displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: any advice on a 206 hdi starting
whibley

Junior User

Post #1
Hi,
I brought a 206 hdi 2l few weeks back for a second car and the bloody thing will not start up in the morning, swapped heater, plugs battery ( because halfords said it was crap) and I have aslo swapped the fuel pump really and still won't start but will of a bump, the only thing I have noticed the new battery is 470 amps and the old one was 490 would that be enough to cuase the problem

Thanks in advance jase
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 11:02
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
470 is the CCA (cold-cranking amps), which is a measure of how many amps the battery is rated at at a certain cold temperature (I forget which). If it is a new, non-shagged battery that won't be what is causing the issue.

Perhaps describing what happens when you try to start it will help to diagnose the issue.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 13:03
whibley

Junior User

Post #3
Its will turn over for about 10 mins before the battery will eventually go flat its just seems as if it just about to fire but nothing at all
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 13:09
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Does it turn over ok ? If it runs ok off a bump I'd assume starter motor
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 13:09
whibley

Junior User

Post #5
Yeh seems to turn over ok, bumps fine and same of a jump pack, its starts a day after I give it a decent run then the next day it won't it just keeps turning over
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 13:17
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #6
Does it smoke alot when it eventually starts? if it does I'd check your getting feed to the glow plugs and also check the glow plugs work too.(put a continuity test through them).

If there's not too much smoke i'd check for fuel leaks which can let air into the system also making it hard to start.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 16:00
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I'd go with the above that you have air in the fuel somewhere, I've had this before on a diesel and it does exactly what you are describing.

Is there any way to manually prime the fuel system on these? If there is try that and see if it'll start easier, if it will you've found your problem.

Ryan
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 16:46
whibley

Junior User

Post #8
It doesn't smoke that bad when it starts I will check for fuel leaks and hope its that
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 16:31
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
hdi's dont suffer from air in the fuel as they run a pump in the tank which pushes the fuel
not like the old mechanical pumped diesels that suck the fuel from the tank

if it bumps and starts i would go for a lazy starter motor/under rated battery-poor battery /weak tank fuel pump/ poor earths

Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 16:42