displaying posts 1 to 25 of 140

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: '98 Gti6 Track Day Project
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi all,

So i thought I better introduce you to the new project!

I have spent the last 5 years in diesel company cars (120d's etc) and frankly it was sapping my enthusiasm for all things petrol related regardless of how competent they may have been. SO, i got a half decent bonus from work and i've had a spring in my step since i bought my new toy!

SO I set out to buy a Clio 172, but was drawn to 205's and 306's courtesy of my dads 3 year fling with a 1.6 GTI 205 back when i was 10... I have bought a car that has clearly been around the 306gti6 forum for a while (it had stickers for the forum on it dating back to 2006 or so...), it went against everything i normally adhere to when buying a car, not to mention its done 160k miles and i am amazingly, the 10th owner....

Its had a hard life, the paintwork is frankly woeful (someone has blown over it with pearlescent white and its a crap job at best (paint flaking on the bumpers etc, however it had some very cool bits (I was sold at the sight of the Speedline wheels) i was smitten....

So i drove down to Reading and paid £1100 quid (possibly a bit much for what it is but i dont care right now...) for what i hope will be my project for many many years to come, the spec is as follows:

• Bilstein B8 Dampers
  • Eibach Springs
  • BakerBM Solid Engine Mounts (Top engine mount fix too...)
  • RichW Rebuilt Head with Triple Layer Metal Gasket and New Cambelt (back in 2011 but only done 8k since...)
  • Roller bearing front wishbone conversion
  • Rose joint front ARB
  • Solid rear mounts
  • Hi-Spec Billet 300 4 Pot brakes
  • Peugeot 307, 302mm disc upgrade
  • Yellow Stuff pads
  • K&N Panel filter
  • Full Magnex system including sports cat & decat (havent fitted the latter yet, is it worth it?)
  • Recaro drivers seat (Prodrive bucket thing)
  • Appears to have also been remapped, with a dyno showing 174.4bhp at the fly, although this was in 2008
  • Speedline Turini Wheels (think Clio Trophy) with Toyo Proxes

• It is by far the best handling car i've ever driven, its electric to drive, i love the rattling solidity of the engine mounts, its relentless when you change gear, the oil is golden, its just bloody awesome.

It is a bit 'tappy' top end wise, so i suspect its tired and will pop on my first track day, but lets hope not...

The plan:

I've already bought:

• Ferodo DS2500 pads (the yellow stuff pads were beyond crap)
  • Tarox G88 Discs (coming soon, cant wait, the brakes are really very poor, discs are knackered)
  • Sparco buckets (drivers seat is in, waiting on 2nd sub frame...)
  • OMP Steering Wheel
  • DG Snap-Off wheel mount
  • New plates, including 90% size front numberplate to fit recess and 'aid' cooling (honest)

• (I found the lack of steering wheel adjustment too much to bare and have plumped for a non-airbag wheel on a boss to bring it closer to me, i really hope it helps as i'm a lanky git and my knees hit the wheel at the moment...)

Then i smashed the wheel into a storm drain whilst avoiding a dog, hence the white wheel, bare with on that one, they will all be white eventually....

As it is today post polish:

Long terms plans include rebuild, jenvey's and a cage, oh and a few trackdays!

Long live the NA Hot Hatch, its given me a real spring in my step and not cost that much either, bloody marvellous Smile

Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 18:38
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
    Looks good! Any plans for the old seat?

Any work done on the rear beam?

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 18:25
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
    So the old seat was on ebay - ended yesterday but so far the winner hasnt paid up. He won it for £78 which is the bargain of the century!!

With regards to the rear beam - its got solid mounts and polyflex bushes for the damper, what else can one do!?
    Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 18:43
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
    Shame, might have been interested for the spare car!

With the rear beam you can do thicker torsion bars, thicker ARB, adjustable dambers, 0 toe trailing arms, rear camber etc. Smile

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 19:33
    teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #5
    Front bumper isn't off of a 6, is it? And the headlights are phase 3, i think, while the car is phase 2. Odd wing mirrors, too!

Overall, nice spec for £1100. The mounts, wishbones etc are what I've just bought for mine.

I'm trying to remember who else, apart from me, had a white p2 back then; I can only remember Giny.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
    Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 20:18
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    I found some old posts referring to the car, it had a lightweight flywheel in it and the guy smashed it...

Not sure on the front bumper, i thought it was off a 6 but has the Rallye fog light covers? I think it may have been 'smoothed' as its cracked all over the shop, but without knowing the colour i've no idea what to replace them with.

Agreed its certainly got the Phase 3 headlights (missing the inner caps which is annoying)

Whats weird about the mirrors? (they're very small!)

its also got a Nissens rad but one duff rad fan so just trying to get that fixed!

Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 21:55
    teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #7
    I couldn't see the fog-light covers in the pic. They really stand out on mine.

Mirror size looks fine, just that they're black. Do they not give good rear coverage? Could be aftermarket glass. Also it's got clear repeaters, they're a phase 3 thing. Phase two were orange.

Paint code is POWP? Should be on a sticker near one of the strut tops. Bianca white.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 22:27
    teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #8
    Standard.....

I'd much rather have had it in your spec, though! I'll be following your progress. Thumbs up

Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 22:32
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    Haha it's a right mongrel then!

The whole car has been respected badly so ok not sure the paint code will tally but I'll give it a go thanks!

Yours looks lovely! :-)
    Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 07:40
    teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #10
    The paint you get supplied might not match anyway, even if it's the same code. I had a Halfords' Bianca White touch-up pen and it was off from the car colour.

