displaying posts 26 to 50 of 140

Pages (6): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: '98 Gti6 Track Day Project
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Lol takes the wife about 5 mins to murder me if I blow 500 quid on track tyres!
Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 13:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
595 RSRs are less than £300 a set :p

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 14:01
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Ahh I like your style lol
Posted 8th Oct 2014 at 14:20
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Well it took a while but i've done it and went for the 595 RSR Tyres - £75 a corner fitted - Seems very very reasonable in comparison to the AD08 etc, and WOW!! what a difference, i've only managed to get out in the wet thus far, which supposedly isnt their strongest asset and the difference between these and the Toyo Proxes on there before is night and day!

I'm massively pleased, also gone up from a 195/45 to a 205/45 16, no rubbing regardless of how hard i throw it about and it also has that lovely slightly chubby track tyre look to boot!

Booked in to go to Bedford Autodrome on the 16th of Feb, cant wait to see how they hold up on track...

Could resist a thrash regardless of weather lol

Loving the car, also going to remove the decat - MOT is due and the decat pipe is failing (cracks around welds etc) so although as track car i think the torque curve with decat suited it, its just too much of a faff every time we come around to an MOT (It was also painfully loud and raspy)

Posted 9th Jan 2015 at 09:50
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Well it's mot time and the decat has started blowing so had it removed yesterday, and as muh as I said it suited a track car, I have to confess it sounds nicer and pulls harder with the cat back on...

Cleaned pre-thrash back home, still keeps me grinning from ear to ear!

Posted 22nd Jan 2015 at 09:49
ash j

Regular

Post #31
Looking good Thumbs up

Decided to go back to anthracite with the front n/s wheel instead of going all white then? Good choice if so!
Posted 22nd Jan 2015 at 09:58
Twangy

Senior User

Post #32
nice little project , they are a good little car ,loads of fun factor

wayne mcardle
Posted 22nd Jan 2015 at 10:00
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
ash j wrote:
Looking good Thumbs up

Decided to go back to anthracite with the front n/s wheel instead of going all white then? Good choice if so!

Haha sadly not, the white one is round the other side following the new tyres being fitted...

So its going in again on Monday for the actual MOT, oil cooler finally being plumbed in, and whatever else comes from the MOT which no doubt it will fail being old and generally oily....

The handbrake is particularly useless!?

Courtesy of Tax for this, the X5 and a service/MOT for both the wheel refurb has been put off yet again, albeit as a track car i dont look like too much of a pikey Wink

Posted 22nd Jan 2015 at 10:10
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
So i've been worried about the quality of my steering wheel ever since I saw a video of how the bloody things snap and spear you like a cheap kebab. (I should have realised £45 was too good to be true...)

Anyway, I managed to grab a real bargain on eBay, a badly listed, virtually new OMP 2 Spoke wheel worth £160 @ Demon Tweeks right now.....price i paid, £65 incl postage - bargain...

And I love it! (its way way stronger/stiffer, slightly smaller and thinner rim, as well as being lighter, but most pleasing is the way it fits, rather than cheese strength plated bolts it uses the high-tensile Momo bolts that came with the boss, all counter sunk etc.)

I gave it a quick wash over lunch, noticed the tyres are ever-so-slightly catching the arches on the outside, i guess i will need to get them rolled?

Cheeky pic, without the decat the exhaust sits perfectly:

Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 16:22
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
So we were back on track on Monday last week (16th FeCool @ Bedford, and following the previous outing i was suffering from oil temp issues. now the car came with an oil cooler fitted in a bracked but not plumbed in...

Oil cooler all plumbed in with Mocal thermostatic plate, oil temps on track never broke 100 (140 last October in similar conditions)

Also gave it a full oil change/service and fitted a new clutch cable. (the latter transformed the car!)

Car park, pre track:

The track day was fantastic, started off dry and the car felt amazing, the RSR's were incredibly sticky and we were faster than quite a few traditionally faster cars. Here's a few pics and a video of one of my dry laps, it was one of the first laps and turn in was a tad aggressive, definitely improved throughout the day...

Bloody LOVE this picture from a guy in the track day section on PH!:

Video:

The weather got progressively worse from lunch time onwards, however It was fantastic, really forced me to adapt my driving style, balancing understeer vs oversteer, trail braking etc, its some of the best driving i've ever done. Towards the end of the day we were keeping up with really pretty special cars, particularly the E46 M3's, one lap I caught on camera below that i'm pretty pleased with! (RSR's arent amazing in the wet so did struggle with understeer on a couple of occasions as you'll see...

Wet Video: 12 solid laps chasing this M3! (just awesome)

Overall the car was fantastic, brakes remain the best setup i've ever used, handling is agile and lively but incredibly predictable and engaging, although i am craving more straight line speed (particulary torque out of the apex) however i cant complain, clicked over 160k miles whilst on track, completing 180 miles on track and 110 miles each way to get there!

Now on the hunt for the elusive half-cage, harnesses and throttle bodies....

Thanks for reading Smile

Chris

Posted 23rd Feb 2015 at 17:10
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #36
Very cool video. Love all the splits and speeds etc. Great set up.

Also i think you need to mic up your commentary Wink

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 24th Feb 2015 at 11:37
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #37
BTW - meant to ask you what boss you got and from where? Ta

I'm just going to bit the bullet and get a OMP wheel new as driving the car with my knees hitting the steering or with outstretched arms is a recipe for distaster.

