displaying posts 26 to 50 of 164

Pages (7): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: Newbie 306Gti-6 Owner (soon)
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #26
tarmac terror wrote:
Meh.....Everyone knows that Fife has the BEST driving roads in the UK!!!!, LOL:.

All joking aside, the Fife Coast road is just awesome and rates as some of the best roads I've ever driven. Used to terrorise the locals in both my MKII RS2000's back in the day! Shame the GTR won't be a road car as I'd love to take it for a blast there. Still, will be trailering it up to Knockhill as, despite living on the South Coast now, Knockhill's a great circuit and a 'must visit'.

As for overalls, get a basic pair from Screwfix or similar. I used to have decent ones but TBH, they get knackered pretty quickly e.g covered in coppaslip or holed from welding. Toolstation do a decent pair for £12!!! In all seriousness though, get yourself a good pair of protective boots or shoes for doing 'garage stuff'. The amount of times my toes have been saved by wearing 'steelies' is beyond counting....

When do you pick up the '6 again???

TT

Youre not wrong. I've been up to Elie, Anstruther and St Andrews many a time. I just don't know the roads as well as the West Coast Smile

Forgot about boots. Will get on to Screwfix for both. Thanks for the advice.

6 has gone to garage for Cambelt, Waterpump, MOT and Service starting tomorrow. One of the guys is on hols so dealer has said we'll aim for Tuesday, I'll probably go down to Chelmsford on Wed (if that suits dealer to pick me up from station etc). Need to make up a CD or 5 (don't know if i have any blanks as everything is USB these days) for the drive back!! Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 8th Aug 2014 at 00:14
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #27
Lecktorious wrote:
Welcome along mate. Seems there are a few more '6s around the Glasgow area than what I thought Smile

Cheers

I'll be keeping my eyes open for other 6's and flashing like a loon no doubt to people who aren't on here Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 8th Aug 2014 at 00:16
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #28
dangti6 wrote:
I have Peugeot overalls. Never wear them though as I don't want to ruin them.

#LOSER

That sounds very much like me!! Smile I was looking at some £50 overalls! No need for the amount of use they'd get.

rallyestyle wrote:
Hello Wave Welcome to the club, nice to see the cars are still drawing in new members. I think TT is starting to get quite fond of his rallye LOL

thanks very much and yeh TT is very fond of his Rallye, but i think his Rallye is probably equally happy to be in very capable hands rather than someone like mines! Smile

Posted 8th Aug 2014 at 00:19
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
dangti6 wrote:

#LOSER

Sell them to Stan. I'm sure he'd relish putting them on to roll his car backwards and forwards
Posted 8th Aug 2014 at 01:51
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
gilesy wrote:
dangti6 wrote:

#LOSER

Sell them to Stan. I'm sure he'd relish putting them on to roll his car backwards and forwards

Would they fit over his shirt though?

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 8th Aug 2014 at 10:29
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #31
RetroPug wrote:
gilesy wrote:
dangti6 wrote:

#LOSER

Would they fit over his shirt though?

LOL LOL LOL
Posted 8th Aug 2014 at 11:09
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
I drive quite a few R35 GTRs on a regular basis and although hugely capable you have to be going very quickly indeed to find it fun. Too fast for road use due to the lemmings out there. Track is different and they can really shine with a few handling modifications - some of our customers do 30-40 track days a year!

There is always something great about running a relatively low powered but great handling car down a small B road, or getting it past an STi on track. Welcome! Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 08:57
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Welcome to the Mad house Thumbs up
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 09:04
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #34
Meh......everyone knows the 'GTR' is the Skyline GTR's lardy, upstart wee brother LOL. Older brother can still give little brother a good hiding from time to time. Big grin

Oh, and dont mention things like.....
Gearbox No
Tyres No
Brakes Whistle
Pedestrian 'safety' system Crazy
Etc

Razz Razz

LOL

(a bit of GTROC banter the for those not in the know )

TT
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 09:23
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #35
Can you tell i'm a big fan of smileys??

LOL

TT
Posted 11th Aug 2014 at 14:46
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Tyres aren't so bad if you get the right ones, pre11 gearboxes are a 215+vat fix (before they've damaged themselves), brakes are pretty expensive but then some cars have done over 50k on them.

