displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Car wont start after flat battery
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Morning Guys,

I hope you can help or point me in the right direction. I have been trawling the net for answers and found a couple of threads including the one below but it hasnt answered my questions exactly

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=146563

Similar to the above the car has been running fine, however it sat idle on the drive for 7 weeks (mrs had a baby and thus hasnt been at work) I went to start it a week ago and the battery was stone dead. So i took it out and charged it.. Last night i dropped it back in expecting all to be well......

Ignition lights coming on and the engine turns over, but it does not fire. I dont believe the fuel pump is priming as i cant hear it. I havent drove the car for nigh on a year, its the mrs daily drive but i recall when the keys went in the ignition in the past and turned the first couple of clicks you can 'hear' the pump. Which i cant.

The ignition key doesnt open the doors but the central locking is working and so too is the internal lights ( i dont know if the fob was working before as the car has a clifford alarm so locking/unlocking was always done from that fob rather than the pug one). I have found my book and need to check fuse 35 as according to it, its the fuel pump.

My query is if the fuse is ok what am i looking at? Could the ECU have locked as it sat idle with no electrical power for so long? Could it just be a battery in the fob is dead and so the chip isnt transmitting to the car to allow it to start? Does the immobiliser even immobilse the fuel pump? From reading the other threads, i tried the pressing red button (fuel cutoff) to no avail and whilst there looked for the fuel pump relay i have read about. I couldnt see anything bolted with an 8mm bolt or similar to the back of the battery box, mines the 1.8 16v engine so not sure if that makes a difference. As the pictures arent working on the fuel pump relay FAQ its hard to tell what i am looking for. There is a relay type thing attached to the right of the battery box.

So frustrating as it was working fine before been sat idle. I so regret not turning it over once a week.... Sad

Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 09:04
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Try using set of jump cables just in case the batterry is fubard first.

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 09:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
check the inertia switch.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 09:23
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
will try the jump cables ta..............

welshpug, wheres the inertia switch? is that different to the red button at the back of the engine bay because i tried pressing that already.

Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 09:37
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
The inertia switch and fuel cut-off switch is the same thing. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 10:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
derp, indeed, mised you had tried that.

is the double relay near the battery ok?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 10:20
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #7
Theres a double relay on the back of the battery box, this fires up the fuel pump. Give it a "Tap" and see what happens, i had this years ago when my car had been stood turns out the relay had stuck. I banged it on the floor and reconnected it and its been fine since.... worth a try!Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 10:33
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
thanks guys, i'll try the relay that i found in that area and will update how i get on later.
Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 10:48
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Ok no jump leads tonight, can get some the weekend but pretty sure the battery is fine. I can also rule out the relay. I trying tapping it Smile but no luck. Then followed the faq bypassing it putting a paper clip between pins 5 and 8. I still cant hear the pump going when the ignition is on. Oh i also checked the fuse, #35 it looked fine and i checked continuity with a tester just to make sure.

What can i try next?

Edit: i also checked withe fuse out if i get 12v when the ignition is on and i dont!
Posted 28th Aug 2013 at 19:50
bradz

Post #10
This has clifford alarm written all over it to me - They are nothing but trouble I must of removed 5 of them. If you find the main unit trace the wires back to the original loom and remove them and join back to where it was spliced into the loom.

Adam
Posted 29th Aug 2013 at 21:52
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Hmm could be, i am going to get a recommended auto electrician out to have a look. I dont know what else to try. I definately feel its immobilser/ecu related.
Posted 29th Aug 2013 at 21:53
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Never had issue with my Clifford other than whenever the battery was off the rover alarm would reactivate and you would have to lock and unlock with the key to get rid of it.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 29th Aug 2013 at 22:10
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
May sound daft but is there fuel in the tank ?

This weather has a habit of drying it out if it has been left with the light on ? I've seen at least 2 cars with this problem ?

Posted 29th Aug 2013 at 22:31
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Yeah theres enough fuel in there, i did think earlier in the week perhaps the fuel filter had dried out but then surely id still hear the fuel pump. When i get to the 2nd click on the ignition i hear nothing. You definately used to hear a sound from the fuel tank/under the car at this stage
Posted 30th Aug 2013 at 07:15
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Is the fuel light on ?
Posted 30th Aug 2013 at 09:16
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Nope, its got 1/4 tank in there
Posted 30th Aug 2013 at 12:46
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #17
Do you have a Haynes manual?

You now need to follow the wiring diagram to see what powers the fuel pump relay...

It obviously isn't getting any power, so we need to see why the feed has disappeared. I have one I can look in later today for you if you don't possess one.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Aug 2013 at 14:52
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I dont have a haynes unfortunately. That would be really helpful, thanks Stan
Posted 30th Aug 2013 at 15:25
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
guys any chance this could be simply my key has a dead battery and thus isnt giving the signal to unlock the ecu?

Wanted to run it past here before i go and spend £££ replacing the battery and getting it reprogrammed (if thats neccessary after a battery change)
Posted 4th Sep 2013 at 12:30
306chris

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Got this sorted in the end. The most random problem ever! A cable between the big relay on the back of the ecu and the ecu itself had broken. Resoldered and the car now starts Smile
Posted 20th Oct 2013 at 16:16
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Pleased you sorted it buddy. Was gonna say the battery being flat in the key would have nothing to do with your problem Smile
You have a magnetic chip in the key which corresponds with the ignition barrel to start the car.

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 20th Oct 2013 at 23:08