The pic of the white 6 was taken over 10 years ago. I sold it, then it got stolen and burnt out, sometime in '05 I think. Best thing for it, it was a bit of a Friday afternoon dog; I'm sure it spent more time being repaired than it was on the road for, even being only 5 or 6 years old when I had it.

I put white Compomotive MOs on it, and it looked dead smart, so I know yours will look great on the white wheels.

Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 14:26
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    Awesome :-) white wheels all the way!
    Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 14:40
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    Finally got hold of a boss that fits (for the record my phase 2 did have an airbag, and yes it needed a phase 3 boss regardless of what various well known motorsport retailers thought...)

Anyway, i've always struggled with the seating position, im 6'3 and my knees used to hit the steering wheel (plus it was a manky old thing anyway) as i'm going down the harness route anyway i have opted for an OMP style setup, and its frankly fantastic, im free to move around, it feels great and the smaller diameter makes the turn in feel even more electric...

Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 19:47
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    More presents from the post man!!

Posted 28th Aug 2014 at 17:20
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #14

So I managed to fit the brakes over the weekend...

Not saying my brakes were buggered but yikes!

New ones on :-)

Not pushing too hard until they've bedded in and work commitments are getting in the way, but initial impressions are fantastic, a real transformation and look forward to giving them a real work out soon!
    Posted 2nd Sep 2014 at 15:02
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    I'm surprised there's so much extra disc that the pad isn't touching?

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 2nd Sep 2014 at 18:43
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    Yeah I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other, the old discs had the pad overhanging the inner edge, these the opposite. Either way they are excellent and I'm extremely pleased!
    Posted 3rd Sep 2014 at 10:19
    luke89

Regular

Post #17
    Must help with cooling having the extra metal that isn't being used.
    Posted 17th Sep 2014 at 21:56
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    So a massive thanks to Cully and Welshpug with regards to all the help getting the cooling on the car, some way to working (still failing to get the bloody second fan working!)

However, first track day is on Monday at Bedford Autodrome (naturally the forecast is sh*te) but hey ho i'm going!

I've made quite a few changes since buying the car and overall it now stops, goes and handles better than ever and cant wait to get it out on the circuit! (been as a passenger but my first outing as the driver on a trackday - gulp)

Since the initial post i've done the following:

- Fitted 302mm Tarox discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads
    - Serviced the Billet 300 Hi-Spec kit
    - Changed the brakefluid (which was dire) to Dot 4 blue
    - Stripped out the entire back end up to the front seats
    - Changed half of the bloody fan electrical system and it still only runs on one fan....
    - Fitted the a/c fan override so one highspeed fan comes on and seems to do the job just fine (i see Rallyes only have 1 anyway?!)
    - Fitted 2 x Sparco buckets with Sparco subframes/sliders etc
    - Serviced solid wishbone mounts etc/packed with grease
    - OMP Wheel

I also discovered its been remapped - with a RR printout stating 144.4 bhp at the fly, 174 at the wheels - back in 2008

I've tried to do it all properly, good quality parts, no warning lights, retained airbag wiring/resistors etc so all works as it should (bar the lack of drivers airbag!)

Engine is still a very noisy one, many taps and nasty metallic sounds so we'll see how long she lasts (truthfully i pray it doesnt break but i guess it may do, the engine really is the weak link)

Its epic to drive, and there's another GTi6 going on Monday so keen to see how i shape up against the other Pug and a million Clio's....

Here are a few pics!

Next up:

Get oil cooler plumbed (crappy pipework supplied), refurb all wheels white, then decide what to do about cages, harnesses, better seats and throttle bodies...

Its an expensive hobby eh Smile

Cheers

C
    Posted 3rd Oct 2014 at 18:53
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    Think your BHP figure is the wrong way round? Razz

Bedford's a good circuit for your first trackday, plenty of run off. I've done Palmersport a few times there and it felt safe in those cars so it'll be fine in a 306! Smile

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 3rd Oct 2014 at 18:53
    Eddleston

Regular

Post #20
    Those seats look really nice. What did they cost you roughly?

the zombie apocalypse started long ago, only no-one realised most can talk and drive
    Posted 3rd Oct 2014 at 19:20
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    demondriverdan wrote:
    Think your BHP figure is the wrong way round? Razz

Bedford's a good circuit for your first trackday, plenty of run off. I've done Palmersport a few times there and it felt safe in those cars so it'll be fine in a 306! Smile

Lol oh yeah you may be right about the bhp figure lol

Seats were on eBay, grabbed them for £220 for the pair, subframes were £60 odd each though gulp...
    Posted 3rd Oct 2014 at 20:56
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    Well Monday has been and gone, and what an awesome day!

Bedford resembled a lake for most of the day but the car was bloody awesome, engine (oil) ran a tad hot (around 120/130), and the Toyo Proxes 4's literally fell apart after the morning (brand sodding new)

Overall though, for a car of this age it was brilliant, spending the day troubling the Clio 172's and keeping lots of exotica machinery honest in the slippery conditions...

To Do's Now i'm back:

1) New Tyres - either R888's or A048's
    2) Plumb in oil cooler (need new pipework)
    3) Try and fix the bloody 2nd fan issue that is at 6 pages in the engine section...
    4) Book another trackday!

Some pics from the day:

Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 13:43
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    Sod it and book yourself on to Brands next Wednesday! I'll be there with the race car Big grin

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 13:44
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Haha i'd love to but with these tyres truthfully I think it would be a waste if time, I literally spent the afternoon completely sideways!
    Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 13:50
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    Tyres take less than a day to change tyres :p

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 13:51

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last