displaying posts 1 to 25 of 28

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: XADO products?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
ive long been warned and read many a thing about additives do squat. and i generally believe it.

however i found an old xado packet my bro used on my 1.4, he did the engine and gearbox treatments ages ago (i dont think anything was wrong with engine though). its an additive of sorts but its meant to physicaly heal your engine.

i remeber thinking when he told me hed put it in "oh dear hes a dumb as i was"

but thinking back....i gave that car some absolute s**t, even a chip that upped the rev limit to 7500 and i bounced off of it frequently..... i drove it like that for nie on 3 years and it was still as good when i scrapped it and mooved onto the gti.

so i googled them a few days back and they seem very reputable now...

just wondering if anyone else has had experience with them

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 11th Sep 2013 at 01:00
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
No need for treatments engine or gearbox IMO. I'd never ever put anything other than what's meant to be in my engine or gear box F that.

For the record my engine is completely original with regular oil changes and is currently on 137k and has no problems at all. I stretch her legs everyday without fail without the help of additives Yes

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 11th Sep 2013 at 12:01
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Agree with above tbh, use decent engine and box oil and it'll do the job just fine.

I have tried that slick 50 gearbox treatment in the past as I had it given me and it seemed to improve my old ma box but I'd imagine 99% of the improvement was from changing the oil in it. If you have it there spare it won't hurt to put it in but I wouldn't go out of my way to use it.

Ryan
Posted 11th Sep 2013 at 12:11
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
seems like your cars have been loved more than mine in the past.

Posted 11th Sep 2013 at 15:00
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
just thought id update on here.

so far so good. bout half way into my 30 pound treatment and theres a noticeable difference.

less engine vibration. more punchy responsive feeling engine. gearbox feels smoother now aswell. mpg seems to of improved. engiens is loads quieter, less tappy and whiney etc.

the oil pressures gone up aswell from 1.5ish bar upto 2.5 bar.

all in all im chuffed nd theres still another 500miles to go before its fully done.

Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 01:38
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If the oil pressure has gone up that far then there's an issue....

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 12:13
dcc

Senior User

Post #7
how are you measuring oil pressure? at what RPM is that?

205 GTI
Xsara HDI
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 13:00
dcc

Senior User

Post #8
jimmyhackers wrote:
all in all im chuffed nd theres still another 500miles to go before its fully f**ked.

EFA

205 GTI
Xsara HDI
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 13:01
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Yeah I know that low oil pressure is a bad thing, but surely having the pressure take a hike up cant be a good thing?

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 14:00
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
IIRC mine stays at 6 for ages at start up then after a while on idle it stays at 2.5 and then higher revs goes up towards the 6 and stays at 6 at very high revs, mine has done 40k miles, to give you an idea.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 14:24
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
beez_neez_gt wrote:
IIRC mine stays at 6 for ages at start up then after a while on idle it stays at 2.5 and then higher revs goes up towards the 6 and stays at 6 at very high revs, mine has done 40k miles, to give you an idea.

Oil pressure?

I have no idea with mine being a phase 3, got an oil temp gauge instead. Thought it was only the ph1's that had oil pressure gauge?

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 14:27
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Yes oil pressure but in 205 clocks that has the numbers on.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 14:44
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Put some slick 50 and fresh oil in my civic type r gearbox sorted it right out! Nice smooth gear change afterwards

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 15:41
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
So the fresh oil did it then?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 15:58
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
mines a phase one so i have a pressure gauge on my instrument panel.
it only has 87,000 miles on it but it seem to of been a hard 87,000 miles.

i did an oil change about 500ish miles prior to this treatment. that didnt help or improve oil pressure. when warm it sat at around 1.5 and under load didnt really go past 4.

it wasnt an instantaneous hike up as soon as a poured the stuff in. Gradually it keeps getting better. so curently when warm its at 2.5bars at idle and around 7 bar under load.

its reverted to this higher pressure which is found on much lower millage engines, which have probably been cared for better than mine.

higher oil pressure cant be a bad thing.....? can it?

Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 17:25
dcc

Senior User

Post #16
It will not be 7 bar unless the pressure relief valve is stuck in the pump.

205 GTI
Xsara HDI
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 18:05
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
jimmyhackers wrote:

higher oil pressure cant be a bad thing.....? can it?

Think about it, higher pressure means there's a restriction somewhere there wasn't previously...

Email me!
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 19:08
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
phillipm wrote:
So the fresh oil did it then?

Yeh I guess so but i also got that feeling that the slick 50 done it wonders

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 19:38
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
i understand a blockage isnt a good thing. i figure also if it was a blockage (which it isnt) it would have to a be a bloackage past where the sensor is mounted,
but isnt the pressure sensor mounted near the end of the oils travels (past moving parts)?

meaning all of the oil between the sensor and the oil pump is at a higher pressure.
isnt higher oil pressure more likely to maintain a protective film over all the parts its supposed to?

i guess the restrictions made have only been in the tolerancess of the oil carrying surfaces, especially the oil pump, all of which which should help raise oil pressure aswell.

arnt tighter tolerances a good thing?

Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 01:57
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
You are relying on a dial that lets face it won't be all that accurate.

It maybe a sticky valve since you get 2.5 at idle or to me it sounds like its about right with the dial maybe being a bit inaccurate etc.

Im sure you won't want too higher pressure than the engine is meant to have, else you could have more problems down the line.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 02:12
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
All this additive stuff is snake oil typically using some mixture of teflon and heavy gear oil or other cheap stuff. If it really was that great all the oil manufacturers would use it. Still, the fact this stuff is still on the market shows there is a lot of money to be made from suckers who buy it.

Just use good quality oil, much better than a cheap oil + dubious engine treatment.

Oh and on Fifth Gear the other day they dynoed a VW Corrado VR6 and got it from 177 bhp to 188 bhp in a week by using an injector cleaner, changed the oil, plugs and leads and new factory air filter. Proper maintenance FTW.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 23:26
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
7 bar of oil pressure????

Good luck with that.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 20:38
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
mik wrote:
177 bhp to 188 bhp in a week by using an injector cleaner, changed the oil, plugs and leads and new factory air filter. Proper maintenance FTW.

ive done all that and more...... and whats left for proper maintenance is on the "wait for next payday to-do list".

just wonderering what it would of taken (time and money) to increase my oil pressure by replacing numerous worn parts?

Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 01:23
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
There's a big difference between increasing oil pressure by increasing flow and removing worn components, and increasing oil pressure by either making the oil tackified or creating blockages in the engine.

You could 400psi of oil pressure, if there's no flow, your engine will die. Pressure doesn't supply and support bearings, flow does.

Email me!
Posted 9th Oct 2013 at 01:42
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
thanks for all the replies so far

im not saying your wrong. i agree with your theory.

however can i extrapolate/question?, any psi 2 or 400, with no flow....would mean essentially the oil wouldnt move on and then heat up ridiculously fast and fail. meaning very high oil tempreture was actually the fail causing issue?

lets say flow rate remains the same between two different pressures, say 1 bar and 2 bar. wouldnt 2 bar provide better wear protection?

as long as the oil doesnt exceed its tempreture limits and cause a fail that way, wouldnt 2 bar at a slower rate of flow be better than 1 bar at a faster flow?

i cant test my flow, all i have to go on is what the little pressure gague on my dial says and how the car feels. my only real argument is that it hasnt exploded or gotten worse, its gotten better. the most compelling thing is that my oil pressure has reverted back to a much lesser millage example of the same engine (taking what beez neez said as truthful)

thanks again for the replies, ill let you know how the it goes.

Posted 21st Oct 2013 at 18:19

Pages (2): [1] 2