displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Ebay Parts prices - Cheeky beggars!
mj2k

Junior User

Post #1
Wow, I'm finding out some interesting things from Ebay, etc...

I was trying to get a new crankshaft pulley so checked out Ebay, etc for prices. I'd already checked servicebox and confirmed the xu10j4r uses the same pulley as the xu10j4rs (0515k6), so ordered a shiny new j4r one for £38. They sent me the wrong part (for a 1988 Renault Espace?!) but when they checked my reg number they said I needed a totally different pulley to the one I ordered, which cost.... £89! Much arguing later I've finally got the correct part coming for the advertised price, but a £51 premium for saying it's a "GTi6 part" is somewhat steep!

I then did the same for a cheapo 3rd party rear silencer and noticed the 3rd party part numbers for the j4r and j4rs were the same (and looked the same too) but had a £60 price difference! The cheaper 'cheapo box' fitted just fine, of course.

I've also noticed similar smaller discrepancies for various other 3rd party bits and bobs through Ebay, etc.

Now I know there are differences between the two engines - basically anything from the top end is different, but according to Servicebox 90% of the other parts are identical, so it looks like 3rd party parts manufacturers (esp on Ebay) have realised they can charge a huge premium for GTi6 parts purely because it's a 'performance' engine.

What a rip off!
Posted 19th Sep 2014 at 10:51
rikky 🦔

Post #2
for crank pulley i would have got a solid one that won't slip rather than a standard replacement

ebay prices are stupid on a lot of stuff, places lik Carparts4less are where you want to be looking and Andrew Page

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 19th Sep 2014 at 11:34
mj2k

Junior User

Post #3
rikky wrote:
for crank pulley i would have got a solid one that won't slip rather than a standard replacement

ebay prices are stupid on a lot of stuff, places lik Carparts4less are where you want to be looking and Andrew Page

Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm not so sure about the other biggies though - some Eurocarparts pattern parts are a bit hit-and-miss quality and fit-wise, and gsf seem to have got rather expensive of late.

The solid pulley might be on the cards for some time in the future but for the mo I'm trying to stick to the cheapest standard parts I can find since I've got no idea of the engine's condition. It's got no service history and though it's got great compression test results, good looking oil, sounds healthy and isn't pressurizing the cooling system, there's still a chance something sinister (like worn big ends, etc) might leap out and bite me on the bum.
Posted 19th Sep 2014 at 11:45
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #4
A mate (sort of) of mine used to do this thing with Amazon. He would simply take the product and advertise it on ebay with a mark up of about 10% so I guess a lot of prices just cannot be trusted. I always research stuff elsewhere before buying on ebay just like you have done Thumbs up

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 19th Sep 2014 at 18:51
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I paid £120 for a phase 3 front bumper and fogs 2nd hand from eBay joined here and see them go for £30, mini stuffs the same you can literally buy it from the forum and sell it on eBay making 20-30%

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 19th Sep 2014 at 19:05
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #6
Theres loads like that on there. A set of genuine Citroen gear cables for a picasso were £130, only cost £115 in the dealer. people just assume ebay is cheap and get everything there. It is good for some stuff mind.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 20th Sep 2014 at 20:47
Nose

Senior User

Post #7
mark.evs wrote:
Theres loads like that on there. A set of genuine Citroen gear cables for a picasso were £130, only cost £115 in the dealer. people just assume ebay is cheap and get everything there. It is good for some stuff mind.

Exactly! I had the same when looking fort a new aerial and base for the Rallye, actually worked out about £6/7 cheaper direct from Pug than on ebay. But then the flip side to this is my rear brake pressure regulator, cheapest place was the place i ended up getting it from via AMAMZON, so as said before, always pays to do a bit of research first Yes

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 20th Sep 2014 at 21:42