect it's up the a pillar trim on the driver's side...

Then it's onto stripping the engine bay...

Some crusty bits...

Once that's all stripped, it will go off to be blasted clean and then the prep work same as underneath can begin before I have the engine bay and underside painted.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 15:12
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #227
Old stereo out, new one in.

Properly annoyed as I caught the corner of the trim and broke a bit off......the trim is screwed to the H/u so I'll have to see if I can find another cassette player to swap....

Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 19:24
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #228
The other thing I was keen to see was how the underside that I had prepped last year had held up. Since July Ish last year, its been parked up in a damp grassy bank at my mates unit, including all through the winter….as good a test as any I guess….

Generally, and on the bits where I had applied the expoy mastic, its as good as the day I did it,which is hugely encouraging. Couple of the bits I'd left in bare primer have gone a touch rusty again, although it's nowhere near as bad as it was and is easily fixed. Very,very happy with that. Bodes well for the future….

Posted 9th Apr 2016 at 08:00
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #229
Which epoxy mastic did you use? I've been researching it a bit, did you apply it to the bare metal or over the zinc primer as a lot of manufacturers state to use it on bare steel.
It looks very good in red, did you apply anything over the top of it?

Thanks!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 9th Apr 2016 at 11:31
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #230
I used the Bilt Hamber stuff. Applied it over the Electrox primer. Then did the 3m flat finish stone chip over that. The red bit was a rattle can from halfords as a test. Nothing else, no lacquer

Posted 9th Apr 2016 at 12:27
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #231
Ahh okayso just a top coat. Looks very nice. I need to do some welding to mine and then I'll be doing something to the underside!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 9th Apr 2016 at 14:21
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #232
Bored this afternoon so started stripping the engine bay until.it started raining...

Power steering pipes and reservoir out, heat shield out, abs pump and brake lines and master cylinder out....

Posted 9th Apr 2016 at 17:37
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #233
Given the weather was pretty decent when I woke up, I decided today I'd do a bit more on the Rallye. Bit groggy after a wedding yesterday, I had to drop off the wife to pick her car up as she was taking our daughter to a party. Ace, place to myself for a while...and I needed something to do as was waaaay to nervous to watch the Leicester game!

So first job was have the front wheels off and go and put some air into them as they had gone flat...with that done I could push the car up the drive into the sunshine..

First job was get the front wings off. Not a particularly difficult affair, apart from one bolt right up in the top corner of the wing, by the bottom of the windscreen. Proper pain to get to but luckily the bolts only need loosening to release the wing. They both came off relatively easily.

Generally pretty clean underneath, with the exception of the bracket in picture two (more in that in a mo, and this little crud trap at the bottom of the wing. Usually hidden by the arch liner, I'll make sure the bottoms of the wings are properly protected when they go back in..

Now, that bracket….

Bit odd this one. There's one either side. Just holds wiring on the passenger side but in the drivers side, it holds this fuel filter thing. Now the odd bit is that the inner wing strengthener panel is immaculate and this bracket is crap. All part of the same panel so I don't get why just this bit rusts...I'm getting to find someone breaking one they can cut me some good ones off. The drivers side is so bad, its nearly rusted through and deformed as I undid the very rusty bolt holding the fuel filter in. Deffo needing replacement.

Managed to get the two water hoses off. Doesn't look nice in here….might flush the matrix before it all goes back together..

Then it was time to get the loom out. Took me a while to get the fuse box innards through the hole in the inner wing but did so. There's a wiring loom holder bracket that runs down the inner wing on the passenger side. There's a nut and bolt at one end….that sheared…..oh well, can replace that. Then it was about getting these rings off.

Again, an uber pain. Needed a blunt chisel and a hammer to drift them round. They are messy and have paint on them so will try to replace those with new. Getting them out meant I could then release the loom from scores the bottom of the cross member and pretty much empty the engine bay. Bit crappy round here with surface rust…

Which left me like this…..

Neighbour has his jet wash out so covered all the loom plugs and the hole in the servo, gave it a bloody good spray of G101 and attacked with a brush…..came out OK. Clutch cable out (no wonder the clutch felt heavy, cable is shot although I've a brand new in the packet pug one that came with the car to go on) fuel lines out completely, power steering pipes out of the way and all the engine bay pipe/wiring brackets removed. Took lots of pics to remember what went where..!!!

That was pretty much it for the day. I had a quick look at the wings. The drivers side one has a very slight ding in the arch section. Can get a NOS wing for £30 so ill just replace. Noticed on the passenger side it's been painted several times and the last time, its been painted, Rallye stickers applied and clear coated over the top!!! Most odd! You can just see a little lacquer lift around the edges of the top and bottom stripe…

Next steps will be to get the front end up in the air, take the subframe and suspension off and bare metal as much as I can before having it blasted. It's going to be awkward to have some areas blasted with the subframe on but it needs the frame on to be mobile…..can't win sometime!