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 24th Feb 2015 at 11:41
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
MisterGTR wrote:
BTW - meant to ask you what boss you got and from where? Ta

I'm just going to bit the bullet and get a OMP wheel new as driving the car with my knees hitting the steering or with outstretched arms is a recipe for distaster.

Haha thanks re:commentary - I didnt realise quite how vocal i was - no insults are to be taken personally LOL

Boss wise, i got the momo one from Demon Tweeks - after much searching I gave up trying to buy a shorter one so i could run in conjunction with a detachable boss. My car is a weird Phase 2/3 hybrid (i.e. they will ask if it has an airbag, and in my case they insisted mine wouldnt, but does...) it all comes down to the airbag boss having a different 'tab' thing that cancels the indicator, anyway, the boss i have is a 'phase 3' one

I think a new wheel is a wise move, my Dad has just concluded the same for his Westfield having tried a variety of replicas, either the OMP wheel or some of the Sparco items are also rather nice!
Posted 24th Feb 2015 at 16:13
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #39
Thanks - so the momo one has the indicator and air bag cancel?

And the commentary makes it all the more watchable Wink

Posted 25th Feb 2015 at 07:33
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Yep momo comes with the resistor for the airbag and cancel tab bit :-)

Oh and it's collapsable for mot purposes even though the systems at demontweeks will tell them they only have the Motorsport one for airbag cars which is supposedly solid, but it isn't....
Posted 25th Feb 2015 at 08:11
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
So...Update time, christ its been bloody ages!

Well after what seems like an eternity progress at last - Rallye Aux kit fitted & all of the aircon pipes etc all removed, along with the compressor etc...

I also stripped out all of the carpet & sound deadening which has made it very very raw, but kind of fun and it was an amazing amount of weight reduction (particularly the rear seats carpet and the bulk head sound deadening

And much more importantly, it was a real pain of a job by all accounts but my Satchshift is in, and I can confirm, utterly utterly brilliant!

As you will see I also bought a fire extinguisher as the tunnel does get very very hot after a reasonable drive so I can only imagine it could get pretty damn hot on track...

On the down side, I have found rather a lot of rust in the passenger wing and the floor on both passenger & driver foot wells (in the corners and running along the sill) so some serious welding is on the horizon i guess :-(

That said it is still so much fun to drive, so agile, lively, direct and engaging - such great cars!

Posted 4th Aug 2015 at 19:57
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Well its been a few weeks since i stripped it out, loving the 'rawness' of the car now, really feels like a proper little sports car now..

That said it looked a bit crappy and with wet shoes was truthfully lethal, so i've added a set of tailored front mats which i've attached down (taking inspiration from my dads Westfield) with industrial velcro which has worked amazingly well.

I've also trunked all of the interior cabling which looks a hell of a lot nicer but also protects the wires during a spirited drive...

Posted 11th Sep 2015 at 15:38
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
So I had a full replacement set of richw bearings fitted to the existing setup which has been on the car for I'd estimate 20k miles and what a transformation! Holy crap, I mean in all dimensions, turn in, tram lining, complete lack of knocking, it's easily the best money I've spent so far in terms of impact

In other news I had the gearbox oil replaced and that has made the shift far smoother, particularly second which is useful given the speed of shift now with the Satchshift

Love this little car, just gets better and better to drive!
Posted 28th Sep 2015 at 23:28
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
I'm still tempted by the Satchshift, although spending £1k on a new dash and data logger so that comes first!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 29th Sep 2015 at 00:07
99rallye

Regular

Post #45
When are you getting that bloody odd wheel painted!? Looks brilliant, loving this thread.
Posted 29th Sep 2015 at 07:24
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
99rallye wrote:
When are you getting that bloody odd wheel painted!? Looks brilliant, loving this thread.

Haha yeah i know i know - problem is its not slowing my car down on track so i'd rather spend the money on fancy bits lol

Thanks for the kind words - scary amounts of work/money still to use up but its just an awesome little car for relatively little money in the big scheme of things
Posted 29th Sep 2015 at 09:00
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
demondriverdan wrote:
I'm still tempted by the Satchshift, although spending £1k on a new dash and data logger so that comes first!

Worth every penny Dan, took a mate out last night for a bit of a blast, and with the new oil etc i'd almost argue the shift is too quick for the box - its just awesome
Posted 29th Sep 2015 at 09:02
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Chr1sch wrote:
Worth every penny Dan, took a mate out last night for a bit of a blast, and with the new oil etc i'd almost argue the shift is too quick for the box - its just awesome

The race car gets new gearbox oil as often as it does engine oil, every 3 or 4 races! Smile I think I need to try a car with one first then it'll convince me.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 29th Sep 2015 at 10:09
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
I'll be at bedford on the 19th, you're more than welcome to come have a look
Posted 29th Sep 2015 at 10:30
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Totally chuffed, thanks to Eddy aka Chris on here I bagged a set of 16" Pro Race 1.2's and had them powder coated White - a lot of people like the Turini's and I did but always wanted these not just for looks but weight advantage too...needless to say I bloody love them :-)

Centre caps are coming...
Posted 11th Oct 2015 at 21:57

Pages (6): 1 [2] 3 .. last