displaying posts 1 to 25 of 29

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: What is legal and better
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #1
Hello guys, just want to personalise the pug, saw some xenon ice blue bulbs, they do a 55w and also 100w which will be better and legal don't want to blind ppl or cause then grief also don't want to run in with law cheers guys
Posted 4th Oct 2013 at 23:07
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
With 100w, you may need to up the standard of wiring on the loom as the standard loom is not designed to run that kind of power.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 07:36
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Actually 100w bulbs arent legal but no one will know or question it! You will need to uprate the wiring back to the relay for the lights and may also suffer from melting head lights lol
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 13:13
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
HID them job done.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 13:16
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Hid definitley not legal tho!

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 13:21
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
Hid definitley not legal tho!

This
Not to mention they really dont work that well in the standard 306 headlights.
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 13:24
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Some have them on a 205 using uprated loom, so im not sure the are illegal.

Best thing to do is get better glasses with the high rating standard bulbs off ebay job done.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 13:33
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
HID definitely not legal unless fitted as OE and have headlight levelling/washing. Why do people insist that they *think* things are legal when they just aren't? Plenty of publicly available official information on all this stuff. Gone though this sooooooo many times before <yawn>. You can see a mile off cars with HID fitted to lights that weren't designed for them. Looks stupid and tryhard. Why bother fitting cr@p like that as the P3 factory headlights are actually quite good?

100w bulbs are definitely not legal for road use. As stated the factory loom is not thick enough gauge wire to handle 30% extra current (26 amps up from 19 amps) especially after 12 years of deterioration. Too much resistance in thin 12 year old wires with dirty contacts causes overheating of the loom, and modern all-plastic light units are not designed for the extra heat. But by all means fit them if you want to have a nice flickery yellow-ish light as your car goes up in flames in an electrical fire.

After 12 years use the thin factory wires upgraded using relays and heavy gauge wire and better earths would improve even factory light output significantly. Best real world solution would be upgraded loom with relays with quality white light bulbs by Osram etc in original 55/60w wattage. The P3 Valeo lights are well-designed (unsurprising as Valeo has a longstanding good reputation for good light design) and much better than the headlights on my wife's 08-reg Focus.

This is a page on uprating the loom on a VW Corrado, but the principle is the same. Note he was losing 2 volts at the headlight end before uprating it. An extra 2volts will make even standard lights much brighter.

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/headlight_loom_uprating.html

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:27
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #9
Besides, messing around with bulbs etc is so 2001. Personalise your car with other more modern things like having a big Pioneer sticker in your back window or some tri spoke alloys and maybe some under car lighting.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:39
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
From my experience as a passenger in a car with non standard HID's, i wasn't impressed. The light glares more rather than a direct beam. You can tell when a car has HID's and so can the po-po. I would say get the best 'off the shelf' ice white type bulbs. They should be better than standards and wont get too much unwanted attention. Thumbs up

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:45
spike_uk06

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Mine are great with some Halfrauds blubs in them, the more expensive ones ( I know...I was bought them). Shine well and light the road well (Plus they have been in the car for along time), I don't see the need for annoying HID or anything else frankly. Thumbs up

Team China
Team Pirelli
Team Cracked Bumper
20th Nov 1999 she was born
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 23:27
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
These may help with uprated bulbs etc

click here

Also I have these on my 205 and they are very bright indeed, almost twice the brightness of my old bulbs that are in my other 205 V

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H1-OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-BULBS-PEUGEOT-306-2-0-S16-06-94-05-01-/171136448880?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d886f970]click here

The light and brightness are not illegal just the bits that have to go with the lights that may not go with older cars. Many people I know have fitted HID lights on older cars and don't have any problems with the police. What you have to remember is the police numbers are being lowered, so things like this are not on their priority list and tbh most don't really think about them being illegal, they are more bothered about coloured lights as they are very noticeable.

