displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: Gearbox Free Play
CB

Post #1
Not sure if this is a common problem on GTi-6 gearboxes but since I have had my car (1 year now) each time the car gets warm (90c+) it gets tougher putting the car into 1st and sometimes second, and generally regardless of temp is a little bit of a grind to put into reverse. I know much of this is probably down to the clutch wearing and possibly needs changing soon, however having had the clutch cable changed recently all seemed better.

On the weekend got stuck in traffic and the car heated as usual and trying to get moving forced the car into 1st. Went into gear and no problems and no other problems putting into gear now (apart from occasional reverse still).

However, since that forced 1st gear now I have some extra play of the gear lever while in gear, doesn't slip out but the gear stick can wobble around freely whilst in that gear.

Is this possibly something as simple as gear guides of sort popping out or something (can you tell I am green in this area!!!) meaning it can move around a bit. Gears all work fine but experience has shown when there is play in the gearbox it is not a good thing!

Appreciate any pointers.

CB
Posted 14th Aug 2013 at 17:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Might have bent the selector in the 'box.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Aug 2013 at 17:32