displaying posts 26 to 50 of 50

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: blower stopped? SOLVED
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Erm ok that was a quick fix. Simply put the connector just wasnt doing its job properly. After a bit of tweaking the fan sprung back to life. ..

Then I gave it a damn good thrashingLOL

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 21:00
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Right this has started playing up again. Im not entirely sure if its just the connector block making a poor connection or the control panel is the problem.

A few days ago when it stopped I didnt actually do anything, it just started working again. I wiggled the connector block and it started cutting out and in. So I fiddled with the metal clips and its just been dead since.

are the block connectors renowned for being finicky? The clips in the block certainly look strange. Maybe when I took it apart to try and improve the connection I actually made it worse?

Or is it this control panel feed causing the problem? Can anyone confirm exactly what voltage this should be from off to fully on?

Also if it is the feed can I just bridge the live onto the feed to at least have a fan on because its s**t in the cabin with steamy windows.

Posted 23rd Dec 2013 at 23:22
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #28
Are the pins all pushed fully home in the plastic connector? They have a barb on them and if it's been tickled with feet over the years they may not all be making contact. You could unclip the connector and pull the pins out and slide them into the fan as a temporary measure.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 23rd Dec 2013 at 23:34
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
    Yeah im thinking I might give that a go. At least I can then prove its not a connection problem.

Jeez this rain. Not a chance to do a god damn thing. Its been raining for what seems like ages. Ive have a top engine mount I need to fit too but theres just no let up of this s**t weather

Posted 23rd Dec 2013 at 23:37
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
    Yeah its pushed all the way home, Dan. Im thinking maybe its just been disturbed by me a few to many times over the years. I have played with it quite a bit.

Posted 23rd Dec 2013 at 23:39
    bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
    Get some contact cleaner on the plug dude then plug it in and unplug it a few times
    Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 00:09
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
    bigbadbowen wrote:
    Get some contact cleaner on the plug dude then plug it in and unplug it a few times

cheers, Chris. I'll give it a go. I hope it is just this. Ot that changing the panel is beyond me, I just hate working in this rubbish weather.

Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 00:14
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
    well went out and played with the connectors earlier. Definetly 12v there. Between off and fully on the feed lead gives between 0.79v and 4.44v. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Tried bridging the live onto the feed on my old fan unit which did absolutely nothing.

So im officially without a fan in the car so any further help would be appreciated.

Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 16:27
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
    Several things it could be. One being the pins in the plug are not making a good connection. I would suggest taking the pins out of the plug and then closing them up a bit with a pair of pliers and give that a go. Other thing is it could be a damaged cable near where it goes into the motor. If i remember rightly, there is a fairly big bend on the cable where it goes into the motor and as said before, if its been kicked about over the years, its more than possible that its been damaged just enough to cause your issues.
    Last thing i can think of at the moment is a dodgy relay. If i remember rightly, there is 2 that are used for the fans so it may be that when you swapped them around, you just swapped the bad one with another one for the fans. Ive got several here that your welcome to have if you want to come by one day and collect them. Lastly could well be the control unit its self. The one that was on my GTi when i got it was f**ked and it used to just randomly put the fans on full speed for a few seconds. New unit fixed this. Again, I've got a spare one here if you want it for a beer token or two.
    Posted 25th Dec 2013 at 10:16
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #35
    Hmm

I don't think damaged wiring is the cause Niall, as he says he has 12v at the connector. It does indeed seem strange that you seem to have power there but when connected to the motor itself it fails to start.

I know you said the motor is fairly new, but it does point to the motor being dodgy and refusing to turn despite being fed power. Dunno

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 25th Dec 2013 at 10:53
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    Hmm

I don't think damaged wiring is the cause Niall, as he says he has 12v at the connector. It does indeed seem strange that you seem to have power there but when connected to the motor itself it fails to start.

I know you said the motor is fairly new, but it does point to the motor being dodgy and refusing to turn despite being fed power. Dunno

Yeah but he's unplugging the plug to find out if he has voltage which means bending the wiring. If he probed the plug when it was plugged in he might find no voltage.
    As you say though, it does sound like a bad motor. Just because its new doesn't mean it will work. I seem to get out of box failures at work all the time lol.
    Posted 25th Dec 2013 at 11:13
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    I know you said the motor is fairly new, but it does point to the motor being dodgy and refusing to turn despite being fed power.

Ive tried the old fan unit which was working when it was removed (squeeky bearing) and this doesnt operate either.

niall wrote:
    One being the pins in the plug are not making a good connection. I would suggest taking the pins out of the plug and then closing them up a bit with a pair of pliers and give that a go.

Already tried this, I also tried running the fan with the metal clips attached but without the plastic block and manipulating by hand to instigate a decent connection. Still no fan movement.

niall wrote:
    Yeah but he's unplugging the plug to find out if he has voltage which means bending the wiring. If he probed the plug when it was plugged in he might find no voltage.

I did consider this and tried moving the wiring with the multi meter attached and didnt see any drop.

I will say though I have probed the block connector whilst its in place and got a bad result a few times so i will check this again so I can be 100% sure.

Although saying that ive bent the wire the opposite way to get the multimeter on and got 12 volts, moved the wiring around with the probes in contact and seen no drop, then plugged in the old fan unit. That didnt move either.Dunno

Posted 25th Dec 2013 at 17:58
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
    Ok been out and had a play with this earlier. When I put the multi meter on the positive and negative leads with it disconnected I was getting 10 volts with the engine off but when I reconnected the block connector to both the new and old fans I was getting 2.2 volts on both at positive and negative?

Should this happen?

Posted 30th Dec 2013 at 15:20
    poogiepug1

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
    Mine is doing the same thing but when the blowers dont work neither does the lights on the air con button. Had a wiggle and seemed to be a bad connection but now that does not even work. If you do work it out let me know. I will also try all the above suggestions

Posted 1st Jan 2014 at 23:31
    poogiepug1

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
    Mine is doing the same thing but when the blowers dont work neither does the lights on the air con button. Had a wiggle and seemed to be a bad connection but now that does not even work. If you do work it out let me know. I will also try all the above suggestions

Posted 1st Jan 2014 at 23:48
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #41
    Michelle, if yours is doing the same thing and has no AC light when the fault occurs, yours will be a knackered relay. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 2nd Jan 2014 at 08:16
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
    Looking like im taking this to an auto electrician then.

Posted 2nd Jan 2014 at 17:41
    poogiepug1

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
    Thanks stan :-)

Posted 3rd Jan 2014 at 00:52
    aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
    Exactly what stain said michelle.

Darkgti6, be sure to post the results on here. It'll be interesting to hear about the end result.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 4th Jan 2014 at 23:08
    poogiepug1

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
    Mines sorted. Thanks stan and good luck dark

Posted 8th Jan 2014 at 21:46
    poogiepug1

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
    Mines sorted. Thanks stan and good luck dark

Posted 8th Jan 2014 at 21:55
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #47
    Glad you got it sorted. Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 8th Jan 2014 at 22:13
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
    Went to an auto electrician today who diagnosed the problem in about 10 mins and only charged me a few beer tokens.

Turns out my problem was a poor earth so instead of tracing the original behind the dash I'll just solder a new lead onto the visible cable and route it to a known existing earth. Probably the earth in the drivers side footwell unless anything else crops up.

The guys name is Phil James (website clicky). Nice chap and definitely knows his stuff when it comes to auto electrics.

Posted 9th Jan 2014 at 21:50
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #49
    Excellent - glad we've got a successful conclusion to this. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 9th Jan 2014 at 21:56
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
    Hallelujah

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 00:41

Pages (2): 1 [2]