Before your post mik, no one was insisting they are totally legal, just there is a grey area like many other little things people fit and don't get bothered by them. Also if they have the correct washer leveller etc they are totally legal so yes can be done Yes

HID are s**te anyways, they are always blinding me when going over a crest of a hill, 4x4 in rear view mirrors etc etc, like these super bright lexus type indicators all should be illegal. When the sun shines on these new indicators the flash comes invisible with these modern type indicators on the front, how they got passed i'll never know, guess they didn't check them when sunlight is directly on them when flashing I guess. I know they are just to indicate but are annoying and stupid tbh.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 6th Oct 2013 at 03:07
rikky 🦔

Post #13
HID are terrible in gti6 headlights. they aren't projector lights. HID's are for projector lights, end of story - and will just scatter / glare everywhere otherwise

beez_neez_gt wrote:
HID them job done.

beez_neez_gt wrote:
HID are s**te anyways

Erm?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Oct 2013 at 12:02
doon1988

Regular

Post #14
rikky wrote:
HID are terrible in gti6 headlights. they aren't projector lights. HID's are for projector lights, end of story - and will just scatter / glare everywhere otherwise

beez_neez_gt wrote:
HID them job done.

beez_neez_gt wrote:
HID are s**te anyways

Erm?

Does this mean I will need to upgrade my lighting system for the Projector type angel eyes that I have purchased off Niall? If so any recommendations?
Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 13:54
rikky 🦔

Post #15
if they're projectors then HID's will look miles better

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 14:17
doon1988

Regular

Post #16
cheers. Will try some ultra white ones first prior to going down the HID conversion route. As mentioned above its probably very unlikely to to be something the police would pull you for on the grand scheme of things but do not really want to risk any further run ins with them until my previous ban comes off my license.

Was only for 7 days (0 points) but still is a pain when it comes to insurance.
Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 14:51
rikky 🦔

Post #17
7 day ban for what? doesn't sound very serious!

Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 15:02
doon1988

Regular

Post #18
speeding on the M1. Someone pulled out on me so I pulled out to over take. Got to about 130 whilst over taking then slowed down but police were on one of their little viewing slip roads and clocked me whilst slowing back down at 103.

7 day ban, 0 points and a total of about £250 fine including court costs.

Issue is insurance companies do it in months. so even though it was just 7 days it goes on my insurance as (up to) 1 month.
Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 15:08
sharvey44

Senior User

Post #19
doon1988 wrote:
speeding on the M1. Someone pulled out on me so I pulled out to over take. Got to about 130 whilst over taking then slowed down but police were on one of their little viewing slip roads and clocked me whilst slowing back down at 103.

Issue is insurance companies do it in months. so even though it was just 7 days it goes on my insurance as (up to) 1 month.

And you have to declare it for 5 years. PITA

Ph2.5 Nile - Slowly trying to de-East London it and restore to former glory...
Built on the 9 Febuary 1999 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Currently looking slightly molested due to some c*nt trying to get into it.. Sad

According to the forum Social Worker, because I work in IT, I am socially retarted..
Posted 12th Oct 2013 at 21:29
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
doon1988 wrote:

Got off lightly me thinks ?

I got 56 day ban and 200 bucks fine plus costs for 120 on the m3 15 years ago Whistle copper said they saw me hit the brakes and stand the car on its nose but was too late Cool

Judge wasn't so impressed No
Posted 12th Oct 2013 at 21:49
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
if you need hid bulb

GET YOUR EYES TESTED

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 1st Nov 2013 at 18:09
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
ian7675 wrote:
Besides, messing around with bulbs etc is so 2001. Personalise your car with other more modern things like having a big Pioneer sticker in your back window or some tri spoke alloys and maybe some under car lighting.

Har Har Thumbs up

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 1st Nov 2013 at 21:25
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #23
I was being serious LOL

Posted 1st Nov 2013 at 21:28
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
I'm sure you were LOL

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 1st Nov 2013 at 21:36
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #25
Back in the day of all that Max Power s**t this was my favourite car...1995.

Posted 1st Nov 2013 at 21:56

Pages (2): [1] 2