displaying posts 1 to 25 of 25

Author Subject: She is tight as a drum !
greenie

Regular

Post #1
I posted for advise a little while ago regarding the handling and braking of my new project. Having received many replies with lots of good info I decided to keep a small log of my progress.
I am currently finishing a season in Switzerland so the car itself is tucked on my sisters drive awaiting my return. The car was 'donated' to me by a very close friend who owned it for over 10 years. It has had a couple of knocks but all were professionally repaired at the time. It has done 94k miles but had a whole head rebuild and cam belt done 25k ago. When I say donated, there was a deal involved. He bought himself a Focus ST as family was imminent and he wanted a four door that was not too drab. He loved his Pug and did not want to see it go for £500 and knew how much I admired the car. He gave it to me on the proviso that I would look after it, maybe upgrade it and take him on a track day or two when it was worthy.
Well, this was 1 week before I left for Switzerland. I hurredly got it through its MOT and have now spent every evening for 5 months researching mods and deciding a plan of attack for the car. I have read most of the project threads on this site and been inspired by many of them. (a bunch of very talented and dedicated individuals !)
I started buying parts and getting them delivered to my sisters ready for me.
1. Ash got in touch and I have purchased a rebuilt rear beam from him with hybrid ARB and solid mounts.
2. Magnex exhaust (full system)
3. Pipercross Viper filter
4. Bilsteins all round with Eibach springs.

Not necessarily the order in which I intended to do this but when you find a bargain, you have to buy it.
When I get home I will do the rear end first. De rust the whole under side fit the new beam and rear shocks. Remove the ABS and re run the lines with a bias valve, service the calipers etc.
When I have a little more cash the front end will get the same treatment, the shocks roller bushes, new arb bushes and drop links etc.
I will probably keep this little thread going as I hope you guys will continue to be as helpful as you have already proved to be.
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 21:16
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I see the rat has lightened your wallet. Laugh

Get pics up mate, helps a project thread along. Thumbs up

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 08:54
greenie

Regular

Post #3
Oh yeah. it didn't take long for the spending to begin.
I will get some pictures up at the beginning of May when I get home and can actually start doing some work on it.
Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 09:33
greenie

Regular

Post #4
So I am still in Switzerland and have not seen the car for 6 months but my purchases have been delivered to my sisters place.

I bought a recon rear beam from Ash that included a hybrid arb and solid mounts. I have also bought a set of Bilstein B4s front and back. I realise these are pretty much standard spec but they were silly cheap and the ones on it at the moment are shot. I needed something to get me running while I save up for some coil overs.
Originally I was planning to set the car up for road use and the occasional track day as I didnt have a day runner.
Joy of joys - got myself a 60k miles, lovely 206 gti for the regular driving so I can now go all out on the 306.

So my questions to you guys are. Should I get hold of some 21mm torsion bars to go with the hybrid arb so it can be fit all at once. I feel this is a good idea so that when I can afford the coil overs the rear is all done.
I intend to get some rollers for the front wishbones for when I fit the new front shocks and remove the ABS, but should I be doing anything with the front Arb apart from renewing bushes and drop links.

I also have a stainless magnex system and pipercross viper to fit. Should I put the decat on at the same time ?
Will it be too loud and get me pulled over all the time ?

As usual, thanks in advance for your help.
Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 19:44
greenie

Regular

Post #5
I am home from Switzerland and have picked the car up from my sisters place. I filled it with all my new and old parts and got it home ready for the work to get started.
I intend to go get my compressor etc and clean up the arches and underside while its all in bits. I have been inspired by the work you guys all do and feel the need to do a 'proper' job. It is after all a '6' and requires the love it deserves, right!
Having bought the beam from Ash with solid mounts and a hybrid beam I decided to track down some 21mm torsion bars. After asking the guy breaking the 306 estate 3 times to check that the bars he had were 21mm I agreed to buy them.

They arrived and are 20mm. Does any one need a set of 20mm torsion bars, you can have em for what I paid for em. £50 delivered !

Anyway, I also bought some Rich W roller bearings from Ash so the front end should be a little tighter too.
I have 1 week before I start work. I wonder if it will get done in time ?

Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 20:49
greenie

Regular

Post #6
How do I add pictures to this thread ? There was one in the last post but it doesnt seem to be there now
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 20:54
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Get the image link, and then encase it with [img] and then the same again without the space [/ img]

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 20:56
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I think everyone is doing the same this summer, 6's getting sorted left right and centre here. 20mm torsion bars are GTi6 standard bars so not sure if you can do much with them, bet there are loads kicking about the forum but I may be wrong?

So it was you that had the rollers off Ash! He told me to grab them off him on the Friday and then didn't get hold of me! I've got to wait 3 weeks now for Rich_W to make a fresh batch, since someone had the last set off him the other day. I bet it was Elliot!

To add photos you need a photobucket account and then link the address of the photo to here

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 21:00
greenie

Regular

Post #9
Thanks.
Its great to hear about the cars getting a doing up. This forum is proving pretty useful and inspiring.
Here the beast at the moment.

