displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: piper vs magnex
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I have had a piper cat back system for a few years and never really had any issues with it. I love the sound and compliments the bmc cda very well. And like the fact its only a 3" tail pipe.

Anyways i miss the pops and bangs of my scorpion from my saxo so i recently got a magnex 4".

I am not overly keen on the size of the tail pipe but i dont mind looking like a chav for some even more chavvier pops and bangs Smile but i did notice the pipe bore is about 65mm which is bigger than the piper.

After fitting it i am not to impressed with the raspy sound ( as the piper has a deep burble ) and no pops and bangs but its seems so much quicker on acceleration but seems to be loosing torque Huh?

My question is....
Is the larger diameter of the magnex letting it rev quicker than the smaller diameter piper or am i imagening things. Not got as much 4k rev launch in 2nd gear as the piper.

And has the magnex 3" got the same tube bore as the 4"?? Not the tail pipe obviously.

Thanks

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 23rd Feb 2013 at 17:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
magnex is the same regardless of tailpipe, 4" just makes more chavvy noise, 2.5 is the one you want.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Feb 2013 at 17:48
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
2.5 bore I fitted to my rallye made a massive difference over the scorpion I had before. Felt a lot nicer top end wise and pulled a shed loads better

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 23rd Feb 2013 at 19:13
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
Larger bore on an NA vehicle will lose torque as you will be down on back-pressure. That's why on a vehicle which is boosted it is an advantage to have a larger diameter bore to get the gases out quicker and the lack of torque is countered by the extra input from the forced induction.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 13th Mar 2013 at 13:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
Going too large will increase back pressure due to the exhaust gases stalling, with boost the volume of gas is higher hence the use of a larger bore.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Mar 2013 at 13:43