displaying posts 51 to 75 of 164

Pages (7): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: Newbie 306Gti-6 Owner (soon)
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #51
Having replaced all the bushes and arms on the front of mine it feels VERY tight. IIRC back to the days of my S16 ownership, I remember the PAS not being overly effective although I did run it once without a belt and it was brutal to say the least!!

TT
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 11:26
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #52
tarmac terror wrote:
Having replaced all the bushes and arms on the front of mine it feels VERY tight. IIRC back to the days of my S16 ownership, I remember the PAS not being overly effective although I did run it once without a belt and it was brutal to say the least!!

TT

Cheers Scott. Will get on to doing bushes etc down the line. And good to know the PAS is not overly servo'd (if that's the phrase) so it's probably fine! Smile

Any thoughts on this for a purchase? I've read people recommending the halfords sets (strange as usually they are the pariahs of the motoring world)

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-170-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 11:55
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #53
Have to say that the Halfords Professional range stuff is rather good....Don't use any myself but a mate of mine has a large set (actually looks similar to this one) and we use it when working on his Fiesta RST and they do the job. They feel good and I've never had any issues using them. I'd say go for it TBH.......with a lifetime warranty you shouldn't have any worries.

I used to buy Snap-On when I was a garage monkey but only because,
1) The van used to stop by every fortnight
2) I didn't know any better

Nowadays I'll buy stuff from folks like Mac, Teng, Beta, Facom, Britool etc. To be fair most are from the same stable anyway e.g.Facom/Britool, Snap-On/Blue Point.

As long as they're not unbranded or Silverline/Laser then you shouldn't go far wrong...

TT
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 12:38
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #54
Cheers Scott. I have a trade card for Halfords. Although yet to see a discount yet! Smile

Would love a snap on set - but can't even afford the tool boxes/units!! Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 12:52
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #55
Are these the spark plugs i want?

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 13:02
lj_6

Regular

Post #56
I will Vouch for Halfords tools. I bought the 150 piece socket set, its gone through 4 track days, rebuilding my astra, and about to do the 306 with it. Nothing Broken *touch wood*
With the life time guarentee its perfect.

And if i remember hearing right, the company that makes the tools for halfords is part of snap on....

Also will say Sealey tools are good aswell!

Astra burg #365 Garrett Power
'99 bodied 6 track project
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 13:16
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #57
lj_6 wrote:
I will Vouch for Halfords tools. I bought the 150 piece socket set, its gone through 4 track days, rebuilding my astra, and about to do the 306 with it. Nothing Broken *touch wood*
With the life time guarentee its perfect.

And if i remember hearing right, the company that makes the tools for halfords is part of snap on....

Also will say Sealey tools are good aswell!

Cheers LJ. Good to know.

I got the Sealey spark plug bit separately.

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 13:38
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #58
Anyone object to more Halford kit

Halfords 5 Piece Lifting Kit £75 seems decent value.

EDIT: Ignore me....the jack doesn't go very low. Will buy a decent jack and get the other bits separately.

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 14:09
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #59
Just to report back that the Halford 170 piece tool kit with trade card came in at £110. So picked up some swarfega and and funnel with the savings! Doh!

Gearbox oil will be picked up tomorrow from local dealers with the crushable washer.

Got some axle stands arriving tomorrow and this jack should be here for the weekend. Although OH has planned my weekend for me! So may be next week before i get to it.

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 17:03
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
sounds awesome! proper man cave stuff lol

I've just done the same, albeit not with quite such a big kit!
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 17:45
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #61
Chr1sch wrote:
sounds awesome! proper man cave stuff lol

I've just done the same, albeit not with quite such a big kit!

Yeh - i got a bit carried away (overkill) on the kit. But i'm justifying it by selling golf gear! And the fact that a few oil, break pads and suspension changes will make it pay for itself!

Okay - stepping away from online purchases.

One annoying thing is that i threw away a box of tapes from my teenages days about 2 months ago. Tapes i used to go cruising around to in 91-93. Would have been funny to hear them again. But i did find one tape of my sisters in my dads which i'm listening to Abattoir Dogs

Oh and still trying to figure out a semi-comfortable driving position. Seat at lowest position. Steering wheel at highest and i can't get close enough to steering wheel while not having my knees smashing into it. Wish the steering wheel was about 3 inches closer to me as i'm driving with almost straight arms at the mo, which i dont' like at all. I'm looking to get my wrists on top of the steering wheel when sitting comfortably. It's not happening as it is. Maybe i've been spoiled in recent years! Big grin

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 17:59
lj_6

Regular

Post #62
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcan-1-8-Ton-Tonne-Aluminum-Car-Service-Trolley-Jack-Quick-Lift-/171324587370?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item27e3bdbd6a

I got one of these from Costco but they seemed to have stopped selling them. One of the best jacks I've used. Will go under most lowered cars within reason. Are stable and are very well built.

