displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Brembo pad change
funkymonk

Regular

Post #1
I have ashs 310mm brembo kit and the time has come for new pads, I have read on renault sport forums that there can be issues with removing the pad retaining pins and I'm sure there was some mention on here I think from Phillipm about using bolts instead of the pins? Have searched but can't find it so I may just be going senile!! Any thoughts on this?

Also help with pad choice ideally from people that have used this set up, DS2500s have had bad press recently, what do we think of blue stuff pads for mainly road and the odd track outing, I recall I think Phillipm again saying he tested the new bluestuff pads on his car and rated them well?

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 14:12
staley_306

Regular

Post #2
I know ive just changed the pads on my megane (same calipers) and had no issues with the retaining pins. Fitted red stuffs and am quite happy for the price and the normal road use it gets.
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 14:14
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Heard some good stuff about the RC5+ carbon lorraine pads, I loved the 6s in those calipers but they muller those less than great discs.

Volvo guys swear by carbotech xp8s

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 14:16
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I'm not a fan of 'stuff' pads...
DS2500's all the way for me on my 330 setupNinja
Guessing you have the Renault calipers so I can't comment I'm afraid

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 14:17
funkymonk

Regular

Post #5
Cheers guys, yeah Staley_306 have heard it is pot luck if they are willing to come out or not and knowing my luck they will be stuck fast!

Adam, I remember you saying about the RC6's munching discs and making a mess, will take a look at the RC5s. Any better options than the hi spec discs that you know of?

Wayne, I've never considered them before Phil mentioned them on here. Was there not an issue with standard 6 calipers with 2500s disintegrating quickly? And what is happening with your build these days??

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 14:42
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I'd speak to ash hargreaves or denis and find out if you found another company.
Has to be rc5+, the older rc5 weren't great.

The rc6 were awesome.

I'm looking for pads at the mo too. Similar thing. Miss the police spec Volvo ones...2500 style pads for under £50...

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 14:55
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Bluestuff NDX were a nice step up from DS2500 and 1144's without being massively aggressive - they had more initial bite when cold and a touch more overall power.

However, the first time I cooked them they left deposits all over my discs and the pads have never been consistant since - you never know how much power is there when you first hit the pedal, which is disconcerting for a pad that's supposed to be made for endurance race abuse. Had no issues with cracking or crumbling at all though.

XP8's blow them into the water for everything but they ain't cheap these days.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:02
funkymonk

Regular

Post #8
Yeah good thinking, will drop them a PM, ok so RC5+ looking like an option.

Bluestuff maybe not so much after that! Will look into the XP8's, did you say something about replacing the pins in brembo calipers Phil? Or have I made that up?

Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:07
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
For the safari cars we just tap a thread in the ally where the pin goes and put a cap head bolt through instead, for example:

Has the benefit of stiffening the caliper bridge too.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:25
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
funkymonk wrote:

Wayne, I've never considered them before Phil mentioned them on here. Was there not an issue with standard 6 calipers with 2500s disintegrating quickly? And what is happening with your build these days??

I do remember an issue with DS2500's delaminating from the backing on pads designed for std 6 calipers, that was a bad batch apparently & was years ago...
My Rallye is still in the garage, funds are tight nowadays but I'm still buying bits slowly away...

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:28
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
midlife wrote:
funkymonk wrote:

I do remember an issue with DS2500's delaminating from the backing on pads designed for std 6 calipers, that was a bad batch apparently & was years ago...
My Rallye is still in the garage, funds are tight nowadays but I'm still buying bits slowly away...

Cool

Are you sure that wasn't M1144s?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
They both went through issues at one time IIRC.

Email me!
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:30
funkymonk

Regular

Post #13
Phil, that looks like a much better long term solution, I will get someone more skilled than myself to take a look at tapping out the hole!

Wayne, ok wasn't sure if it was an isolated issue. Good luck with the rallye! Get it sorted man!!

Looking at Phils original bluestuff thread it looks like Ash and Dennis recommended Mintex F6s to Cosmic, just phoned the motorfactors and apparantly Mintex only do the F4 now, they take 6-7 weeks to make to order and are £328 + VAT does that sound right!??

So far is looking like:
Bluestuff are around £110
DS2500s are around £130
RC5+ are around £180

Haven't got a price from Carbotech for the XP8s yet. This is starting to look expensive!

Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:50
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
What about genuine renaultsport pads?

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 15:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
XP8's should be roughly the same as the RC5's

Email me!
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 16:35
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #16
midlife wrote:
DS2500's all the way for me on my 330 setupNinja

100% this...Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 25th Jan 2013 at 19:58
funkymonk

Regular

Post #17
Ok so standard brembo/renaultsport pads are just under £100 from shop, or maybe £35 from eBay if these are the correct ones??
clicky

And found more standard RS ones for £75 so question is how much better are the DS2500s?

Posted 27th Jan 2013 at 23:27
funkymonk

Regular

Post #18
Ordered some DS2500s just to see what all the hoo ha is about! Phil this is highly likely to be a stupid question, can longer bolts and nuts be used instead of tapping the caliper body?

Posted 31st Jan 2013 at 01:31
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Possibly, you have the issue of the nuts vibrating off then though, as most nuts have quite a loose thread....probably be okay with nylocks.

Email me!
Posted 31st Jan 2013 at 12:57