displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Timing belt query
footah212

Senior User

Post #1
I've been reading through the cam belt guides in FAQ and I'm wondering why you would slacken the cam pulley bolts when changing the belt?

I thought the idea of having the 3 timing holes was to lock everything in position so that everything is aligned properly. By slackening the cam pulley bolts , are you not allowing everything to move??

I have just been looking inlet the cam pulley from a spare cylinder head I have and noticed that the lug with the timing hole can actually turn a certain amount within the pulley. The exhaust pulley on that head has no f**king timing hole at all?

If the timing hole can move independently of the pulley then My very limited understanding of how timing holes work is now thoroughly confused. Can someone help?

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Engine crane for hire Renfrewshire
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 10:48
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The holes you pin to ensure the cams are locked do not move once the cam pulley bolts are slackened,so your cams are locked in placeThumbs up

The slight movement on the pulleys is to allow the belt to be tensioned correctly around the full run of beltWink

If your doing this job yourself do a bit more research if you don't fully understand how it works!Yes

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 11:02
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
There are two types of pulley too,early one with three bolts you slacken to allow the movement to tension belt,and later type which you need to slacken the big bolt in the centre of pulley to allow movement to tension belt.

The exhaust cam your on about has got the small timing locking pin lug missing,look at the rear of the inlet cam and you will see what you have lostThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 11:04
footah212

Senior User

Post #4
coskev wrote:
There are two types of pulley too,early one with three bolts you slacken to allow the movement to tension belt,and later type which you need to slacken the big bolt in the centre of pulley to allow movement to tension belt.

The exhaust cam your on about has got the small timing locking pin lug missing,look at the rear of the inlet cam and you will see what you have lostThumbs up

Thanks for the info bud , I'm just trying to understand it all a bit better

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 11:13
footah212

Senior User

Post #5
What could cause the timing to go out of sync when driving?

My mates car became a tapper at a trackday a couple of weeks ago. We think this may have been caused by dropping into a low gear without equalising the revs but what would have moved if this was the cause?

The cam belt remained intact. Again I'm just trying to understand the process.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 11:30
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #6
Sounds like either a lifter gave up the ghost (unlikely) or one of the cam pulley bolts has not been torqued up properly allowing the pulley to slip slightly. I've dropped mine a gear on track and put it on the limiter and it's never done any harm! Dunno

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 12:10
footah212

Senior User

Post #7
jeffers wrote:
Sounds like either a lifter gave up the ghost (unlikely) or one of the cam pulley bolts has not been torqued up properly allowing the pulley to slip slightly. I've dropped mine a gear on track and put it on the limiter and it's never done any harm! Dunno

It's strange because it happened at a knockhill reverse evening the other week. The same thing happened to my engine ( with him driving)last year ( although I thought it was the bottom end at the time), also on a reverse day.

We have been running track days at knockhill with 6 engined cars for years without ever having this issue.

Then we attended 3 reverse days and killed 2 engines. The only thing we could think off was that we are travelling faster going down the straight into the hairpin on a reverse day than you would be going clockwise. Brakes fade quicker and he uses engine braking more.

Before this I thought the belt had to snap to feck the timing, but 2 engines have now gone out of sync without the belt snapping. Dunno Dunno too much of a coincidence IMO .

I am now nervous of attending a reverse day until sussing out what is happening.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 12:29
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
How tight were the belts before the incidents?
Is it possible that it could have slipped a tooth on the harsh acceleration of the engine?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 13:00
footah212

Senior User

Post #9
prism7guy wrote:
How tight were the belts before the incidents?
Is it possible that it could have slipped a tooth on the harsh acceleration of the engine?

When the 1st engine let go the belt was lose ( installed before my ownership) and we assumed it had jumped a tooth.

But the 2nd engine the belt was probably slightly too tight if anything.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 13:18
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Hmm I wondered if it would have slipped a tooth with it being loose and sudden harsh acceleration.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 13:32