Promise I'm not trying to get you to spend more money. Lol.

Astra burg #365 Garrett Power
'99 bodied 6 track project
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 20:45
calibra306

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
Costco dont always stock certain things for long cause they buy pallet deals ie stuff they they get a good price on so limited stock. when its gone its gone then something else replaces it. Used to work for them moons ago

V6 Power!

Faster I can go the better!

Its not what you drive, its how you drive that wins the race!
Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 22:29
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
MisterGTR wrote:
Are these the spark plugs i want?

Maybe, but get NGK BKR6EK, they are the recommended plugs for this engine, and work flawlessly.
Reading around the forum there are mixed reviews of 'uprated' plugs, but in my opinion they do nothing except cost more money.

Also, absolutely use genuine peugeot oil for the gearbox oil, it doesn't like other brands at all for some reason. You need 2.1L in there but I just bought 2L of it and put it in as old stuff is always clinging to the insides.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 07:01
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #65
lj_6 wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcan-1-8-Ton-Tonne-Aluminum-Car-Service-Trolley-Jack-Quick-Lift-/171324587370?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item27e3bdbd6a

I got one of these from Costco but they seemed to have stopped selling them. One of the best jacks I've used. Will go under most lowered cars within reason. Are stable and are very well built.

Promise I'm not trying to get you to spend more money. Lol.

Yeah I checked Costco first. So ended up with the Sealey one.

And cheers for heads up on spark plugs. Won't bother with iridium for now.

Went to local Peugeot dealer for gearbox oil. Almost £20 for 2 x 1litre so not as cheap as elsewhere but I thought it means I can do on Sunday. But alas they won't have the sump nut and crush washer till Saturday and I can only pick up on Monday. So getting my hands dirty will have to wait.

In other news I loaded CD changer with cds from 1992. Took me back lol

Posted 21st Aug 2014 at 11:55
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #66
Can anyone confirm if it's part 16 or 17 (washer and sump screw)I need for changing the gearbox oil.

Posted 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:38
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #67
Can't seem to attach the photo I took if parts sheet

Part 16 is 2221 32
Part 17 is 2538 10

Posted 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:41
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #68
I used this for gear oil...Total BV....

Good price and the right stuff.

TT
Posted 23rd Aug 2014 at 13:00
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
That's the same as the genuine stuff, and what is in mine as well. It is great.

Posted 23rd Aug 2014 at 14:43
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #70
tarmac terror wrote:
I used this for gear oil...Total BV....

Good price and the right stuff.

TT

Yeah I was going to buy that but Peugeot garage said they had sump screw and washer in stock along with that oil so get it all for tomorrow I bought it for quite a bit more then found out the washer wasn't in stock. Will need to check it's the right screw. I think they ordered part16 . Shame I can't upload the part sheet.

Posted 23rd Aug 2014 at 17:01
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #71
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Ss7OHfP4NEQzAwYkdXc2tmS1k/edit?usp=docslist_api

Larger version

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Ss7OHfP4NETFRRZUhTYi1NUFk/edit?usp=docslist_api

Okay here's the doc. Part 16 or 17? For draining gearbox oil as per instructions on here.

Posted 23rd Aug 2014 at 23:44
matt16v

Regular

Post #72
Welcome to the Ph2 Diablo club (and the lacquer peel club Sad)

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+
Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 18:05
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #73
matt16v wrote:
Welcome to the Ph2 Diablo club (and the lacquer peel club Sad)

Cheers Smile

Still looks great even with the peel Smile

Posted 26th Aug 2014 at 20:46
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #74
So today i had my first go at DIY mechanic in 20 years. I'm replacing the radiator and condeser. Although i'm currently only doing the radiator part. So bumper is still on.

Was a comedy of errors as per usual with anything i do.
Eg i picked up my halfords tool kit not once but twice without closing the latches and had to play a game of put all the bits back in the box!

Took me a while to find a jacking point to use so i could put the axel stands at the jacking points. What i did was take off the cover under the car (held on with random bolts and srews as it's broken at the proper fixing points) and jack up in the jacking point.

Most of the clips for the wheel liners are missing. Not sure how it was all hanging in there. But it was.

And then the torx screw for the air box was stripped. So i had to drill it out. Problem was it's quite a thick screw (i found it) and so the plastic air box actually melted so i could actually pull it off. I then had to remove the screw from beneath with pliers.

So i've left the car radiator draining in the dark.....more fun and games tomorrow!

But thanks to the man who wrote the radiator changing FAQ. Well written (well up to the bit i'm at!)

Must remember to make a list of the clips and screws that were missing to place an order at Pug on Monday when i pick up the new hose i've ordered.

Posted 30th Aug 2014 at 22:53
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
Plastic airbox? Held on by torx screws?

Should look like this and be made of metal. The resonator on the side is plastic though.

Posted 31st Aug 2014 at 10:19

Pages (7): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last