displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Dynamic camber etc
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I'm not mega interested in running more than 1.5 degrees static camber on my car. It's mostly road, but ideally I'd like it to not completely kill its tyres on track. It's going to be about 45mm lower than standard with very slight toe in. Any idea what would be decent castor setting to achieve some sort of dynamic camber on these macp struts? Will it need roll-centre adjustment too?

Spring rates won't be mega stiff, 21s rear about 280 front depending on what engine I use.

Cheers

Nothing to see here
Posted 30th Dec 2013 at 23:36
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
PS I drove a 205 once with 2.5 degrees static as a road car. Nasty on the brakes and initial turn in on the road. Great on track though! Argh!

Nothing to see here
Posted 30th Dec 2013 at 23:38
devere

Senior User

Post #3
Well my rally car does mainly tarmac roads. So to account for the camber aided from the drop to the roadside, I run no more than 1.5 degrees camber. Anything between 1 and 1.5 really is what I go. But then il run between 4 to 7 degrees of castor. Although when you get towards 7 you need to cut the wings down and a good chunk off the front bumper as the wheels are a lot further forward....
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 00:08
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
How are you achieving that?

Nothing to see here
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 00:29
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It's always a trade off unfortunately Adam, I'd say -1.5 as a maximum for road use though, you'll still scrub the inside off first at that mind.
As far as castor goes, just get as much as possible! As devere says you're fairly limited anyway, it's all useful though.
What engine are you thinking of using? 280lb springs is fairly stiff for 21mm bars. Or are you using a mammoth rear arb too?

Edit: as Adam asks, how are you getting the castor devere?

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 00:36
devere

Senior User

Post #6
I suppose depending on what your setup is that could be the problem. I use fixed position top mounts, but the strut top is offset to the rear. Then I have tubular wishbones. Camber is dialled in moving the bottom ball joint out. Whereas the castor is adjusted at the rear mount point.

Moving the strut top back helps with that to a point.

I imagine the scope for big changes is limited with a standard wishbone.
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 00:39
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Thanks guys - I will be looking into this further in a couple of months when everything else is sorted out. I have a lot to sort out before I have a chance to concentrate on this side of the car.

Nothing to see here
Posted 1st Jan 2014 at 16:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
If you're running the front camber at that you probably can't get enough castor on to go too far with it anyway, When I had mine where I wanted it for road use I was scrubbing the front of the arches.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 2nd Jan 2014 at 17:18
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
On 145 tyres as well Phil? Cripes...

Nothing to see here
Posted 2nd Jan 2014 at 18:04