[url=http://http://s969.photobucket.com/user/mgreen201074/media/IMG_3343_zps7b39cba3.jpg.html]
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 21:17
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
To add an image you type img instead of url [img ] address [/img ] no =

You say inspiring, soon robbing

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 21:22
greenie

Regular

Post #11
Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 20:52
greenie

Regular

Post #12
Yeah, got it.
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 21:50
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Thumbs up

Hopefully the next 100 will be from underneath

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 21:54
greenie

Regular

Post #14
I am going to get stuck in tomorrow and will document the progress. It will be attacking the beam I just bought first. Get it cleaned up and greased, check and paint the calipers and beam itself. Then onto the bottom of the car.
I am looking forward to it as I have been in Switzerland for 5 months and not had a spanner in my hand all that time.
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 22:14
greenie

Regular

Post #15
]Very little progress on the car itself recently as work kicked off earlier than expected. It also developed a water pump leak so priorities changed a little.
I have decided to change the water pump and do a cam belt change at the same time. While its all out I am removing the air con and putting in an alloy crank pulley to ensure correct timing.
I have spent a few evenings cleaning the beam and sorting out a few issues with it. I 'rustoleumed' the whole thing and gave it 3 coats of industrial hard black paint, then baked it.
I have also picked up some more parts to fit when I have the time, so the list is now as follows

Pug1off quick shift
Pug1off gear rods
Rallye aux kit
discs and pads
track rod ends
balls joints
hybrid arb
rich w roller bearings
magnex 3" full system ( not convinced I will use it, maybe too loud)
bilstein b4's (as a temporary fix while I save for the variants I really want)
New nickel brake lines throughout with bias valve having removed the ABS and standard compensator.
Oil flush and service.
Alloy crank pulley
Timing belt kit

Work is slow again now so I hope to do all the work at the same time. Is it going to make a difference to the way the car feels? It had better, it feels loose at the moment so all the new bushes and suspension should really tighten it up. New brakes are a good call too.
Looking forward to going for that first spin!

Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 20:53
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Will feel spot on with all that added palYes

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 19th May 2013 at 21:24
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
personally, i get proper bottom shock bolts for your beam. or at least turn the bolt around

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 19th May 2013 at 21:30
greenie

Regular

Post #18
Thanks Jord
They are brand new bolts just popped in to mock it all up. They are only there so I can move it around !
Posted 19th May 2013 at 21:38
greenie

Regular

Post #19
So here we go then.
The water pump leak has got to be a problem now so tonight I bit the bullet.
I have all the parts ready so decided that with tomorrow off I would tackle the cam belt change and water pump.

[/img]

Bearing in mind I intended to remove all the air con, fit a rallye aux kit and alloy pulley at the same time it seemed easier to remove a few bits to make the job more accessible.

[/img]

The bumper has not been fitting too well and there are several little issues that I will be able to deal with while this is in bits. I have some uprated engine mounts coming and will do the top engine mount mod mentioned on the forum while I am at it. I also ran some oil treatment through for 5 mins before dismantling and drained the oil ready for new filter and fresh new golden stuff.
Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 22:20
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Looks quite clean - not too much rust.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 9th Jul 2013 at 17:25
greenie

Regular

Post #21
Yeah Mik.
I am really pleased with the overall condition of the body. The paint work is a little sorry for itself but underneath having done the rear beam now I found very little to worry about under there. All the arches are free of rot as are both sills. A very good body indeed. I am considering a respray because of this.
I will post more pictures tonight as I fitted all the new roller bearings, shocks, brakes, beam and removed the aircon and abs last week. All in all it feels lovely to drive now with new shocks solid mounts and bbm engine mounts throughout.
Posted 9th Jul 2013 at 19:12
greenie

Regular

Post #22
All fitted and chuffed to bits with the results. The car now feels smooth responsive and tight. Gear change is great and steering response is accurate.
During the work I was pleased with the overall condition of the underside but decided to give it a coat of heavy duty rust inhibitor any way. a few pictures of the work in progress.
[/img]

[/img]

the new brake lines fitted:
[/img]

recon beam , calipers and new shocks:
[/img]

Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 20:41
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
I think everyone is doing the same this summer, 6's getting sorted left right and centre here. 20mm torsion bars are GTi6 standard bars so not sure if you can do much with them, bet there are loads kicking about the forum but I may be wrong?

So it was you that had the rollers off Ash! He told me to grab them off him on the Friday and then didn't get hold of me! I've got to wait 3 weeks now for Rich_W to make a fresh batch, since someone had the last set off him the other day. I bet it was Elliot!

To add photos you need a photobucket account and then link the address of the photo to here

PMSL, Just saw this.
IT WAS ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.
The end.

Car looks tidy mate Smile

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 22:05
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Good stuff, should get some solid engine and gearbox mounts too, make a world of difference Thumbs up

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 22:48
greenie

Regular

Post #25
Already done actually.
I fitted solid bottom mount with kam racing hard rubber fork bush and bbm hard rubber gearbox and upper engine mounts.
Makes throttle response clean and gear change silky.
Just can't drive it enough now !
Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 10:56