displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Ford wheels, studs and centre bore conversion
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #1
Hi folks,

I've picked up a couple of sets of wheels, they are Ford offset and centre bore. Now if I was keeping bolts I'd have to fit a spacer / adapter, but I'm planning to convert to studs - will I still need an adapter for the centre bores, or will the spacer take the wheel out enough to clear the hub and it'll locate on the studs?

One of the sets I've got actually has conversion spacers attached to it (which was a nice surprise LOL), but a quick attempt to get them off didn't work so I'm contingency-planning in case they're stuck really fast and I need something for the other set.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:11
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
There is no such thing as Ford offset, since they can range from ET10-45, so you'll need to find that out first, also the Ford centre bore is normally smaller on the Ford wheels so it will be a spacing hub and reducing CB, but I think that a 20mm spacer that does that should be good. The PCD is the same so studs will be OK, just need to get longer ones depending on the thickness of the spacer (60mm + thickness of spacer)

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:18
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Although most Fords are ET35-40, some aren't. I can't remember what or why, they just are!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:20
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The wheels are designed to locate on the hub, not on bolts or studs. With a spacer there is more leverage against the longer studs as they are further away from the hub so it is even more critical that the wheel is located correctly. This is not an area to have things only "fit where they touch" for obvious reasons.

http://www.superforma.co.uk/hubcentric-explained

Surely you should just get a hubcentric adapter?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:26
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #5
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
There is no such thing as Ford offset, since they can range from ET10-45, so you'll need to find that out first, also the Ford centre bore is normally smaller on the Ford wheels so it will be a spacing hub and reducing CB, but I think that a 20mm spacer that does that should be good. The PCD is the same so studs will be OK, just need to get longer ones depending on the thickness of the spacer (60mm + thickness of spacer)

I know that both Pug and Ford are 4x108, that's why I got the wheels. Both sets are ET37, so a 20mm spacer is all I need. Ford are 63.3(or 4, or 5, depending where I looked) CB, Pug is 65.1.

I was just wondering if an ordinary 20mm spacer will clear the hub enough for the centre bore difference to not be a concern.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:27
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
You'll want a 20mm hubcentric reducing spacer, I've seen them before just never priced them. As Mik said the nuts are really only for location and for holding the wheel to the hub, not for holding the weight of the vehicle. Just normal spacers will work, but don't count on your wheel staying on forever...

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:31
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #7
mik wrote:
The wheels are designed to locate on the hub, not on bolts or studs. With a spacer there is more leverage against the longer studs as they are further away from the hub so it is even more critical that the wheel is located correctly. This is not an area to have things only "fit where they touch" for obvious reasons.

http://www.superforma.co.uk/hubcentric-explained

Surely you should just get a hubcentric adapter?

True, hadn't thought of that. I've been playing with Vauxhalls for the last few years where everything swaps around nicely so i hadn't had to worry about things like this. Cheers Thumbs up

I've got the hubcentric adapters attached to one set of the wheels. I just have no idea *how* attached....

Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:32