displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Ice setup advice, keeping oem stereo
orta

Senior User

Post #1
Hi all,

Hoping you good chaps could help me out?
Want to keep my standard cassette with cd changer setup but the speakers in the car sound as tinny as hell. Wondering what speakers were recommended to upgrade to (think the front mainly), that work well with the standard stereo and just improve the quality of sound.

I remember a few years back everyone was installing 626e jbl speakers as they fit into the doors with very minimal work? Is there an improvement on this?

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 23:00
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Standard stereo has an awful amp.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 23:27
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Alpine sxe 1725s are direct fit but lack some bass.
Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 00:12
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
bigbadbowen wrote:
Alpine sxe 1725s are direct fit but lack some bass.

Very true but they are inexpensive and sound way better than OE speakers.

See post 34 at: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=136766&page=2

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 01:16
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
If I were you, I'd buy an alpine HU and then get a 2nd hand alpine CD changer as well, then go for the alpine speakers mentioned.

I currently have an alpine HU that I picked up 2nd hand that I am extremely happy with. Works with the stalk, has a small LCD screen so shows album art and very easy to browse with, hard drives plug in, full ipod control etc. The improvement in quality was noticable just with the head unit.

My next plan is to buy the component version of the speakers in mik's post (the ones with separate tweeters) and try to fit them behind OEM tweeter covers which are 2 pounds each or so.

I may go for an amp somewhere as well but not sure yet, and maybe something in the parcel shelf to play lower ranges.

However, basically upgrading the HU will also give you an increase in sound quality and functionality, and that set of alpine speakers have a great reputation considering their low price.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 08:37
orta

Senior User

Post #6
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I know a head unit change would be the smartest thing to do but going for the oem look! Gonna eBay some of those alpine speakers now cheers guys

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 08:58
orta

Senior User

Post #7
Just refitted my dash fascia and now my aerial isn't working? Anyone know what a common fault could be? It was working when I unplugged it, all I've done is plug is back in and now I have no radio reception?

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 18th Oct 2014 at 21:42
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Slide the stereo out and check it's still plugged in ?
Posted 18th Oct 2014 at 22:02
luke89

Regular

Post #9
I've just put some alpine speakers in the for sale section Orta,just a heads up!
Posted 19th Oct 2014 at 01:25