displaying posts 1 to 25 of 25

Author Subject: Need some guidance from the pug pro's
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #1
Hello fellow ladies and gentlemen where shall I start well a little intro to my peugeot 306 1.4 meridian (yes it ain't a GTI-6) but its my first car and its a peugeot, I got it last year and blew the engine in 2 months of driving as I was coming of the M1 so replaced engine all new belts serviced it then realised centre piece of exhaust needed replacing so did that and also whilst on the 306 GTI-6 club forms I replaced the rear subframe mount and bushes also did the front P - bushes and the ball joints I replaced the stabiliser links plastic ones on the front (bought of eBay) the problem I have is when I go over potholes or drains or rough road surface the passenger side makes a jingling/small clunking sound I checked and re tightened all bolts that I had undone I checked spring and seems fine bounced the car up n down and shock seems ok I tighten shock from top bolt but didn't want do it to much as it might slip I checked the calliper looks like some one had cut the sensor on brake pads so dunno If they took more off resulting in my clunk/jingle but all it tight and all bolts I checked r tight I did all the work myself including engine Thumbs up and its frustrating when you put so much effort and still left with the clunk this sound may I mention only happens when going over like proper rough or like potholes or drains I knw my tyre weight is scraping against my calliper but that shud make the clunk n jingle basically I'm more confused driving me insane I dunno as the rest if the car is ok that my ears mate being diverted to that one noise I driven it on motorways and drive it still and seems fine just that noise driving me mad please please tell me where or what to do or look for lol thanks team this is making me so stressedDunno
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 08:11
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #2
And I forgot to mention the car passed its mot end of last month with no advisories I was hoping to get something so to get a idea but it seemed fine the past 2 years have been no advisories but I think b4 that a drive side shock was mentioned but that mite been replaced as this was the first time I moted the car
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 08:30
fletch

Track Head

Post #3
You need to narrow it down.

e.g. Does it occur:

only when braking?
when turning on full lock?
over bumps?

Oh and take a breath, that was very hard to read Blink
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 08:36
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #4
It happens when only going over bumps and I replaced the ball joints as the passenger side where I'm hearing this noise ie clunk/jingle was gone as make noise when turn but now the noise is simply over bumps and rough road sorry for the essay lol LOL
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 10:25
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #5

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 10:43
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #6
Sorry guys I'm just so stressed out with it and so paranoid since I replace everything I can think off and like with the engine blowing last year I'm always under it or check the oil and violent each morning before driving it now this noise I think I'm gonna end up dying cuz of this pug lol imagine my cause of death pug symptom
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 11:01
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #7
Lol coolant not violent bloody spell checking to now errrr LOL
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 11:03
fletch

Track Head

Post #8
Theres only so many things it can be.

If it's knocking over bumps, it's typically one of the following, some of which you've already replaced:

Drop link
Shock absorber
Track rod end
Top mount
Wishbone bushes
Loose bolt
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 12:07
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #9
Thanks fletch, I have done most of them but one thing I think I may have to do again is the drop links they were from eBay and didn't really look quality, I have check for loose bolts, and track rod end seems fine as rubber seems good, but could you tell me how to check the top mount and the shock I have done the bouncing on corner and it seems to be fine, is ther any other way thanks mate sorry to be a pain, just being my first car and all that happened last year I hate any noise from it thanks guys
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 12:46
fletch

Track Head

Post #10
You could take the drop link off temporarily, and see if the noise is gone - that will eliminate that as a cause.

Top mount - more of a visual inspection thing really, does the rubber looked cracked, is it very rusty on top (if so it's probably even more rusty underneath), has it been on the car for a long time, does the bearing move smoothly when turning the wheel, is the top nut nice and tight.

Shock absorber - are there any leaks, again is it very old? Only way to check for sure is to replace it. Bounce test rarely tells you anything, you'll barely compress the spring.
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 13:30
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #11
Thanks is the top mount just top of the shock absorber, and are you talking about the wheel bearing thank sorry to sound like a fool just want make sure looking at the right things cheers
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 13:45
fletch

Track Head

Post #12
On the 306 the top mount is a piece of rubber fixing the strut assembly to the chassis. This sits on top of a bearing which allows the strut to turn smoothly as you turn the steering wheel.