I did stand back several times today and wonder if all this effort will really ever be worth it…..

Posted 17th Apr 2016 at 20:01
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #234
Forgot the mention, I got a brand new, still in the box, Valeo headlight. Correct part number for a twin optic unit for a Rallye too...

Posted 17th Apr 2016 at 20:10
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #235
I've done the same thing and it looks so much better when it's all painted! I didn't even blast mine, just used a flap disc on it and it still came out so much better than before.

The downside is I'm so used to it being clean that when it got filthy after the last race I had to clean it just to make me happy Big grin

Rallye Race Car
Posted 17th Apr 2016 at 20:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #236
I'll bare metal as much as I can and have the rest blasted. Too many corners and bends etc!

Posted 17th Apr 2016 at 20:31
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #237
Today, I had a hangover…… Smile

So today, I lounged about until lunchtime when I felt a bit more hooooman…. Smile

Decided a bit of fresh air (along with the obligatory cup of tea) would be just the ticket so I made some excuse as to why I couldn't paint the bathroom and went outside. Main job for today was get the engine bay loom out completely. To do so meant removal of the scuttle panel and wiper motor to get that the main plug connecting it to the car.

Wiper arms off the spindles first didn't cause many issues. Stuck a little on the splines, a couple of taps with the ratchet loosened them and off they came. Good. Scuttle panel next and, apart from them using those silly torx head screws (did they just have a big bucket of random screws, nuts, bolts etc at the factory and just use whatever they pulled out?!), that all came off fine. Half a dozen bolts and one electrical connector and the wiper motor was out.

There's supposed to be a drain hole under the wioper motor, like this one on the passenger side…

Hmmmm, something hadnt been reading the script…

So a bit grubby under the scuttle, nothing unexpected though.

Next job was disconnect the engine bay loom. Big connector under the wiper motor. Undo the big torx bolt in the middle and gently prise off. Took me a minute to figure out how to the the plug through the hole in the inner arch until I had a feel and felt a notch..

Edge of the plug in the notch and out it came.

That's now tucked away in the dry. Then it was onto cleaning that mess...see, I told you there was a drain hole…

Once all that was out, I taped cling film over the connector and at this point it promptly peed it down. Time for a brew. Once the rain had gone, back out to get cleaning the scuttle area.

As I was getting (carefully) busy cleaning, I did this section right up under the driver's side corner of the screen where the bonnet release cable comes through. Paint just flaked off and its got surface rust underneath.

Pulled the tape holding the clingfilm off and more paint comes off, with more rust underneath.

Smacks of poor prep at the factory. That will need sorting out. Also found this bit of rust on the bracket that holds a rubber cover over the fan intake and where some of the scuttle panel and support bracket bolts to.

Build code sticker…

There isn't too much more now to do on the engine bay, other than strip it. I'm looking at hiring a blaster for a day and doing it myself at my mates place as he's got a suitable air supply. Going to look at spraying the Electrox primer and then the mastic too. Apparently doable if both are thinned down 10%. Obligatory thinned mix brushed onto all the seams first though to really get it into them.

Posted 2nd May 2016 at 18:38
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #238
So, before I get into the guts of an update, I feel the need to apologise for the lack of updates (nagging wife + bathroom, / not much spare time or £££ = zero Rallye progress) and then explain that normally, I'm a non violent, rational, calm, big soft human being. The reason for that point will become painfully clear very soon!

So finally, after being in my new job for 6 months, I've managed to wangle a long weekend off and in an effort to try and switch off, I decided to play Rallye. As per the latest PG Tips advert with Vegas and the monkey, everything starts with tea. I can't and won't argue that point and today did!

I rolled the Rallye forward on the drive into the sunlight and began to contemplate how to approach the inner front arches. If you've read the whole thread, you'll know what I'm faced with. If you haven't, every single inch and half the components are covered in this god awful, tar based underseal ****e, and, in reference to my point above about being a normally sane, non violent human, is just about where I loose it big time. Think Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

I would quite happily shoot those who either make this bloody stupid or worse still, use it and slap it all over a Rallye! However, unlike removing this bloody stuff, shooting someone would be a bit too quick and easy. I would quite happily force feed this to those people, whilst delivering a near lethal electric shock to various body parts. They should then be experiencing just about what I'm going through...then repeat a number of times over to ensure the lesson is learnt.....

Anyways, back out of Jekyll and Hyde mode to normal hooman being. Now when I did the underside, it was much easier as it's a large flat expanse. Inner arches are a different ball game. Too many tight angles etc. I'd been told several times a decent tar remover would do the job. Given I've 2/3rds of a gallon tin of Tardis is the garage, I figured game on.

I started with the outer edge of the inner arch. Apologies but I didn't take any before photos on this bit. A spray or two of tardis and then a wipe with the cloth. Bugger me, it does work….(yes, I know,those rusty brackets….they are doing my head in too!!!)

