displaying posts 1 to 25 of 100

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: 205 gti-6 trackcar tweeks
Jake

Regular

Post #1
Howdy all!

Thought I would start a progress thread for this as I'm getting carried away with it and doing more changes than I thought haha. Anyways, found this car on eBay form a fella in Birmingham who is also on here, after a late bit of bidding I won woohoo! even tho I went over I wanted to spend but it has all the mods I was going to do for track so I was happy.
The time came to pick it up and I struggled to find someone to collect it from Birmingham to durham for a decent price and an acceptable time on shiply.co.uk as they wanted to collect it during the week which was no good but eventually found a local lad that would do it so the trip was on. After the 4hour drive down in a trannie that wasn't well I eventually came back with this:-

The spec is as follows:

Engine:

306 gti 6 engine
6 speed box
Re angled manifold (engine at correct angle)
Solid mounts
Quick shift modified linkage with mi16 stick and reverse cable
Larger 309 gti radiator lowered to allow room for inlet
Twin cooling fans on a switch
Uprated cams ( according to engines last owner) so sold as standard due to no proof
unlocked gti6 ECU
Bespoke alternator setup - no AC
Pulls very well right upto limiter and the ratios of the 6 box really suit track driving.
Spiky (off the 205 drivers forum) engine loom
Re angled down pipe and full magnex exhaust system

Drivetrain:

Bilstien shocks and springs
Polybushed 309 gti wishbones and 309 gti driveshafts (only 2 years old)
205 gti 1.9 hubs with
Drilled grooved 206 gti180 discs and calipers
Drilled rear discs with new pads
BRAIDED HOSES ALL ROUND
New brake pipe and brake bias mounted by handbrake
Beam fully rebuilt 2 years ago
Solid alloy rear mounts
Poly bushed
New drop links
309 gti ARB
1.9 wheels with Toyo Proxis T1R's (seen one trackday so at least one left in them)

Body:

Steel grey 1.9 gti shell - rust free and still in pretty good condition
Aluminium plated sunroof
10 point OMP roll cage with extra harness bar
Single bucket and 4 point harness (out of a jap drift car)
Gti passenger seat and 3 point harness (not currently fitted)

It is in very good condition for its age and even better considering it's a trackcar and the grey looks awesome! Just needs the petrol cap trim and spoiler and all should be good for the outside plus a few mods I have planned which I'm on with now. Inside wasn't the best and needs a major revamp, a bit of surface rust that needed taking care of and a very rough paint finnish on the cage and a white backed seat that I wasn't a big fan of, these aren't big issues btw just things I wanted changing/tidying up. When in got the car home it was misfiring badly but as it was late and I was fudged I called it a day and went for a kip.

First thing to do was fix the misfire so after a bit of inspection of the plugs it turned out one of the coil packs was loose, the bolts had came out so the coil pack so wasn't on top of the plug properly! At least that was a quick fix which means the other problem can be looked at, the 205 can't idle so the inlet was taken off for a clean up of the sensors unfortunately to no avail so I've ordered a idle control valve as that is what most have suggested.

Whilst I was trying to source parts I spent my time stripping the interior or what is left of it haha so seat, cage and dash out and the sound deadening behind it, also binned the fans and heater matrix for a bit of weight saving.

Didn't plan on starting a thread so apologies for the lack of decent pics but Here's a few pics before work started, I don't look as bad in the pics as I had cleaned it up a bit;

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m598/Shakey__Jake/6BC55D65-6E9E-4C34-91C0-D487A52A7DB6-6220-000003B537A11AD2.jpg

Lots of sanding it looked like this:-

Which wasn't enough so got eddy on the job with a wire wheel in a grinder to do it properly and quicker! Also taped up the interior with all the stuff Eddy was going to use for painting his car Haha cheers fella!

