displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Richies Rallye Massive Rebuild
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Many of you recognise my Rallye documented through this previous thread:
Old thread

I've decided to start a new project thread as this car will be taken off of the road over winter to work from the front to the back stripping as much as possible and cleaning the chassis down so there is no rust.
This means taking the following off:

Engine out
Master brake cylinder
Brake lines
Fuel lines
Wings
Fuel tank
Rear beam
Etc.....

But of course, I need a work horse/runaround for work.... I pickup a car at the end of this week so hang fire to find out what it is!!! Thumbs up

Note: this will be a long thread Wink

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 08:35
rikky 🦔

Post #2
i would think about sandblasting the engine bay if you are serious about derusting it cos it works wonders, after a 150º steam cleaner on it Yes

before
after

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 09:33
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Excellent! I would love to do this to my Rallye one day!

Do you have a budget/schedule?

Just Drive It
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 09:33
doon1988

Regular

Post #4
rikky wrote:
i would think about sandblasting the engine bay if you are serious about derusting it cos it works wonders, after a 150º steam cleaner on it Yes

before
after

To those that are not able to do this themselves do you know roughly how much something like this would cost to have done at a garage? Starting to find the odd bit of rust on mine... Nothing major at the moment but.....
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 10:10
rikky 🦔

Post #5
it means a complete strip down, it's not actually that dear it's just very messy and noisy so if you can get your car stripped and taken somewhere to where they do it it'll be around £100-150 i imagine, but you really need to properly strip it cos the sandblasting will go through most things eg wiring, cables, any plastics... do it at workshop on mates coach rebuilds and aside from being noisy and messy its generally the fastest way of getting all the pitted bits and rust blasted off, you might find more areas though which need welding up though after you expose all the shell

i've had good results just getting the car stripped and then liberally applying TFR and hotwashing it off, but still needs all the old paint taking off and keying for new paintwork

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 10:27
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If you have a big air compressor just buy a blaster and do it your self, that's what I did with the dimma
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 11:33
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Good news Rich, look forward to seeing it progress. My car is now in winter routine, i.e. hibernating having been SORNed. Plans before spring include fitting a refurbed leather interior and a couple of other bits. Definitely worth it I reckon. I saw an article in a Car Mechanics mag about likelihood of cars rusting. The 306 and other similar-era Pugs were praised as being amongst the most rust resistant - poor performers included a lot of Mercedes from the late 90s-on and the BMW E46 3-series.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 18:19
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Test drove the work horse tonight... Any guesses to what I'm getting?
Ollie, can I borrow your compressor to sand blast at one point please?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 20:56
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
mik wrote:
Good news Rich, look forward to seeing it progress. My car is now in winter routine, i.e. hibernating having been SORNed. Plans before spring include fitting a refurbed leather interior and a couple of other bits. Definitely worth it I reckon. I saw an article in a Car Mechanics mag about likelihood of cars rusting. The 306 and other similar-era Pugs were praised as being amongst the most rust resistant - poor performers included a lot of Mercedes from the late 90s-on and the BMW E46 3-series.

A lot of work will be going into her compared to the last time I partially stripped her down.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 19th Nov 2013 at 21:10
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Sorry bud mine is hard wired in and a bench built round it as it's a 150l one
Posted 20th Nov 2013 at 17:11
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Right it's about time I gave you all an update!

Here is the Rallye after her final nice clean... Before she is stripped down.

And whilst this Rallye is off the road, I have this 306 Dturbo to run around in!

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 23rd Nov 2013 at 20:43
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Your old thread is what I would do if I had the patience, I've started on mine and now I really don't want to do the engine bay. It's going to be a nightmare.

Don't fancy stripping another car whilst your there... LOL

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 21:48
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Hahaha, well I've got to start over again, thankfully I have the time to do it so it'll be nice to sort it out properly this time!
Find the motivation dude :p you'll crack it. The engine bay isn't so daunting as it seems!

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 22:34
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I'm rebuilding an engine as we speak which is going to go. I'm gonna pull the old and then clean the bay and bang the new engine in. Might wait until the new year, I can't get my car in the garage due to the massive amount of s**t I keep so it'll be done under a gazebo. It's not ideal but it's worked so far

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 24th Nov 2013 at 22:58
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
I'm rebuilding an engine as we speak which is going to go. I'm gonna pull the old and then clean the bay and bang the new engine in. Might wait until the new year, I can't get my car in the garage due to the massive amount of s**t I keep so it'll be done under a gazebo. It's not ideal but it's worked so far

When you do take the old one out, you'll find it hard to clean up the brake servo, because of its shape you don't have a lot of room to get to the rust. Probably best to remove it

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 25th Nov 2013 at 08:00