displaying posts 51 to 56 of 56

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: Supercharger
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Primarily turbo's are favoured over superchargers for their efficiency. If you imagine all that hot, high speed exhaust gas just disappearing down a pipe. The energy needed to compress the intake air has to come from somewhere, with a turbo it's taken from the exhaust gasses, but with a supercharger it comes straight from the crankshaft via a belt and those gasses just carry on as they were, wasting energy.

I think it's BMW or someone subcontracted by them who have been toying with the idea of steam jackets on the exhaust that drive compressors as well. Anything to recuperate lost energy.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 00:29
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #52
eliotrw wrote:
You know they put salt on the roads this week though right? :p

Yes I do, and I'm not overly pleased about it! Angry

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 08:14
mabgti

NV motors

Post #53
See what happens to a hoover when you put your hand at the end of it.. This is typically what is happening with a draw through system.. it works and i have one.. but no doubt bearing lift and compressor damage is caused by the CAP (butterfly) closing causing stress whilst still spinning at 10,000 rpm!

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 14:20
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #54
Yeah, it doesn't happen with the system I have on my car which incorporates the use of a dump valve as the butterfly is after the charger as opposed to before it. Wink

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 15:09
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't happen with the system I have on my car which incorporates the use of a dump valve as the butterfly is after the charger as opposed to before it. Wink

Smile sounds awesome!!!

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 20:33
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
mabgti wrote:
See what happens to a hoover when you put your hand at the end of it.. This is typically what is happening with a draw through system.. it works and i have one.. but no doubt bearing lift and compressor damage is caused by the CAP (butterfly) closing causing stress whilst still spinning at 10,000 rpm!

You think there's less stress when it's constantly pushing against a closed throttle plate and/or dump valve spring?
Even with a shut throttle it's not pulling a perfect vacuum, so fairly low in terms of stress, even with the torque reversal, the whole idea of the shear drive system is that it can cope with slip on rapid acceleration/deceleration/torque change, it just puts more stress on the fluid.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 15th Mar 2013 at 21:23

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]