You forgot headunits, Bose speakers, Speedo leds and headlights Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 14:17
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #37
First Mod purchased!! lol

Xsara Mist Washers

Will be looking for good condition bonnet and boot next. And must stop looking at Oz wheels in 17". And stick to the standard wheels. Brakes and suspension will be assessed on receipt.

Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 17:15
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
[url=]type some text here[/url]

Like that, with the link copied and pasted after the = sign. Smile

Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 16:52
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #39
RetroPug wrote:
[url=]type some text here[/url]

Like that, with the link copied and pasted after the = sign. Smile

Ah that's for that! Sorted.

Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 17:15
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #40
If they're the same one's that I bought then you might be disappointed!!

When I put them on the car the jet was so low that it hit the bonnet and there was no way that they could be adjusted. Hope you have more luck with the one's you have bought.

TT
Posted 11th Aug 2014 at 14:50
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #41
tarmac terror wrote:
If they're the same one's that I bought then you might be disappointed!!

When I put them on the car the jet was so low that it hit the bonnet and there was no way that they could be adjusted. Hope you have more luck with the one's you have bought.

TT

If it doesn't work, in proper modders methodology, i'll get a Phase 3 bonnet to sort LOL

Posted 11th Aug 2014 at 16:33
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #42
Picked up car yesterday from Chelmsford and drove it back to Glasgow.

Good points:

The car (need to come up with a name) has only being doing 3000 miles per year according to the MOT checks.
The car kept up with traffic all the way home on one tank of fuel getting around 35mpg which i thought was very good.
The acceleration in 4th at motorway speeds is very good (remember i'm used to over 3 times the power!)
The car felt really tight.
I didn't realise it had autowipers.
Sound system is actually quite good for the age of car.

Bad points:
Paint work - laquer peel is quite extensive
Alloys
Air Con
I added 500 miles in one day when it's being doing 3000 miles per year!
Wipers make a horrible noise
Funny smell in car.

I haven't had a chance to look the car over properly (i know i'm supposed to do that before buying it but i had service, mot, timing belt/water pump changed) but it's got all keys and bits from a well looked after car.

Need to start collecting/buying bits:
eg Brakes, suspension, strut brace 16" wheels etc (need to do more research) If anyone wants to sell me bit.....

And just for my own sanity - get the AC fixed.

But overall i'm so looking forward to getting this car looking good. And i can't see me ever selling it! It's that good already!

Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 10:23
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
I can provide a link to VTS washer jets that are inexpensive that hit the windscreen correctly on my Ph.2 and on my Ph.1. That was after I changed the bonnet on the Ph.2 so cannot be sure if it was a Ph.2 or 3 bonnet though.
Edit: Here is the link.

I bought the aero wipers recommended in this thread:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=153262
and they worked pretty well on my Ph.1 considering how cheap they were.

Correctly aimed Xsara jets and aero wipers will make windscreen clearing effortless!

Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 15:12
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #44
RetroPug wrote:
I can provide a link to VTS washer jets that are inexpensive that hit the windscreen correctly

On you go then!!!! Big grin

TT
Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 15:12
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
Just edited it and did so. Smile
As a disclaimer, your results may vary, but I am planning on buying another set of those as one blocked when the car sat for ages.

MisterGTR in case you didn't know this you also have heated wingmirrors that may or may not work!

Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 15:13
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #46
MisterGTR wrote:

Good points:

The car (need to come up with a name) has only being doing 3000 miles per year according to the MOT checks.
The car kept up with traffic all the way home on one tank of fuel getting around 35mpg which i thought was very good.
The acceleration in 4th at motorway speeds is very good (remember i'm used to over 3 times the power!)

Bad points:
Alloys
Air Con
Funny smell in car.

I haven't had a chance to look the car over properly (i know i'm supposed to do that before buying it but i had service, mot, timing belt/water pump changed) but it's got all keys and bits from a well looked after car.

eg Brakes, suspension, strut brace 16" wheels etc (need to do more research) If anyone wants to sell me bit.....

But overall i'm so looking forward to getting this car looking good. And i can't see me ever selling it! It's that good already!

