displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Fitting exhaust intermediate pipe?
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #1
How are I best to fit the new piece I have obtained?

I have jack stands and a trolley jack...any advice here? Back or front of car or both?

I assume I should remove rear silencer, then intermediate pipe. (I am fitting a genuine replacement). I have the got a new set of exhaust clamps...maybe some exhaust cement to go around the joins?

Seems fairly straight forward....

Any advice would be great...cheers!

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 7th May 2013 at 02:24
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'm not sure what it's like in Melbourne but I paid my local garage £10 to do it and it took about 5 minutes. So much easier that doing it on the floor, I just put my full system back on whilst on the floor and it wasn't hard as such, but for a tenner I would gladly pay someone to do it.

If you are going to do it yourself though, drop the whole thing off. As the CAT goes into the centre section quite a way (around 100mm) it's hard to get enough movement backwards to get it off. Then just take out the old, give the CAT and rear silencer joints a brush with a wire brush to get any crap off and put together as you removed. I use Holt Exhaust Assembly Paste, some people say that you shouldn't need to but I do as it A. Makes the exhaust easier to fit as it lubes up the pipes and B. Almost guarantees a seal even if the connections aren't perfect. Which is a distinct possibility as you are using both old and new exhausts.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 7th May 2013 at 07:14
Kale

Post #3
I usually jack up the rear of the car and place it on stands. If replacing the intermediate pipe I leave the backbox hanging around in it's place. I connect the pipes put leave the clamps loose to make adjustments. The intermediate pipe likes to twist a bit downwards and it's quite hard to keep it up when trying to tighten the front clamp (best place to twist is the corner part under the fuel tank).

Then when the pipe is where it should, first tighten the front clamp maybe with some exhaust cement to stop small leaks. With the backbox, I usually drag myself under it and twist and turn it until it meets the intermediate pipe while being right in the middle of the cut in the bumber. Then when the right position is found - clamp it up.

This is the way I've done 306s over the years.. Nothing special, you'll probably still do it your own way Big grin

306 S16 "Peugeot Sport GrpN" '94, 405 Mi16 "OEM+" '89, 605 SV24 "Executive Express" '91
Posted 7th May 2013 at 07:19