Might be worth getting a garage to sort it, if you're not familiar with how the struts are assembled for safety's sake (ie. do not undo the strut top nut and have the strut assembly explode in your face as the spring is released)
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 14:06
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #13
Ok so if I jack it up and remove the wheel would I be able to see it from underneath like looking up the arch top of the shock thanks fletch you a god send mate sorry if I'm p**sing you lot off just plays on my mind all the time
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 14:39
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
My money is on drop link loose or worn

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 14:50
fletch

Track Head

Post #15
^^ This. Try the easiest/cheapest job first
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 15:25
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #16
It does sound like a dodgy drop link, is the sound more of a 'boing' sound?

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 15:46
playboyb

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Does sound like what I had on my xs which was cured by replacing drop links Thumbs up

306 1.8 xs moonstone blue-SOLD
306 gti6 supercharged china blue-SOLD
406 coupe D9 3.0 V6-SOLD

Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 18:00
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #18
Thanks guys you lots are god sends, I will get new drop links as the ones I got on them were from eBay, and looked cheap so another lesson learned, cheap ain't always best, think 2 of them cost me just over £11.00, well hopefully order them Monday from GSF and see if it cures it, thanks guys do appriciate it sorry again for being a pain in the arse but really do appriciate the help you guys have given Thumbs up
Posted 14th Jun 2013 at 20:38
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
As said, before chucking more cash at it. Simply take off the drop links to see if the noise goes away. Have you checked a spring is located properly?

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 15th Jun 2013 at 06:59
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #20
Yeah, aaron6 I will so that first, and what do you mean about the spring being located properly, also when I replaced the p-bushes and the ball joint, I accidentally took out the drive shaft, if this wasn't in properly would I experience any thing like the noises or what other symptoms will I get thanks guys
Posted 15th Jun 2013 at 19:37
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #21
Right lads, got the drop link off noise is still there so that no issue, also checked the rubber on the top mount seems good no cracks, checked shock for leaks that seems ok the old boy reacons, but holding on to the disk gave it a wiggle, and there is slight play,checked tie rod for worn or torn in rubber but was sound, thought I open it up, as I did I found grease coming out of the shaft of it do I think the grease had come out which I reacon gave the play please tell me if I'm wrong,also now I'm trying to put it back on till I can get one tomorrow but the shaft of the tie rod is spinning, not allowing me to tighten it up so please guys desperate help 2 questions, one would this been the cause of the noises and also, how do I get the old tie rod to tighten up there is no hex key slot on top of the thread, I do need to get it on just for tomorrow till I get the new tie rod as got to drop brother to work so it be a messed up situation so please please any ideas, I tried using a clamp but still spins, thanks guys
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 12:35
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
There is no hex key on the top? Sounds like that is going to be hard to tighten and if you do you'll probably end up mullering the thread by holding on to it with mole grips etc. Its one of those jobs thats p**s easy with air tools.

If you know a local MOT place it would be worth using their moving ramp to check any movement in the front end. You can often see it easily.

As for the clunk and jingling noise, that could be anything:
exhaust heat shield
exhaust hitting something
bearings in the beam
engine mounts
exhaust spring clamps

Any clunk from the driveshaft will happen on full lock and on sudden hard acceleration. Get a new boot on the CV joint, or pick up another shaft. The MA boxes do like to eat them, just be careful if you lower the car.

Nothing to see here
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 13:22
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #23
Thanks Adam, I think I will need to change the tie rod it does seemed abit fooked, the noise was like clunk/jingling like 2 metals hitting so I thing when the grease was out and the movement from rough road and potholes was hitting it, lol I hope it is that, or its just me imaging my destiny, I'm gonna give the tie rod a go managed to get the bolt to thread, but will need a new one
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 13:49
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
for the price of driveshafts I'd just replace the one that needs a boot, if its been like that a while it will be toast or nearly toast anyway.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 15:30
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #25
I had the car up, the boots seem ok, I did full lock and accelerated and no knocking, however on the o/s I did notice some grease on the cv boot and shaft, but there no rips or years or knocking on full lock, the only noise is coming from the n/s front there was slight play when moving the disk as I had wheel off and only thing I noticed was the track rod end flat like grease had come out, when takin it off I realise grease was coming out of the shaft of it, I got feeling this might be problem, it sounds like 2 metals hitting, do you guys think the track rod end would caused this thanks guys
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 16:26