displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Ex Spoox 8v turbo GTi6
xav

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
may as well start a project thread with this now

after owning my 106 quiksilver for over 3 years now since i passed my test its getting scrapped and this will be taking its place

its a 99 S reg and was previously owned/maintained by spoox motorsport, then at some point chris davidson with the red rallye for parts for his track car. i got a hold of it a few months ago after buying a 2.0 8v turbo engine from someone who knew the owner. its a bit of a slut up here as chris and a load of his mates have all had a fiddle with it at some point lol.

first thing i did was rebuild the head and replace the stem seals and the cam and crank seals, belt and pump and head gasket

pretty much the moment i torqued up the head bolts, that wonderful wee geordie bloke we all know and hate for making these cars rarer and rarer decided hes breaking his 205 turbo so now im sat here with an engine i want rid in favour of a better one. a few texts later and the little man from england-land shows up at the garage with a wee present just for me Smile

ive since fitted my turbo from the old engine, a few pipes, and my dump valve and my new err.... air filter

another few phone calls and texts and i have a buyer for the old engine. grant who dropped the car off who had a long history with the car and engine! hes no stranger to boosted pugs and 8v turbo conversions and is helping me out with wiring it in. i was also told that the fuel pump in this car was from an impreza STi. according to grant, it managed 220hp on the rollers before it was stripped. he was so kind as to leaving these behind when he came to get the old engine

rebuilt track axle down 40mm with thicker bars and new bearings all round. ill be fitting my drilled and grooved discs from the 106 and ordering solid mounts for it when the cars built

today i set about doing the engine bay. when i first got it i stupidly undersealed everything in sight without priming anything so had to remove it all and start again. dont do cars whilst hungover! ive since cleaned up the bay and have primed half of it. its not the prettiest job but its durable which is what im after. itll eventually end up black with some red tarty bits here and there

so as it stands just now, the spec:

605 2.0 8v turbo engine
T25 turbo
205 GTi inlet and 1.9 camshaft
Bailey dump valve
WRX STi Walbro fuel pump
Large front mount intercooler
Mocal oil cooler
Custom 3" stainless straight centre section
3" Magnex backbox
Manual boost controller
Adjustable FPR
GTi6 gearbox with standard LUK clutch
TA technix coilovers

more to come. should be running around 210hp as it stands just now. more if that bas**rd ecu could be remapped!!

eventually ill invest in stand alone management with loom to match, bigger turbo, injectors and external wastegate as the ultimate goal which should see me good for 250+

did ye aye?

Ex Spoox/Trac Prep GTi6 16v turbo - the money pit
Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 21:46
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Good going mate. If your going to push for 250bhp you may wat to get yoursef some 440cc injectors.
Come on get your finger out and get that engine in.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 22:11
xav

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
thats the plan son! ive got a s**t load to buy yet before im anywhere near dropping it in

did ye aye?

Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 22:17
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Well I still have that external wastgate, screamer and TD04 turbo here if you need then Wink

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 22:21
xav

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
dont you dare!! youve had enough money off me in the past year haha

remember you assembled this engine. ill have to spend a fortune when it breaks (which it will) very soon!!

did ye aye?

Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 22:50
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Great project! What are the long term plans. keeping it as a road car or going for track work?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 23:00
xav

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
eventually full on track. for the next year or so, itll be a quick daily runner i can keep adding to

did ye aye?

Posted 19th Jan 2014 at 23:39
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Everyone loves a screamer pipe. Oh no, they don't! LOL

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"