displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: weird engine behaviour
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Went shopping earlier and had a nice long drive before I reached my destination and the engine was running fine. Stopped of did some shopping and when I got back and tried to set off it kept on stalling and wouldn't idle. Then it went through a period of not starting and eventually when it did the idle was very slow and weak almost none existent. I managed to keep it running by applying throttle to keep the revs up. Managed to get to a motorway to go home and it was down on power. Sometimes when I accelerated it would start to judder. At other times it just felt like it was about to run out of fuel or something like it would hesitate and lunge when I went on and off the throttle. This is the only symptom that remains because its starting and idling now.

Anyone got and ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks, Chris.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 15:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Throttle pot is the usual one - if the reading is erratic around idle it sometimes makes the ICV go a bit mental, and the tip in and tip out for the fuelling suffers, so stumbles and jumps in anything but steady state driving.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 16:01
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Could also be the engine temp sensor. Check it with a multimeter and also check its plugged in properly.
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 19:08
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Cheers guys I will do. Funnily enough I think it might be something as small as a dodgy bit of fuel. I put 20 quids worth of unleaded from texaco in before I parked up to go shopping. It was shortly after this it started to play up. Diluted it with 30 quids worth of v power and it seems to have cured it flr now.

Still I will investigate the throttle position sensor as a possible culprit for my starting issue. Its been doing it for years now. Sometimes it starts first time sometimes not. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold. If you crank it over and it doesnt fire it never will fire no matter how long you crank for. You have to stop and start cranking again for any chance of it firing. Sometimes it takes a few trys but it always starts in the end

Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 19:46
pete-gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Lamba, best bet is to get it pluged in, could guess all day
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 20:09
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
pete-gti wrote:
Lamba, best bet is to get it plunged in, could guess all day

Cheers pete

Lambda is on 20k so within service life really. Yes I must get a diagnostic done. Ive been toying with the idea of buying the gear and software so I can do it myself.

Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 20:07
pete-gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
My lamb a failed after 3 years, had only done about 15k
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 20:11
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
darkgti6 wrote:
pete-gti wrote:
Lamba, best bet is to get it plunged in, could guess all day

Cheers pete

Lambda is on 20k so within service life really. Yes I must get a diagnostic done. Ive been toying with the idea of buying the gear and software so I can do it myself.

If your in Bracknell, your welcome to drive to me in Epsom (30ish miles?) and plug it into my peugeot planet. Might also be tempted to sell it as well seeing as I'm not king to have much use for it once i fit my omex.
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 20:25
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Nice one niall. I will take you up on that. I'll pm you tomorrow after work Smile

Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 21:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Lamda shouldn't affect starting, it doesn't even affect the fuelling until it warms up. TPS or map sensor would, as it could pile a load of fuel in if the load is report wrong, then it will flood and not start.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 25th Nov 2013 at 00:16
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
phillipm wrote:
Lamda shouldn't affect starting, it doesn't even affect the fuelling until it warms up. TPS or map sensor would, as it could pile a load of fuel in if the load is report wrong, then it will flood and not start.

Thanks phil,

Will see about getting a diagnostic done and see what it brings up. The car has been running fine after putting 30 quids worth of v power in to dilute that texaco rubbish. Will avoid they're stations in future. The MAP sensor ive changed before to try and cure something else. Of the top of my head I would think its done around 70k now so could be getting tired.

Other symptoms ive been getting is when I crank over and it doesn't fire when I stop cranking ive been getting popping sounds in the exhaust so it could well be a fuelling issue.

Chris.

Posted 25th Nov 2013 at 09:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
If it does that, quickly nip around and unplug the injectors, then crank it with the throttle wide open and see if it splutters and fires - you know it's flooding then.

Email me!
Posted 25th Nov 2013 at 12:23
mrdeey

Regular

Post #13
Change the crank sensor , I recon it's failing , on top of the gearbox bit fiddly but cured the symptoms I had symilar to yours

now new booted , boosted and flying again!
Posted 27th Nov 2013 at 23:22
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
mrdeey wrote:
Change the crank sensor , I recon it's failing , on top of the gearbox bit fiddly but cured the symptoms I had symilar to yours

Na done this already. Didnt mame the slightest bit of difference.

Posted 7th Dec 2013 at 08:12
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Was awful this morning. Didnt think it was gonna start at all. Went after about 5 mins of trying. Late to work. Still trying to find someone to do a diagnostic for me.

Posted 7th Dec 2013 at 08:14