displaying posts 26 to 31 of 31

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: keep or swap??
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #26
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
I disagree on the low to mid range torque being more than the 6. I have regular use of a 172 cup and they're as flat as a pancake until 5k and even then MY 6 would wipe the floor with it all day long.

My opinion but all round as a drivers car i prefer the 6.

Get it looked at. Seriously.

They really come alive at 5k yeah, but up to that point I have no complaints what so ever. In fact I would say I think it pulls better than my 205!

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 29th May 2013 at 16:48
    mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
    dangti6 wrote:
    mattgti6phase2 wrote:
    I disagree on the low to mid range torque being more than the 6. I have regular use of a 172 cup and they're as flat as a pancake until 5k and even then MY 6 would wipe the floor with it all day long.

My opinion but all round as a drivers car i prefer the 6.

Get it looked at. Seriously.

They really come alive at 5k yeah, but up to that point I have no complaints what so ever. In fact I would say I think it pulls better than my 205!

It's mechanically spot on mate. My mate also has a 172 non cup and before he charged it he also used to go backwards Yes

Not dramatically but backwards never the less.

Team Nile 6 Superman
    Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
    5 x a 306 owner!
    currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
    I truely live for the 306 ®
    Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
    midweek madness Tee hee
    Posted 29th May 2013 at 16:55
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #28
    I'm going to go looking for GTi6's to rinse in about 2 minutes LOL

• Posted 29th May 2013 at 16:59
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #29
    there's something VERY wrong with your 205 if that really is the case Dan, the J4RS lump has so much more grunt than the F4R, you are probably experiencing the MI16 effect, where they come on like a wallop at 4.5k, and what is probably why lots like the MI16, but the J4RS will always be quicker if its healthy. (in a car the same weight, like a 205 or a 309)

against a standard 306, yes a clio will be quicker, its a fair bit lighter and a very decent chassis like miles said, 200 kilos is nigh on 20% and the 172 produces around 167 bhp, the lower torque doesn't show itself as much.

but once you start looking into engine tuning the flexibility of the XU valvetrain comes into its own, the F4R is quite limiting and you hit a wall around 220-230 bhp, you have to spend big bucks likely with a Fench engine builder to get any more reliably.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th May 2013 at 16:59
    beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
    My 205 s**ts all over clios, although my engine is very healthy with 225 compression all round and 0.0410 CO reading.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 29th May 2013 at 18:41
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #31
    Plus the 205 has the GSX-R bodies and a few more ponies.

No doubt the 205 IS quicker if I put them side by side. When on track or a decent road and it's head is kicked in it takes a decent hampering and pulls very very well. It's got (well, had until last week - still on axle stands currently!) 24 year old worn suspension parts and doesn't ever inspire confidence to push on as much as I can point to point in the cup which is on coilovers.

Currently I'd say the Clio 'feels' quicker. I could drive the 205 and feel 'meh' about it trundelling along on my own but when up against some superior metal and you see how well your fairing you do realise it's actually much quicker than it feels. It's weird - I'd expect the 205 to feel like a waste basket going along but on straight roads I don't get the feedback until pushing through the next corner. I can only assume the worn components were letting it down.

Taxing it Saturday so can soon drive it again and see how it feels after driving the Cup for several months.

• Posted 29th May 2013 at 18:44

Pages (2): 1 [2]