displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Airbag wiring removal
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I'm pulling both seats and steering wheel out (putting buckets and race wheel before I get any cocky replies) and I'm thinking I might as well remove all the wiring

How do I go about it and once I've removed it how do I stop the airbag light from showing?

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2014 at 16:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
Pull the bulb out Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th May 2014 at 16:51
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
welshpug! wrote:

On my MOT they said the Light in the New rules has to show before it goes out ???

I bought a resister/fuse wire lead off a guy on EBay who makes them Thumbs up

He used to be on here I'm told ?
Under a fiver delivered & push fit with fuse !!!
Posted 19th May 2014 at 16:57
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yeah but since I'm stripping it all out I want to take out all the wiring. Is there a control box for it as well? Less weight!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2014 at 17:20
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Control box is in front of the gear stick under the centre console.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 19th May 2014 at 17:24
devere

Senior User

Post #6
Day666 wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

On my MOT they said the Light in the New rules has to show before it goes out ???

You don't need a light for something that isn't there... If they test an old motor they don't look for an engine management light do they? !
Posted 19th May 2014 at 17:32
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
devere wrote:
Day666 wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

You don't need a light for something that isn't there... If they test an old motor they don't look for an engine management light do they? !

I'm not 100% sure ....but old cars that don't have them or never have.... is fine !!!
If your car has had or should have ...will that be different ?.....I'm not sure ?

I would defo find out first .!!!!
If a Car had a Cat & you took it off & it passed emissions ...would you still need one ?????......Anybody know 100% Whistle

Just found this !!!!wee mac wrote:
you could do it the proper way and put in a resistor or you could do it the cowboy way and take the LED out...

But as the VOSA states

VOSA - MOT Inspection Manual wrote:
check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and not obviously defective.

So it would mean having to put the old seats back in and removing the resistor every year for the MOT
vorsa also states that if a car has been modified to such an extent, some of the critierior (such as having standard airbag) doesnt apply. my car will have two bucket seats, rollcage (as long as it gets delivered in time), harnesses, strut brace, steering wheel. therefore they mot it under track car rules. but only problem is that even in track cars you cant have light on dash im not going to remove the led, im going to cover it with black tape for the

Hope that helps Thumbs up

Posted 19th May 2014 at 18:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
if its obvious that the car is modified for a specific purpose, i.e its a rally car, then stuff like removed Airbag systems, Fixed bucket seats etc are allowed.

As for the CAT, if its post 92/3 and it was built with one it has to stay now, they have changed the rules on that but yes in theory you used to be able to get a car through an MOT without a cat IF it still passed the emissions test.

the airbag wiring is pretty much all self contained orange cabling, so pretty easy to trip out and pop the bulb out.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th May 2014 at 18:46
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
if its obvious that the car is modified for a specific purpose, i.e its a rally car, then stuff like removed Airbag systems, Fixed bucket seats etc are allowed.

As for the CAT, if its post 92/3 and it was built with one it has to stay now, they have changed the rules on that but yes in theory you used to be able to get a car through an MOT without a cat IF it still passed the emissions test.

the airbag wiring is pretty much all self contained orange cabling, so pretty easy to trip out and pop the bulb out.

That's the answer I was looking for. I'll have my snips out on the weekend then!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2014 at 19:05