So, happy with that and a proven result, I attacked the arches. Except the stuff here felt like inches thick…..far thicker than the bits I'd done. The tardis was clearly softening it but when attempting to wipe off with the cloth, it wasn't doing much.

Out came the paint scraper….results improved….you can see from this pic just how much there is under there…

Several hours work later and we are at this point, just on one arch!

The more I think about it, the more I think sand blasting wont work. The media will just stick to the underseal stuff. I'm going to contact a couple of places as I wonder if vapour blasting might shift it…..

Anyhow, I've discovered a new cider. Chaplain and Corks vintage reserve. 8.2%. Have three in the freezer that I'm off to inhale….

Update shortly on a load of NOS parts I've got coming

Posted 22nd Jul 2016 at 23:47
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #239
The underside of my 205 was covered in that 5h1t, took me months to remove it all, granted it works and is spotless underneath but it is still pure evil.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 00:05
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #240
There has to be an easier way to remove it. There must be. Vapour blasting still has me thinking. Think high pressure water containing sand.....

Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 07:19
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #241
You tried petrol ?

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 07:30
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #242
No, but it will be just about the same as the Tardis. It's doing g a good job of softening it but it's an absolutely dirty horrible arse of a job to remove.

Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 07:33
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #243
I would use panel wipe and a red scotchbrite to get that s**t off. I actually don't mind doing jobs like that. Just try a little harder Ben or try some thinners with a paint brush and just keep brushing it with the dirty thinners then gradually do it again with clean thinners

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=163869
Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 09:30
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #244
Cracked on again this morning.

First job was get a big bag of cloths from my mates garage. £10. Job done.

Next was that suspension leg out of the way. Tried yesterday but couldn't find my hammer to remove the pinch bolt from the hub and to give the hub a bash to free the leg. Found it this morning, all sorted….

Then back to business. Liberal application of Tardis and scraper, followed by more Tardis and rubbing down with a cloth. The justification for doing all this soon became clear. As I've found in other places in the car, and as Willsy's has found in his 309, the factory underseal might look ok, but water is getting in behind and causing this…

Right on the seams too….

Anyways, more scrubbing, rubbing, scraping and swearing about the heat and I'm at this point…

It's nearly there. Gonna see if I can borrow my neighbours pressure washer, apply the Tardis again and give it a blast…..the bit around the lash down point on the chassis leg is proving a pain in the arse to clean and get at. Chassis leg clearly going to benefit from soda blasting too….

Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 14:42
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #245
Cracking work mate,its nice to see you not cutting corners on even the most crappy jobs.

Will be one of if not the best rallye out there once done Thumbs up
Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 18:43
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #246
Cheers Ash.....I can't see the point of not doing it properly...

I do wanna make it one of the best here is! Even if the jobs are s**tty!

Posted 23rd Jul 2016 at 19:58
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #247
If I ever, ever come across a car with this underseal crap on it again, I'm walking away. Don't care how rare, how cheap, how much i might want, it just ain't happening. Ever.

Rant out of the way and off my soapbox, I'll continue! Today's update goes a bit like this:

Borrowed the neighbor's pressure washer first thing to finish off the passenger arch I did yesterday. Took a bit more of the crap off and I'm happy with how it finished up.

Onto the driver's side. Exactly as before, absolutely caked in the stuff so jacked up, wheel off, strut and hub removed. Lots of room. Attacked with Tardis, white spirit and the scraper, it made relative short work of the accessible bits, getting to this stage quite quickly.

Again, failure of the underseal and rust in exactly the same place. I suspect it's down to the holes for the brake pipe brackets.

Continued to clean, found this odd shaped indentation on the chassis leg….

The bracket that holds the charcoal canister continues to annoys me. It needs replacing but it means buying two inner wing strengthening panels to cut them from and at £100, thats not happening….

Not particularly nice around the top mount area on the driver's side….

Removed both front brake pipes and both showing signs of corrosion on corners so will be replacing those..

Thats the worst of the jobs done now. Time to save some £££ to get it blasted.

Posted 24th Jul 2016 at 18:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #248
Mine didn't have underseal but it did have a lot more surface rust, which was a PITA to remove. The stainless small brushes for a Dremel are excellent for getting in tight areas. The same bracket on mine was rusty too. I de-rusted it with Deox gel and painted with Electrox.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 15:30
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #249
A bit of a result......

Put something on the forum Facebook page about those rusty inner wing brackets. A guy from New Zealand is breaking a 306 and they don't get rust issues. One pair of lovely sexy rust free brackets on their way to me...

Gotta love the internet! Huge thanks to Brent!

Posted 26th Jul 2016 at 07:47
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #250
New parts arrived today…..

Pair of as new headlight protectors

Pair of brand new still in the unopened bag boot arch carpet trims

And, 10 of the rare clips that hold the skirts to the bottom of the rear arch…

There is a brand new door sill seal on its way too. That's coming direct from a dealer on the continent….

Posted 27th Jul 2016 at 19:22

Pages (17): first .. 9 [10] 11 .. last