displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Brake pads / Endurance racing
Jopeti

Post #1
Hi mates!

There are many topics about track days / brake pads, but I feel this isn't quite same thing so I started this new one.
I am competing in Finnish Endurance class with my VTS Xsara. Races last from 3 to 6 hours, and they are driven in asphalt tracks. The class uses one type tire, which is Hankook R-S2 in size 205/50R15.
I am using 4-pot Brembos out of 406 Coupe, with Xantia 288x28 discs.

It has become obvious that OEM type or cheap spare part pads don't last even nearly enough.
Though stopping power is decent, they only last for 2 hours, which of course we can't tolerate.

Many teams in our series use Ferodo's products. Lighter cars (such as Civic's) use DS2500 pads in front and heavier cars (E36 323 BMW's etc) use DS3000 compound. Figures in Ferodo Racings sites show that after reaching ~250*c DS3000 really performs better than DS2500. We have measured temperatures over 270*c in pit stop, so that 250*c should not be a problem. Do you guys have experience about DS3000 wear on heavy duty use? What about their wear compared to DS2500? If DS2500 would wear much slower, and it would not be much worse than DS3000 when heated up - we would use it.

Then we come to other brands, such as Pagid and CL etc. They aren't that familiar in Finland, so I'd very much like to hear your experience about their racing / endurance products.
DS3000's seem to cost ~150£. Our budget is max 200£ / pads.

www.facebook.com/VTSracingteam
Posted 13th Oct 2013 at 20:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
At high temperatures DS3000 should wear better than 2500, however, there is a DS3000E compound specifically for endurance use - although I've never used it personally.

Both Carbotech XP8 and Pagid RS15 last well, although CT now offer an endurance version of XP8 in RP2 as well, again, haven't tried that yet but both XP8 and RS15 are similar to DS3000 but better wearing.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 13th Oct 2013 at 21:12
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I'm currently using Carbotech XP8's on my track car, i've not done any endurance type driving in it but i've been very impressed with the braking and lack of pad wear.

I wasn't too impressed with my old DS2500's for trackdays in standard calipers, i found they tended to melt onto the discs and feel like the discs had warped.

My pads were a little over the £200 mark from memory but i had one-off special size pads made, so that bumped up the price a little over a regular pad profile backplate being needed. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Oct 2013 at 22:20