Some "Krust" rust treatment to finish it off before primer so no rust would come back and it was time to paint!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 14th Jan 2013 at 22:51
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #2
what's with these threads, Ph1 306's, Graphite 205's, i want them back lol
Posted 14th Jan 2013 at 23:07
Jake

Regular

Post #3
Primed! And it's the first time it seen day light in ages! No lights in the garage is a pain in the the bot. It's hard working prepping in candle light Razz

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 14th Jan 2013 at 23:10
turbowagon

Regular

Post #4
Love this best of both cars in one package , looks good so far

slowest project car ever.com
Posted 15th Jan 2013 at 18:34
Miami205gti

Regular

Post #5
Looking good! Smile

Pug 205 gti 1.9 Miami blue
Pug 207 gt hdi

Posted 15th Jan 2013 at 18:43
Jake

Regular

Post #6
Also prepped and primed the cage.

Taped up all the fabric on the seat and took off the beading to prep and paint it the same color as the inside of the car.

I should have got more photos!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 15th Jan 2013 at 22:51
Jake

Regular

Post #7
Lick of paint Big grin was going to do the cage grey but decided to keep it red and make it stand out!

Painted these suckers black because they just look s**t!

Ill get some pics of the interior at the weekend.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 15th Jan 2013 at 23:14
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Good work jake are you going to be able to keep it on all four wheels mate just you spun an evo few times I reckons you will roll this bad boy!!

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 16th Jan 2013 at 04:50
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
chrisd306 wrote:
Good work jake are you going to be able to keep it on all four wheels mate just you spun an evo few times I reckons you will roll this bad boy!!

LOL not long now till its ready eh. All painted up seat back in, cage in, some of the windows back in... Can i have my garage back now Laugh my ass off

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 16th Jan 2013 at 16:12
Jake

Regular

Post #10
eddy_gti6 wrote:
chrisd306 wrote:

LOL not long now till its ready eh. All painted up seat back in, cage in, some of the windows back in... Can i have my garage back now Laugh my ass off

Should be on the road very soon ready for a trackday!

chrisd306 wrote:

Hahaa!
The way this 3 wheels I might tip it over!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 19th Jan 2013 at 17:40
Jake

Regular

Post #11
Best add a pic of what it looks like!

Interior is now painted in a RAL 2k paint as its alot more durable and doesn't need lacquered which is best for the inside, the color I chose was a light grey as I'm not a fan of dark interiors. Cheers to eddy for painting it!

Started putting it back together and lost some of the little bolts for the rear quarter window so started making some new ones out of 4mm thick polycarbonate, luckily we have a CNC at work so made the job much easier. Started by taking dimensions of the windows an input to the CAD software:-

Start with this little off-cut from some other work:-

Chop chop:-

Chop some more:-

TAA DAA! Few seconds later:-

Then ran another:-

Now just need to fit them...

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 19th Jan 2013 at 18:02
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Jake wrote:
eddy_gti6 wrote:
chrisd306 wrote:

Should be on the road very soon ready for a trackday!

chrisd306 wrote:

Hahaa!
The way this 3 wheels I might tip it over!

306's are easy to tip....

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 19th Jan 2013 at 18:10
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Good work jake. Happy to help Smile

Dave there not that easy... Laugh my ass off

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 19th Jan 2013 at 18:29
Jake

Regular

Post #14
Got a bit of work done before the snow came. First up was sorting the non-existant tick over by changing the idle control valve. Ordered one off crspares on here, cheers for the quick delivery fella Thumbs up So whipped the inlet manifold off for easy access:

Changed it over and hoped for the best when it came to trying it for the first time. Worked a treat Big grin happy days.

Another job on the to do list was changing the knackered boot lock, but as it'a track car I went for these locking pins, never seen these ones used before but thought I would give them a try:-

Then came the nervous time of drilling a hole in my boot! Spent a while getting them lined up properly before drilling.

Also bought a fire extinguisher as I've seen a few car on track burst into flames and I've had a fuel line pop off on the 205 and squirt petrol all over the engine bay so though I would be on the safe side and get one.

Fitted pics coming soon....

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 27th Jan 2013 at 22:00
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Could have got a few more pics today in the snow Cool

Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 00:10
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Any updates on this jake Whistle

Posted 20th Feb 2013 at 08:13
Jake

Regular

Post #17
Ha! I'm not very good at these threads Blush

Will update soon.

And when the fudge did you come back? Planning on another gti6?Big grin

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 20th Feb 2013 at 10:21
Takedown

Senior User

Post #18
nice, did you use normal paint and rolled it? brush?

