displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: largest energy density battery?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
to cut a long story short its for my electric bike..

since a recent upgrade (500W DC-DC STEP UP BOOST BOX) my torque has quadrupled but my battery life has been reduced to 20mins :S

im currently using a 12v 26Ah SLA battery from a golf caddy. it weighs just under 10kg

whats peculiar is after my battery appears dead (motor pulses off/on judders and the electric boost box whines) the battery still reads a good 12.5 -13V

the boost box has a cut of voltage of 10.5v which makes me think, my battery cant provide a full/steady current /voltage past half capacity. this is also seems backed up by the fact my charger tells me im only putting around 12Ah back into it with each charge.

i overestimate i will need at least a 30Ah battery that will provide a solid 60amps at above 10.5v continuous
would be nice if it weighed less than 10kgs aswell

so can i have some suggestions please with links ect..... im think lipo or lifepo4 possibly anything else but im not finding a cheap/viable enough supplier.

thanks in advance
jim

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 23rd Mar 2014 at 15:19
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
It's going to have to be lipo/lifepo4 or some sort of NiMH, you can't draw that sort of discharge current from a lead acid over that amount without severely dropping the voltage/capacity, as you've found out.

You're discharging at over 3C, and a lead acid battery is rated for capacity at about 0.05C....

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 11:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
only 12v?

got bikes at work running 36v.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 11:36
rikky 🦔

Post #4
just by reading the thread title i knew who had posted it

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 11:57
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Haha

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 25th Mar 2014 at 10:00
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
12v battery in conjuntion with a 500watt (800w peak) 12- 24v dc-dc step up transformer.

i can either have as above one battery and a small box (which has low voltage battery protection built into it) to get a higher voltage.

or two batteries. at twice the weight/cost with no low voltage battery protection.

ive seen these lipo 12v(10C)10.000mah bateries on ebay, micro mars or some other generic cheap chinese make. that seem viable. two of them at 1kg each and wired in parralel should give me a total 20Ah and a 200amps continuous discharge.

let me know if you find anythign as good

Posted 25th Mar 2014 at 20:16
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Why don't you just catch the bus?

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 25th Mar 2014 at 20:39
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
Or buy a scooter? It will go further, faster for far less f**king around. Just a thought.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 25th Mar 2014 at 21:23
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
i have a car, id rather walk than catch a bus again.

ive had scooters and mini motos and pit bikes and scramblers.

and yes due to their wide spread availablity its technically less hassle to get up and running. but i dont have a bike license and anything petrol powered needs a license, also most petrol powered things attract the wrong attention (police) because there so damn noisey.

we had a farmer on our side till po po runined it for us so now i have nowhere to go.

50cc-125cc (sounding like a bumble bee in a tin can).......just doesnt cut the mustard for me...and the fact id need and MOT tax and insurance just makes me hate the man even more

im drawn to electric. its clean, quiet, simple. plus i can charge it for completely free from the solar panels on my roof!!!

the only people i have batting an eyelid at me on public roads are the cars and other cyclists (love showing up racing bikes) i overtake.

im also gambling on.......what this thread is about. appearing in the near-ish future
imagine if they invent a battery the same size and weight at my current one with ten times the energy density.

to upgrade my bike id simply need to plug it in. upgrades on internal combustion are far more complicated.

Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 15:56