Sounds pretty positive Ian....

I'm sure it wont be long until the little thing has you hooked! It may be getting on a bit and not be the first word in power but it certainly has the fun factor in bucketloads.

TT
Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 15:14
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #47
RetroPug wrote:
I can provide a link to VTS washer jets that are inexpensive that hit the windscreen correctly on my Ph.2 and on my Ph.1. That was after I changed the bonnet on the Ph.2 so cannot be sure if it was a Ph.2 or 3 bonnet though.

Correctly aimed Xsara jets and aero wipers will make windscreen clearing effortless!

Thanks very much for that.

Ordered Pug Wipers edit. These are wrong ones. Need 20 inches in back and 22/20 on front. Still from red line.

I'd already ordered some xsara jets (although think they may aim too low - but will give them a try first).

And i didn't know about the heated elements. It's stupid stuff like that i'll want to get working!! Amazing tech for a car of it's age. My OH's polo doesn't have anything on it! She's drove it last night and was a bit jealous!! Smile

Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 17:56
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #48
tarmac terror wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:

Good points:

Bad points:
Alloys
Air Con
Funny smell in car.

Sounds pretty positive Ian....

I'm sure it wont be long until the little thing has you hooked! It may be getting on a bit and not be the first word in power but it certainly has the fun factor in bucketloads.

TT

Yeah all good so far! And it's tons of fun to drive. Loving it lots. Gearbox oil to be ordered and will give that a go soon hopefully.

Posted 19th Aug 2014 at 15:36
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
MisterGTR wrote:
RetroPug wrote:

Ordered Pug Wipers edit. These are wrong ones. Need 20 inches in back and 22/20 on front. Still from red line.

I'd already ordered some xsara jets (although think they may aim too low - but will give them a try first).

And i didn't know about the heated elements. It's stupid stuff like that i'll want to get working!! Amazing tech for a car of it's age. My OH's polo doesn't have anything on it! She's drove it last night and was a bit jealous!! Smile

Yes it is very well kitted-out. I used to have a diablo ph.2 just like yours, now I have a ph.1 which doesn't have any of it. Sad I particularly miss the auto wipers and aircon.

Press the screen defrost button on the dash and wait and see if the mirrors heat up like the rear screen. If they don't, there are two wires to the back of the glass which can be snapped, or the heating element is corroded and you simply need to replace the glass for another heated one. There is a small chance it could be the door loom having a snapped wire too.

Sorry about the wrong wipers. I have the set I linked and they are fine.

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 05:59
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #50
RetroPug wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:
RetroPug wrote:

Yes it is very well kitted-out. I used to have a diablo ph.2 just like yours, now I have a ph.1 which doesn't have any of it. Sad I particularly miss the auto wipers and aircon.

Press the screen defrost button on the dash and wait and see if the mirrors heat up like the rear screen. If they don't, there are two wires to the back of the glass which can be snapped, or the heating element is corroded and you simply need to replace the glass for another heated one. There is a small chance it could be the door loom having a snapped wire too.

Sorry about the wrong wipers. I have the set I linked and they are fine.

No worries about wipers. I need to remember that there are quite a few different versions of the cars! Actually the wipers on the front are both 20" and so short on the drivers side. I would never have known that without your link. So thanks.

I'll check the mirrors later - Ta. I'm guessing the hardcore on here will be laughing that i'm interested in the creature comforts.

Had it's first commute into work today. Only 15 min drive so doesn't get properly warmed up. And not much chance to give it beans - but then i wouldn't without the oil and water temps getting up. Only issues the steering seems a little heavy - need to look into that. And the gearbox a bit notchy (will change the oil and reasses).

Here is a video of engine on idle. http://youtu.be/sS2SdsCINaM
Sounds fine while driving. But really need to find another car to compare to mine. Eg The weight of the steering and the sounds from the gearbox/engine etc. And generally the feel of the car.

Also really need to change the steering wheel. Too thin for my liking. The list of things i want to do is growing! Smile Time is the only factor....especially with the OH non plussed about the attention i'm giving the car!

Posted 20th Aug 2014 at 11:06

Pages (7): 1 [2] 3 .. last