Posted 20th Feb 2013 at 19:06
Jake

Regular

Post #19
Takedown wrote:
nice, did you use normal paint and rolled it? brush?

Used two pack paint on it with a compressor and spray gun the colour is off the RAL chart (I'm sure I pointed at a different colour to the bloke in the shop!)

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 20th Feb 2013 at 23:41
bogibond

Junior User

Post #20
What have you payed for the locking pins?
Looking forward how they look like fitted
Posted 21st Feb 2013 at 13:37
Jake

Regular

Post #21
Right then, an update.

As I have the memory of a fish ill update off the pictures I've got, so first up was getting a spare set of wheels for the track tires. Managed to find a set of 1.9gti speedlines on Facebook for £40 which is a bargain! Nice and straight too, just need to get get round to sanding them down and painting them dark grey.......or black.......or light grey haha I need to make my mind up first! But as I bought the wheels at Christmas I now have a set of A048s on them that we're bought off eddy when he started to split the V6 for parts (cheers matey).

Next up was making a new dash panel as I've pulled the heaters and fans out so have no need for vents, turned out harder than I thought LOL I didn't get any pics as I made it in my breaks at work but just made a template out of cardboard to get the right shape then cut it out in polycarbonate, to mount it I made loads of aluminum brackets the bolt to the plastic and riveted my polycarbonate to that, but the poly is hard to bend so needed to heat it to get it to take the shape of the heater vents then pinched some of eddy's rivets to fit and painted it. My cut off switch and some other switches will be mounted in it, I'm happy with it. Here's a pic

Whilst I was fiddling with the dash some of the wires had FELL out of a multi-plug on the back of the clocks and when I tried getting them back in more fell out! So had to find out where the the wires went in the multi-plug and fight the plug to get it apart! All is back together now with few new bulbs in the clocks so all is good just need to get my rev counter working and it will be done. Also got a OMP deep dish wheel and a boss off eddiebeano, the wheel needed a coat of paint so that is what I done soon as I got it.

In the spray booth/shed it went

Went to fit it and these two suckers were in the way! Got the hack saw out for the first one then got sick and whipped out the angle grinder for the second one.

Done and dusted, just needs heater vent blanks and a Hoover!

Thanks for reading,
Jakey

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 22nd Feb 2013 at 20:09
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
As for vents just get some off cuts of polycarb mate and i will wrap them in black for you as i have a good bit vynal left off doing my badges on the clio Cool
Will pop down in the morning. Need to clear the gatage out and shift the v6.

Posted 22nd Feb 2013 at 23:06
Jake

Regular

Post #23
bogibond wrote:
What have you payed for the locking pins?
Looking forward how they look like fitted

They were about £14 off eBay they are a bit bright so will paint them black. Pics will come soon.

eddy_gti6 wrote:
As for vents just get some off cuts of polycarb mate and i will wrap them in black for you as i have a good bit vynal left off doing my badges on the clio Cool
Will pop down in the morning. Need to clear the gatage out and shift the v6.

Aye will do, start button and another switch on the one next to the steering wheel. I like switches Big grin

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 24th Feb 2013 at 13:10
Jake

Regular

Post #24
Next up was fitting the aerocatches, expensive little things but well engineered.

Bought them from EPracing and soon as they arrived I got on with fitting them.

These come with backing plates which make for a much tidier and easier to fit than without backing plate.

Started by working out where I wanted the catch to be placed by eyeing it up, drill through the slam panel when I was happy with a small drill bit then measured it to be the same on the other side and drilled to correct size and fitted the pins.

Once that was done I closed the bonnet onto the pins which put a little mark on the underside of the bonnet and drilled through it to reveal a perfectly aligned pin!

After that I wanted my pins to have a cool funkey angle to them so marked off the angle I wanted them to sit at not forgetting the mega amounts of masking tape to protect the paint!

Used them lines to make use of the marking on the fitting template and chopped the fooker oot!

Also chopped out the back to allow room for the backing plate to be fitted

Got the pin perfectly aligned with the catch and drilled and fitted the Allen key bolts

Job well done Big grin

Some pics I got the the new bits fitted:

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 24th Feb 2013 at 13:52
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Hmm them sparco seats look nice Big grin Whens it in for MOT?

Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 16:26

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last