displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Removing Engine Fans - how do you do it?
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #1
Ok so I've got a sticking N/S fan unit that requires a tap to start and is sluggish - so I've got a working pair in the classifieds to fix it - question is, how can I change the unit most easily?

I only really need to swap one fan out, so can this be done from the front without removing the rad? I can see the 3 mounting bolts but have no access, perhaps you need to remove the fan blades as there is a Phillips screw on the front?

If I have to change the lot and go in from the engine side, how do you get around the aircon condenser (system is dead, but I may want to fix in future so don't want to trash it)

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
Posted 1st May 2013 at 22:03
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
take the front bumper off and its easy to swap the whole fan unit. Twist plug on the passenger side of the unit. Undo that. The rad sits in two holes in the bottom of the fan unit. Simply lift the unit a few inches (easy without draining the system) and pull the fan unit out. Job done.
Posted 1st May 2013 at 23:50
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
A word of warning - should you need to remove the blades from the fan motor itself, the 'Phillips' screw is a left hand thread. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 2nd May 2013 at 11:51
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Another word of warning, unplug the fans before you try to change them. Unlikely that they would kick in, but best to be safe Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 2nd May 2013 at 16:08
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #5
All useful...

So the Phillips Screw on the front - can that be undone to remove the fan itself, and then the motor removed with the improved bolt access?

If I can change one fan motor only that's the best option.... as everything else is fine.
Posted 3rd May 2013 at 16:15
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Your best off just changing the lot, it's so easy to do anyway

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 3rd May 2013 at 21:24
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #7
You can change just the one fan. Yes

Undo the Phillips screw and then undo the three 10mm bolts holding the fan motor to the housing. Then refit the new one. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 7th May 2013 at 17:26
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #8
stan_306gti6 wrote:
You can change just the one fan. Yes

Undo the Phillips screw and then undo the three 10mm bolts holding the fan motor to the housing. Then refit the new one. Thumbs up

I once did this,.. one had all of its screws rusted to beyond belief i gave up then came back and just made a day of it
(I only had one fan down! and didn't leave it long!)
and pulled apart thewhole front of the car removing the slam panel for better access!
but i also had a new radiator to install so 2 birds and all that!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 7th May 2013 at 17:56
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #9
Sorted it - wasn't fun but easy enough in the end... anyone else find the Air con condenser was bent outwards on the passenger side slightly? had a look in the scrap yards and a number of 306's were the same.

Thanks for the help
Posted 19th May 2013 at 13:02